Sponsored

Does anyone know of a long range fuel tank?

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Yikes!!! There is a reason the exhaust and fuel tank are on opposite sides of the vehicle. Hello Pinto.
Pinto fuel tank problems were not caused by heat from the exhaust. I understand the problem was related to fuel tank puncture by another Pinto vehicle part when the vehicle was struck from behind.
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
What is the exhaust modification? There are posts here where people have taken the muffler and resonator off and put a turned down tip at flange of muffler, with apparently not much noise difference and some “perceived” power and MPG increase but minimal. Would be the easiest modification, and they could even include the turned down tip easily. I like the concept, 17 gallons is nice, it is low, probably safest location if exhaust is moved . Very interested I’ll be watching for your update smlobx. Thanx!

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Pinto fuel tank problems were not caused by heat from the exhaust. I understand the problem was related to fuel tank puncture by another Pinto vehicle part when the vehicle was struck from behind.
You are correct, the fuel tank would puncture due to other parts impacting the tank, the fuel would then leak on the hot exhaust and catch fire. My actual point was having the fuel next to the exhaust is a recipe for disaster. Any fuel leak then runs the risk of fuel contacting hot exhaust. Additionally, the tank has to deal with expansion and contraction from heat generated by the exhaust. There are many potential concerns. It is your truck and your life, probably safe until there is an accident, do what you want.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I am scheduled to have my LRA tank installed next week.
Will report back ASAP
I know this install got out on hold but would you mind sharing some info on the tank and pricing? It looks like their JT tank is still in development. Do they have it ready for sale? Thanks!

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Those thinking that there is space where the DEF tank is placed would find the standard gasoline tank using that space. They reduced the size of the diesel Gladiator tank to 18.3 from 22, to accommodate the 5.1 gallon DEF tank.

Sponsored

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
You are correct, the fuel tank would puncture due to other parts impacting the tank, the fuel would then leak on the hot exhaust and catch fire. My actual point was having the fuel next to the exhaust is a recipe for disaster. Any fuel leak then runs the risk of fuel contacting hot exhaust. Additionally, the tank has to deal with expansion and contraction from heat generated by the exhaust. There are many potential concerns. It is your truck and your life, probably safe until there is an accident, do what you want.
The sad part about this relates to reports that Ford knew about that defect and found it more cost effective to pay out liability claims rather than fix the problem.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
So did I hear that correctly - fuelling is a one step process that fills both tanks, first the main and then the auxiliary - and then you only use the transfer pump to transfer from aux to main.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Yup! Fill main tank then when it is full, fuel flows to aux. tank, which in turn fills main tank. Tank looked low hanging from side view but might have been camara angle. Looks like exhaust is up to installer

Last edited:

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
What is the exhaust modification? There are posts here where people have taken the muffler and resonator off and put a turned down tip at flange of muffler, with apparently not much noise difference and some “perceived” power and MPG increase but minimal. Would be the easiest modification, and they could even include the turned down tip easily. I like the concept, 17 gallons is nice, it is low, probably safest location if exhaust is moved . Very interested I’ll be watching for your update smlobx. Thanx!
Not a good idea. While the engine is on and the jeep not moving/airflow, all the exhaust fumes would rise and make their way into the cabin. The tip would have to exit in a location where it has "nothing" above it.

Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
So did I hear that correctly - fuelling is a one step process that fills both tanks, first the main and then the auxiliary - and then you only use the transfer pump to transfer from aux to main.
Exactly like that! ^^

Just rock up to the pump and start to fill. Stop when either you run out of money or both tanks are full

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I know this install got out on hold but would you mind sharing some info on the tank and pricing? It looks like their JT tank is still in development. Do they have it ready for sale? Thanks!
Yes the tank is ready for sale. I have one sitting on the shipping pallet at my mechanics shop. The price was right around 2 grand if I remember correctly.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
curious how you attached those cans..
We’ve used these before and they worked great but they’re not cheap..
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...ers/front-runner-single-jerry-can-holder.html
Cans are ratchet strapped down, and cable locked to the bed tie down in each corner. I have a portable battery fuel pump with an 8 foot hose, so I never have to move the fuel cans for re-fueling. I just unscrew the gas can cap, insert the fuel pump, put the other end in the tank and push the transfer button. To easy, no spilling or juggling heavy cans.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Cans are ratchet strapped down, and cable locked to the bed tie down in each corner. I have a portable battery fuel pump with an 8 foot hose, so I never have to move the fuel cans for re-fueling. I just unscrew the gas can cap, insert the fuel pump, put the other end in the tank and push the transfer button. To easy, no spilling or juggling heavy cans.
8 foot long x 3/4" dia syphon hose & no spilling? Unpossible :asshat:

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
So what is the verdict here on the LRA? Was it ever installed? What was total cost?
Sponsored