John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So if you had a bad experience with a blonde would all blondes be off the table forever?
Well………….yes. They might be more fun, until you understand where blonde jokes come from.

Two blondes on either side of the lake. One yells how do I get to the other side of this lake? Other responds “You’re already on the other side!” Banda bum!
Sponsored

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Here’s the quick scenario. I have 3 options.

1. Keep my 2018 Durango GT with 49,000 miles on it. Had it since new. Leased it
and then bought it since prices skyrocketed. Needs tires, air filters, brakes/rotors, etc. Maintenance will cost me about $2,000 and then I need to add a hitch to carry 4 bikes so roughly $2,500 total. Also, the radio is starting to “delaminate” and I’m out of warranty so I’m not sure what that will run me when it needs to be fixed. I owe about $24K on it and it’s worth $30K. It’s gonna take me about 4 and a half years to pay it off probably.

2. Trade the Durango for a Gladiator and not have to worry about all the maintenance and unknown of the Durango.

3. Trade the Durango for a Ram 1500. The Wife has a Grand Cherokee just for reference.

Thanks for any help/advice!
If your durango is a V8, I say keep it. If its a v6, trade it in for a truck.
This used car market craziness will not stay... so if you can get ahead in your used car value and get a deal on new, do it!

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
My short answer is that Gladiator’s and in my experience Mojave’s nicely fit within a certain number of checkbox's of opportunities and experience and there are a few checkbox’s that they probably don’t fit within as nicely as other choices. So, it’s really just up to you to do the math and figure what’s the best fit for you based on how you quantify happiness in terms of the boxes you’d like to check. I think this board and its members certainly provide a rich, but likely biased pool of information to help you map out the place you’d hope your decision will take you. So, good for you to engage by maybe asking yourself the questions your wondering out loud.

Still, with nothing personnal directed to you, I’ll just share one of the most profound things I’ve ever heard. Many people make decisions emotionally and justify them logically.

As for me, I made my decision based on smiles, versatility, new experiences and perceived value. Each one of those metrics may mean different things to me then they do you.

…and to your point, maybe that‘s why someone may like one blonde over another blonde.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
$2k in maintenance (assuming that includes a set of 30k+ mile tires) isn't much considering you'll eat that in sales tax, destination & doc fees on a trade-in anyhow. That plus current scenario markup. I love my gladiator, but there are some very exciting things coming to this platform.

Unless I absolutely needed to bail on my existing vehicle, right now would not be a time I'd even consider getting into one, especially if I had anything 2018 which covered my basic needs and only needed 2k in maintenance.

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
$2k in maintenance (assuming that includes a set of 30k+ mile tires) isn't much considering you'll eat that in sales tax, destination & doc fees on a trade-in anyhow. That plus current scenario markup. I love my gladiator, but there are some very exciting things coming to this platform.

Unless I absolutely needed to bail on my existing vehicle, right now would not be a time I'd even consider getting into one, especially if I had anything 2018 which covered my basic needs and only needed 2k in maintenance.

Gonna second this. From a purely fiscal viewpoint, you obviously know it's better sense to hold onto the Durango. $30k < $50k+.... If you need to do "truck" things, I'd honestly say the Ram because people get Jeeps, whether it's a Wrangler or a Gladiator and expect it to be magical. And it is...IF you can deal with the Jeep nuances like noise, steering, upgrade bug, comfort, etc. I have to be honest, my ZR2 drove like a sedan and was comfy. I've had a JKU prior so I know what I was getting in to.

Regardless, Ram or Gladiator, set yourself up to get a loan no more than 5 years or you'll be doing the "How much will I pay in maint, car payment, etc. in 7-8 years" again.

Lastly, leverage the forum dealers if you go the gladiator route and don't get wrecked with pricing.

Sponsored

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Here's a completely different take and probably not very popular, but has worked for me. Sell the Durango, use the ~$5k cash to buy a $5k (or less) mechanically sound beater. If you are not mechanically inclined, spend time on the internet and talking to knowledgeable friends about basic vehicle maintenance and repair. Minimize personal "optional" expenditures and save like crazy. Pay cash for a Glad in a few years. My "hoopty" is a 2000 Nissan Frontier, 4 cyl, 5 speed, manual windows, broken AC, faded paint, and 215,000 miles (climbing daily.)

