Sponsored

Easter Jeep Safari 2020

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
FCA pulled out of the Safari yesterday. There will be no Jeep display and no concepts unveiled at the Safari this year.
Sponsored

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
FCA pulled out of the Safari yesterday. There will be no Jeep display and no concepts unveiled at the Safari this year.
Well, darn. I'm still going. If they cancel it, then we run the trails with fewer people. If they close the trails, on to Sand Hollow.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Well, darn. I'm still going. If they cancel it, then we run the trails with fewer people. If they close the trails, on to Sand Hollow.
Zero chance that trails will be closed. There is always a slim chance the Red Rock 4-Wheelers may cancel the Safari, but I do not see that happening. Trail groups are relatively small and people are in their own vehicles. No mass gatherings.

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Zero chance that trails will be closed. There is always a slim chance the Red Rock 4-Wheelers may cancel the Safari, but I do not see that happening. Trail groups are relatively small and people are in their own vehicles. No mass gatherings.
Great. Hope to see you there.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Things change. At this point, I think it will be irresponsible of Jeep Safari officials if they do not cancel this year's event. Town is already packed with tourists. Almost all campsites along Highway 128 were full today. Ski resorts in Utah and Colorado are now closed...so people are coming to Moab instead. A lot of the shelves at the largest local supermarket are bare. That always happens to an extent during tourist season, but this is far beyond the normal. I was in there today and unable to get some items on my list. And restaurants that usually have long lines during the Safari and tourist season are, as of today, limited to 50% capacity...and they may even be ordered to close. There are not yet any reported cases of Covid19 in Moab, but with the influx of people from out of the area, it's just a matter of time until someone brings it in.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Things change. At this point, I think it will be irresponsible of Jeep Safari officials if they do not cancel this year's EJS.
Yeah, I am thinking of pulling out. I want to be a good citizen and this might be "unnecessary travel" especially considering we'd be staying at a motel and trying to eat at restaurants. Damn, I got my motel room reservation a year ago, right when I decided I would get a Jeep Gladiator and way before I got it. But, those rocks will still be there when this all done.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Moab is now pretty much closed folks. Within the past hour a new order was issued by Health Dept. You can stay updated at: https://www.facebook.com/cityofmoab/ . Sounds like if you don't already have reservations, you are out of luck. That seems unclear at this point.

Here is a quote from the City's Facebook page:

The Southeast Utah Health Department has issued a Public Health Order that places strict limitations on food establishments, closes movie theaters and other public places, and orders overnight lodging establishments to only accept new reservations for rooms for "essential visitors" effective at 10 p.m. tonight. The full order will be posted on the City of Moab's website, www.moabtimes.com, on our "Coronavirus Updates" page, https://moabcity.org/551/COVID-19-In...on-and-Updates
Here's part of the section dealing with lodging:
Overnight Lodging. Effective at 10 pm (MST) on March 17, 2020, all overnight and short-term lodging facilities (including but not limited to hotels, motels, condos, townhomes, guest homes, RV parks, and all camping on public or private lands) within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties may only check-in, rent, or lease to Essential Visitors and Primary Residents. Essential Visitors and Primary Residents may utilize public lands for primitive camping purposes. No camp shall be located within 200 yards of another camp and no camp shall consist of more than IO people. An Essential Visitor is any individual renting lodging or camping for an amount of time less than 30 days for the purposes of work within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, or for an employer within the boundaries of Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, and their spouse and dependents. Primary Residents are any individuals renting lodging for periods of 30 days or greater or whose primary address is within one of the counties.

OP
OP
Bobh62000

Bobh62000

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pastor
Yeah, I am thinking of pulling out. I want to be a good citizen and this might be "unnecessary travel" especially considering we'd be staying at a motel and trying to eat at restaurants. Damn, I got my motel room reservation a year ago, right when I decided I would get a Jeep Gladiator and way before I got it. But, those rocks will still be there when this all done.
I was like you, I made reservations a year ago. but with the news from the local health department coming out and the town being shut down for the most part. I will plan for next year.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
From the Health Dept. order: "SEUHD requests that visitors that are not here on essential business return to their home and non-essential visitors planning to come to Carbon, Emery, and Grand counties reconsider their plans and remain near their home." They define essential visitors as "any individual renting, camping, or lodging for an amount of time less than 30 days for the purposes of work within Carbon, Emery, and Grand counties, or for an employer within the boundaries of Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties and their spouse and dependents." If you have already booked rooms or a nightly rental, you should probably check with the host to see if your reservation will be honored. Since most campsites in the Sand Flats area and along Hwy 128 are much closer than 200 yards apart, camping would seem to be extremely limited now. I wonder if they are going to try and empty some of those already overflowing campgrounds.

OP
OP
Bobh62000

Bobh62000

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pastor
This is from Red Rock's site
Alerts

2020 Easter Jeep Safari Update: RE Corona Virus

March 17, 2020:

The Grand County council and Moab City council have closed all public spaces, restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. This impact will prevent the Easter Jeep Safari from holding any event in April.

Check back for further updates as available.

Sponsored

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The second sentence seems to have been removed. They are quick to point the finger at the wrong place. It was not the City and County Councils that imposed the restrictions. It was the Southeast Utah Health Department which represents a 3-county area. I sincerely hope that, in their upcoming official statement, they don't take the low trail and try to cast political blame. As much as I was looking forward to the Jeep Safari, I believe that cancelling it (if that has in fact happened) is in everyone's best interest. Tough decision. Right decision. I commend them for it if they do indeed cancel (or at least postpone) this year's EJS. Memorial Day Safari anyone?

Last edited:
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Just saw this. Looks like it’s officially cancelled.
2020 Easter Jeep Safari Update: RE Corona Virus

March 18, 2020

The emergency ordinance by the Grand County council and Moab City limiting attendance at special events has been extended to encompass motels and campgrounds in and around Moab.

Guests have three days to check out of all motels and campgrounds, they are then to remain closed for 30 days. All the restaurants are restricted to curb service only at this time.
In the best interests of everyone concerned, for the first time in 53 years, we are cancelling Easter Jeep Safari.

There is no need to contact us, your Event fees will be refunded to your credit card as soon as possible, your patience is greatly appreciated as these may take 30-60 days to process. Sorry, we do not have the ability to retain your payments for the 2021 EJS.
Please note – the trail of the month for March (3/21/20) and April (4/18/20) have been cancelled.

A lot of people have concerns that the trails around Moab will be closed if Safari doesn’t happen. This is not the case, the trails here are always open as they are BLM, Multiple Use Lands.

We appreciate your support through the years and hope to see you in 2021. Take care and be safe in your daily lives and travels.
Red Rock 4-Wheelers

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
They are mis-informed if they think the closures were ordered by the city and county councils. The Southeast Utah Health Department was forced into action because the city and county councils failed to put protective measures in place after pressure from business owners. I'm glad the Red Rock 4-Wheelers finally acted "in the best interests of everyone concerned."

Last edited:

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The second sentence seems to have been removed. They are quick to point the finger at the wrong place. It was not the City and County Councils that imposed the restrictions. It was the Southeast Utah Health Department which represents a 3-county area. I sincerely hope that, in their upcoming official statement, they don't take the low trail and try to cast political blame. As much as I was looking forward to the Jeep Safari, I believe that cancelling it (if that has in fact happened) is in everyone's best interest. Tough decision. Right decision. I commend them for it if they do indeed cancel (or at least postpone) this year's EJS. Memorial Day Safari anyone?
I like that idea.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Jeep Safari Week - 2020:

EJS2020A.jpg

EJS2020B.jpg
Sponsored