Don’t buy my old JT!

NH-JT

First Name
Krister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great truck in great shape but the price is just outrageous!

It’s a low optioned Rubi I ordered two years ago. I paid $47,500 out the door and traded it in for $47,000 with 37k on the odometer.

I just found it posted on the dealership website…
Jeep Gladiator Don’t buy my old JT! F378F0C7-AB17-41EC-AAEB-A5C9AEA51D0C

Then I went to the build and price page to see what a new one/same options would cost…
Jeep Gladiator Don’t buy my old JT! 264D887D-2136-4707-9D8E-91DEEE17D5DD

I want my old truck to go to a good home, but now I feel bad for the sucker who’s gonna buy it.
Sponsored

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great truck in great shape but the price is just outrageous!

It’s a low optioned Rubi I ordered two years ago. I paid $47,500 out the door and traded it in for $47,000 with 37k on the odometer.

I just found it posted on the dealership website…
F378F0C7-AB17-41EC-AAEB-A5C9AEA51D0C.jpeg

Then I went to the build and price page to see what a new one/same options would cost…
264D887D-2136-4707-9D8E-91DEEE17D5DD.jpeg

I want my old truck to go to a good home, but now I feel bad for the sucker who’s gonna buy it.
This is the market we are in, it's nuts on used trucks.

Having said that, I wouldn't be in a '21 Gladiator if I didn't get +$8K on my '19 Tundra trade vs what I paid new, 2 years later. Don't feel bad.

I'm not sure why people pay these prices for used trucks when they could hunt down new, but they seem to all over the country as that's the only reason I can understand used truck prices have held this long?? I truly don't understand.

But also not complaining ha

EDIT: Yes, I understand supply chain/chip shortage etc, but we also bought a recent used car in this market, and price was fair.... trucks are just another level.

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Hooooooly crap! That's insane. I traded my '18 JLUR for my '20 JTR in May. I got almost what I paid for the JLUR on trade at 2.5 years old with 18K miles, and my JTR was $6K off at the time because it was the last '20 model JT they had on the lot. I couldn't pass that deal up. The dealer sold my JLUR within 2 hours of posting it on their site.

Fast forward 4 months. I took my wife's '17 ATS-V in for service at the dealer last week. They had maybe 15 new cars on the entire lot. I was just there for routine maintenance, and they asked me several times if we had considered trading. There's no way the wife will part ways with that car.

I check the values of our cars periodically on KBB just to see where the market is. Just out of curiosity, I checked her trade in value on KBB when I got home, and it's gone up $10K in 4 months.

Jawjadawg

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, 21 Gladiator Mojave
I'm contemplating selling my 21 JLU Rubicon to one of the buying agencies and getting a used JT because my 04 F150 died and would like to have a truck. I paid 45k before TTT last November and they offered me over 47K for it....I originally wanted a JT Rubicon or Mojave but it was just too rich for my blood but still have that itch

Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
These crazy trade in prices are not as common as they were a few months ago. And are apparently region based. I tried Carvana and Vroom and the price on my 5 month old 2021 Willys with 5k miles was $36k to $41k. Even the dealer I bought it from could only do $43k. Sticker was $49725.

WickedWillys

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator, 2021 JLUS
Occupation
Aerospace Fabricator
I had a Silverado Custom before my Willys Gladiator, paid 40k out the door and traded it in and they gave 38,500 with 24k on it. they sold it for 42k a week later, more than I initially paid.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Trade-ins always make for funny math though, right? Like now they can offer someone else a fake $9,899 more on their trade for this JT than they might otherwise do and still make it out ahead - with the added benefit of that next person feeling like they were super market savvy and got a good trade value. Make sense?

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
These are strange times with the high used car prices. But remember that when you trade a car in .... that trade in amount is manipulated with the price of the new car you are buying. A dealership can WOW you with a high trade in amount, but make it up on what you pay for the new car.

That's why it is best to negotiate the actual price of the car you want ...... THEN bring up your trade in.

But again. These are strange times.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I bought my 2003 TJ for $13,500 with 76000 miles 12 years ago. It's been upgraded quite a bit through the years, but selling it now with 166,000 miles on it for $8,500. It's a weird market right now AND Jeeps tend to hold their value ridiculously well. I definitely don't understand people paying more for used than they would pay for new though, lol.

Sponsored

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
These are strange times with the high used car prices. But remember that when you trade a car in .... that trade in amount is manipulated with the price of the new car you are buying. A dealership can WOW you with a high trade in amount, but make it up on what you pay for the new car.

That's why it is best to negotiate the actual price of the car you want ...... THEN bring up your trade in.

But again. These are strange times.
This is mostly true for sure when dealing with dealers and trades and always has been.

Carvana/CarMax/Vroom are the ones that seem to have changed this the most during this whole pandemic time though.... They straight up buy the vehicles out right for these high used truck prices and simply write you a check. Whole process takes 3-7 days. Totally crazy times.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I keep reading threads like these and wonder how it is possible? when people are also posting they are buying new JTs for 2%-8% under invoice, how are both possible at the same time??

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
I keep reading threads like these and wonder how it is possible? when people are also posting they are buying new JTs for 2%-8% under invoice, how are both possible at the same time??
Most dealers have always made more off used cars than new.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Most dealers have always made more off used cars than new.
Sure when they can get them for low cost trade ins, the way a lot of threads read people are getting more trade in for their Jeeps than you could buy the same model new for.
Sponsored