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Traded a 2020 Ram Laramie for my JTM. A different world, but a world I like. Go for it. Life is short! :turkey:

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Gonna second this. From a purely fiscal viewpoint, you obviously know it's better sense to hold onto the Durango. $30k < $50k+.... If you need to do "truck" things, I'd honestly say the Ram because people get Jeeps, whether it's a Wrangler or a Gladiator and expect it to be magical. And it is...IF you can deal with the Jeep nuances like noise, steering, upgrade bug, comfort, etc. I have to be honest, my ZR2 drove like a sedan and was comfy. I've had a JKU prior so I know what I was getting in to.

Regardless, Ram or Gladiator, set yourself up to get a loan no more than 5 years or you'll be doing the "How much will I pay in maint, car payment, etc. in 7-8 years" again.

Lastly, leverage the forum dealers if you go the gladiator route and don't get wrecked with pricing.
Very true. I’d lease the next vehicle which I know some people are very much against. So basically I pay $399 a month for the next 4-5 years plus maintenance on the Durango (at least $2,000 to $2,500) or trade it in now and lease a Ram for $399 a month with zero out of my pocket because of the equity in my Durango. Granted that equity gets used up in 3 years because it’s a lease, but it would probably be gone in 3 years anyway when the car market corrects. Thoughts???

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Very true. I’d lease the next vehicle which I know some people are very much against. So basically I pay $399 a month for the next 4-5 years plus maintenance on the Durango (at least $2,000 to $2,500) or trade it in now and lease a Ram for $399 a month with zero out of my pocket because of the equity in my Durango. Granted that equity gets used up in 3 years because it’s a lease, but it would probably be gone in 3 years anyway when the car market corrects. Thoughts???

Yeah...That's all personal choice, or what's been mentioned, an advisor. I can only speak from the experience of: changing vehicles every two years and dumping a ton of mods in that time, to where now, financing a pricey vehicle for 3 years and only after a year, add wheels/tires as my goals are different.

44 year old me gives different advice of 24 year old me. Now, it's about saving and making smart financial choices vs YOLO.

I don't know enough about leases to speak smartly on them but I liken it to a place to live. Do I want to rent a place or buy a place? While a vehicle will rarely appreciate, I've never thought of leasing because A. I like to tinker and B. I don't want to basically drive a long term rental car.

Maybe not the advice you want, but it's what I can provide.

Good luck.

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
I know this thread is old, but I'm not sure on what you decided to do. If you are still weighing your options, here's my take:

I would look to see what kind of offer you could get from CarMax or other similar outfit on your Durango. With the exception of air/cabin filters, I wouldn't do the maintenance on it. Let them determine how badly you need brakes, tires, etc. Besides, you won't get back what you put in to the repairs.

As for me, I have a JT on order (lower price, options I want, etc.). I'm likely going to lease it for a few reasons. 1) I'm not a big mod guy and won't be sinking a lot of money into it that way. 2) It will give me time for a prolonged "test drive" under warranty. 3) If my vehicle needs change in a few years, it will be easy to make the move. 4) With the uncertainty of the car market and economy over the next few years, I see a lease as a hedge. If values keep skyrocketing, I can either buy it below market value or trade it in and pocket equity. If the bottom falls out of the market, I'm not "upside down" on it. Hand over the keys and walk away.

Everyone has a different perspective, but I just wanted to offer mine.

Deleted member 47279

If you want a terrible truck, horrible gas mileage, and the never ending drive to upgrades parts get the gladdy since you can get top dollar for your Durango.
Or just stick with the Durango. 2k is cheap for a known good SUV that’s more than capable.

keep in mind I have 2 gladiators. They are terrible at truck Stuff, but no regerts. Not one letter!

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Obviously you love this Gladiator forum, and cannot imagine your life not being here. You already owned a JT and it was a lemon. Now you are thinking about getting another vehicle and where did you go for advice? Right here, the Gladiator forum. You see it's not the truck, you just cannot imaging not hanging out here. Problem solved, get the gladiator.
Sponsored