Easy rollbar speaker upgrade for Alpine Premium system

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I do too.

There are ways to help this.

1) rip your CDs using a lossless compression technology.
a. Then save the CDs on your phone
b. then upload them to something like Google Music or Amazon music and stream them with your phone.

2) Subscribe to a music service that provides music using lossless compression.

3) If the Jeep has an RCA jack input (school me on this please) grab a portable CD player off eBay and use it in the jeep.
Most laptops don't even have an optical drive anymore. So have to buy an external.

I know there was an option on my 2019 Grand Cherokee for a CD player that mounted in the center console. So I'm sure there is some sort of connection back there.
Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
3) If the Jeep has an RCA jack input (school me on this please) grab a portable CD player off eBay and use it in the jeep.
AUX input on dash should be able to take line-level.

I plan to put a disc changer vertically behind the rear seat, and use it to feed the aux input via a DAC. Was thinking of wiring-in behind the aux port but from what I was finding, it appears that the OE system only offers you the choice of AUX as a source when there is something plugged into the AUX port. Have the parts, currently lack the time.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I’ve noticed is the stock 5” system carry’s great bass at low volumes and covers a huge frequency range that I didn’t expect. However, anything past 9 on volume and roll bar speakers are exceeding their capacity. To fix this I picked up an Alphasonik 8” sub that fits easily under the rear seat (200w RMS) and used a class d amp to power it. For signal I just used basic high level/ low level inputs and spliced that off my front speakers. Was able to turn the base on the 5” head unit to -4, and used the sub and amp to drive all low frequencies. After a little tuning I was able to crank the whole system to max volume with no distortion. The sub, amp, inputs, and wiring ran me $300 total.
I am planning on a similar approach - I am going to keep the 4" which upon examination (and running some tests outside the vehicle) are surprisingly decent drivers, and seem to have purpose-designed ports, etc. I am going to replace the crummy 3.5" in both top dash and soundbar with some high quality 2" mid-tweeters, with a crossover. Tried the intended 4" OE + upgraded 2" outside of the vehicle and it sounds excellent. Then run a sub and separate amp, and peel everything from about 100-120hz away from the 4" and direct it to the sub. I think the 4" will sound very decent when they aren't trying to achieve the impossible of doing low bass.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just looked it up and answered my own question.....it is.

What are the thoughts on this vs running a 6.5" and tweeter component set using this adapter:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/jljt-pods-18-21-jeep-wrangler-jl-enclosures-only-pair-1.html

Is the sound better from component speakers vs 2 or 3 way coaxial?
This looks like a really ingenious, well-thought-out product and is enough to make me consider some 6.5 overheads. But I will probably try my intermediate route first.

OP
OP
GUJeeper

GUJeeper

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Medicine
Were all of the speakers plug and play? I’m not an audiophile, but I can deal with a cheap, easy upgrade.
Plug and Play yes, but your have to cut out some plastic. Takes about 30 min.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GUJeeper

GUJeeper

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Medicine
This is the one that you have to cut the rollbar for right?
Yes, but not visible once you install the new speaker. All of the cutting is far away from the eye.

OP
OP
GUJeeper

GUJeeper

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Medicine
This looks like a really ingenious, well-thought-out product and is enough to make me consider some 6.5 overheads. But I will probably try my intermediate route first.
I would have bought this instead had I known it existed.

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I would have bought this instead had I known it existed.
I can't find a single review for these pods, so I was hesitant to order them. I went ahead and ordered them anyway, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig. I'm going with the Infinity Reference 6.5" component speakers.

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
I can't find a single review for these pods, so I was hesitant to order them. I went ahead and ordered them anyway, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig. I'm going with the Infinity Reference 6.5" component speakers.
I have them sitting in my kitchen floor. Not much I can say about them other than it is solid molded plastic. LOL

I haven't had the time or speakers to start the project. I ended up getting them off of Amazon b/c my delivery date got shoved back elsewhere. I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 60CSX on the way to put in them. From the sound tests on Crutchfield they sounded the best to me for my music. I have a bag of poly fill to use in the sound bar as well. So we shall see....

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have them sitting in my kitchen floor. Not much I can say about them other than it is solid molded plastic. LOL

I haven't had the time or speakers to start the project. I ended up getting them off of Amazon b/c my delivery date got shoved back elsewhere. I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 60CSX on the way to put in them. From the sound tests on Crutchfield they sounded the best to me for my music. I have a bag of poly fill to use in the sound bar as well. So we shall see....
I'm joining the guinea pig club on the Select Increments JLJT adapters, if they are any good at all they look like a terrifically simple and reasonably good solution (I am an avid DIY-er, but I have a parade of other projects stretching out until who knows when- sometimes simple is hard to beat). And with how unpredictable supply chains are getting, I'd just as soon get them and get it done. Plan to use some Morel Maximo Coax 6's, which also look like they have a lot of value for the price.

Sponsored

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Pods allow for a sealed setup and better bass response than the free air the stock arrangement has.

Aceofspades61

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Design Engineer
Never noticed any distortion in mine but, then again, I guess I'm not turning it up to 11 every time :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: (Movie reference: 'This is Spinal Tap'... "Our speakers are louder than everyone else's, theirs only goes to 10. Ours goes to 11!!!" )
Well..."it's one louder then...." Hahahahaha Great reference!

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

I'm going to install mine this weekend. I'll be using polyfill as well, and some dynamat type stuff just for the hell of it.

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
I'm going to install mine this weekend. I'll be using polyfill as well, and some dynamat type stuff just for the hell of it.
Somehow, my speakers are supposed to be here today. If they show up before dark, I may suddenly develop a bad cough and need to take the rest of the day off. Lol

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
I havent used Polyfill before, always used butyl mats for everything. I like the idea of stuffing the sound bar with Poly - can any of yall who have done it let us know how much you used? Looks like it is sold by the pound, essentially. Thanks.
Sponsored