Sponsored

Does anyone know of a long range fuel tank?

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I think you could have a custom 17 gal tank made that snugs up to the bulkhead & gravity-feeds for less money, and it would take up less space in the bed vs. having to keep the spare tire back there. DIY install & no electronics.
Then again, perhaps on the diesel JT deleting the muffler would not be an issue (assuming they actually do start building them)

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
How much fuel do you really need? Fill up before you go, top off near trail, that’s at least 200 miles oh wheeling at 10 mpg, carry a rotopax or two and you should be fine. With two rotopax that’s about 90 Mikes of two wheeling (get there and back gas). Rember extra fuel costs room, weight and money for installation, that unless you are crossing the Congo you are likely not gonna need. In those rare times it’s iffy, buy a spare 5 gal plastic can for. That incident. Save the room for water and food recovery first aid gear. IMHO

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Early Bronco's had an aux tank w/ a floor switch as well = worked perfect until the plastic tank would get brittle from the gasoline & crack...

Ecodiesel JT's will come with a DEF tank, the one on my GC is 8 gallons. Delete DEF & you have a perfect spot for 8 additional gallons of fuel if you can integrate the space with the main tank space.
The early Broncos had to have two tanks, my 74 had a 12 gallon main tank and a 10 gallon aux tank. 302 with C4 auto 33" gumbo mudders got 10 MPG. But it would go any where as long as it had gas.

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How much fuel do you really need? Fill up before you go, top off near trail, that’s at least 200 miles oh wheeling at 10 mpg, carry a rotopax or two and you should be fine. With two rotopax that’s about 90 Mikes of two wheeling (get there and back gas). Rember extra fuel costs room, weight and money for installation, that unless you are crossing the Congo you are likely not gonna need. In those rare times it’s iffy, buy a spare 5 gal plastic can for. That incident. Save the room for water and food recovery first aid gear. IMHO
My reasons for wanting a larger fuel capacity is because unfortunately i have to live actual life more than i get to play, and that means my gladiator spends more time on the interstate than on the trail. And i really like being abel to go 500+ miles between stops on long trips. I would also want a larger tank in place of the factory tank vs a tank in the bed.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
My reasons for wanting a larger fuel capacity is because unfortunately i have to live actual life more than i get to play, and that means my gladiator spends more time on the interstate than on the trail. And i really like being abel to go 500+ miles between stops on long trips. I would also want a larger tank in place of the factory tank vs a tank in the bed.
You can go 6+ hours without peeing? Damn, I can barely make it past the next gas station!

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Because you don't always get 10mpg:

Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know of a long range fuel tank? Loves_Lake_Powell-2352

And you can easily be more than 200 miles from the nearest gas station. Sure you can carry spare cans of gas, but that actually takes up space and saves you no weight compared to having a aux tank. The aux tank also makes life much easier, no smelling of gas when you are driving another 8 hours that day.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
You can go 6+ hours without peeing? Damn, I can barely make it past the next gas station!
Hell sometimes i can’t even make it to the next gas station and I have to stop and take a tactical on the side of the road. That’s why I try to travel at night now.

Sponsored

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Heck i can go over 550 with the 35 gallon tank in my Ram 3500. Not pulling of course. And man do i wish it had the factory 50 gallon tank. I think the titan tank is 60 or more though. To have 60 gallons in that truck without taking up bed space. That would be awesome. I would think somebody could at least figure out how to get 30 or so under the gladiator. And that would be ample i think.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Well that depends a lot on wether you’re a weekend warrior or into long range overlanding...

‘’I am the latter and have driven many long trips (over 1000 miles) with little or no support, so yes additional fuel carried onboard makes a lot of sense. Just a case in point, I’m coming back from a 3 month trip from VA to Alaska (currently in Indiana). On this trip we went to Prudhoe Bay which is a 500mile each way trip with very few places to refuel (particularly considering the various Covid closures). With diesel going for $4.89 at the pump in Prudhoe you don’t want to think how much it would cost for someone to bring you 10 gallons of fuel to make it to the next place that offers it...

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Heck i can go over 550 with the 35 gallon tank in my Ram 3500. Not pulling of course. And man do i wish it had the factory 50 gallon tank. I think the titan tank is 60 or more though. To have 60 gallons in that truck without taking up bed space. That would be awesome. I would think somebody could at least figure out how to get 30 or so under the gladiator. And that would be ample i think.
Long Range America is working on a 17 gallon aux tank for under the JT. They send me the attached PDF on it. I don't think it is for sale just yet though. I think their JK tanks ran about $1500.

Attachments

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
I know it’s unlikely but I hope they come up with a way to do a reasonable aux tank and retain the spare tire under the bed.

Seems like a larger primary tank is the way to go. You’d think Genrite or Titan would be working on it but....