Sponsored

Does anyone know of a long range fuel tank?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So, not exactly what you're looking for, but. I want some extra fuel for reasons that are my own. I DON'T want Jerry cans, gas cans, rotopax, etc. And I want to be able to remove it quickly.

So I bought a 17 gallon fuel cell, and will be using the L Track in the bed to secure it, an electric fuel pump to transfer, and vented through a home brewed charcoal vapor canister. It's all very light and reasonably inexpensive. The pick up and return ports will be capped except when transferring fuel, and the vent has a roll over valve in it.

The ratchet strap in the picture works great, but I'm going to build a steel retainer and exoskeleton for it. Work in progress

0628201317_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bgenivtex
What your system is probably the best available and most cost effective.. :like: plus it's only there when you need to haul it and no mods to fuel system that could develop leaks / problems.
It should not be hard to locate one, then install securely in bed. Transfer tanks are fairly common in a lot of places here in USA and probably in Canada too.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Bgenivtex
What your system is probably the best available and most cost effective.. :like: plus it's only there when you need to haul it and no mods to fuel system that could develop leaks / problems.
It should not be hard to locate one, then install securely in bed. Transfer tanks are fairly common in a lot of places here in USA and probably in Canada too.
I've got about $225 in the tank,pump,fittings like it sits there.

The L Track was going in anyway, and I do still need to run wire and finish the vapor canister, but I'll end up with maybe $300 in it.

ETA: that tank,pump and fittings all came off of ebay

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just spent 20+ minutes under mine looking to see if any space under it. Thinking that there should be at least a space for a second (house) battery. I'm thinking the space after the transfer case next to drive shaft could fit one with heat shielding. Really no place for aux fuel tank with out modification of mufflers and pipes or spare tire storage. So if I do a aux fuel tank it's going in the bed too.
I've got about $225 in the tank,pump,fittings like it sits there.

The L Track was going in anyway, and I do still need to run wire and finish the vapor canister, but I'll end up with maybe $300 in it.

ETA: that tank,pump and fittings all came off of ebay
Are you installing the vapor can for fuel venting by heating up, sloshing around, evaporation and ECT. Or going to plumbing in and run off of that tank too?
I might have missed it if you posted it already.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I just spent 20+ minutes under mine looking to see if any space under it. Thinking that there should be at least a space for a second (house) battery. I'm thinking the space after the transfer case next to drive shaft could fit one with heat shielding. Really no place for aux fuel tank with out modification of mufflers and pipes or spare tire storage. So if I do a aux fuel tank it's going in the bed too.

Are you installing the vapor can for fuel venting by heating up, sloshing around, evaporation and ECT. Or going to plumbing in and run off of that tank too?
There's room to attach a battery box to the frame behind the right rear wheel.

I would like a larger fuel tank, but I don't see it without replacing the original or removing the spare tire.

Fuel tanks in the bed of the truck are dangerous. Diesel is not a big problem, but gasoline requires a lot of care due to the explosive vapors.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Expansion/contraction, thermal exchange. I wouldn't even worry about it, but filling at low elevation then going up 6k would likely be an issue and what I don't want is a burst tank with 17 gallons of fuel in the back of the truck

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel
I am not sure what drives automakers to the size of the tank they install
being "best in class" for areas like hauling and towing may have something to do with it....it's always a balance beam between functional specs and marketing specs.....gotta try to claim as many "best in" titles while still making something usable

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Man sure wish this truck had the 30 gallon tank my Ram 1500 had but I am not overlanding with it currently so I can live with it. Maybe in future models

j2paulino

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
PTA
I heard Evo Mfg has a 40gal tank that’s installed under the bed where the spare tire is. I haven’t found it yet, but I seen it on a gladiator. The guy said when you run a long arm 4 link suspension system you have to move the OEM gas tank.

Dwayne

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Helicopter Pilot
I’m expecting my JT rubicon (diesel) in the next few weeks. In the mean time, I’m collecting all the parts and pieces to put on it. I’d like to add a gravity fed aux tank in the bed. I have the fuel filler hose valve to install. (Took it off my Ram 2500) but what I don’t know is the diameter of the fuel filler hose. Can anyone with a gladiator diesel tell me the size of this hose please.

Sponsored

JSchauer79

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Overland
Occupation
Self
Hey guys, I am New here and new to the Jeep community. I have been reading this thread and wonderinng if there are any updates or if anyone has found a solid solution to a permenant replacement for a long range tank.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Early Bronco's had an aux tank w/ a floor switch as well = worked perfect until the plastic tank would get brittle from the gasoline & crack...

Ecodiesel JT's will come with a DEF tank, the one on my GC is 8 gallons. Delete DEF & you have a perfect spot for 8 additional gallons of fuel if you can integrate the space with the main tank space.
Had a 74 Bronco with the aux tank, main tank 12 gal aux 10 gal. Truck got 10 MPG still had a range of around 200 miles. With the gearing and tires the MPG was the same 2 wheel drive 4 wheel drive in town or on the highway. Man I miss that truck could fix any problem on side of the road.
Sponsored

Last edited: