Sponsored

EcoDiesel Buzzing Sound from Engine After Shutoff

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
It’s a pump cooling the turbo.

many turbo vehicles have something similar. BMW’s will automatically keep the engine running for a short period of time after you turn it “off”.

I’m sure there are others, but only one that is passive that i can think of is Subaru. Their coolant reservoir is mounted up high so that coolant is heated by the turbo, evaporates, goes back to the high mount reservoir, condenses back to liquid, then flows down to the turbo, repeating until it is cool.
Sponsored

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
It’s a pump cooling the turbo.

many turbo vehicles have something similar. BMW’s will automatically keep the engine running for a short period of time after you turn it “off”.

I’m sure there are others, but only one that is passive that i can think of is Subaru. Their coolant reservoir is mounted up high so that coolant is heated by the turbo, evaporates, goes back to the high mount reservoir, condenses back to liquid, then flows down to the turbo, repeating until it is cool.
It is controlled by the computer because it buzzes exactly for 3 minutes after ignition turned off.
And even happens if you start the engine and shut it off.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Check the seating on all your fuses. Known issue to have loose fuses. May not be it, but it wouldn't hurt.
On day 2 after picking up my JT I opened the fuse box to check. At least 60% of the fuses were not seated correctly; not by much but I definitely latched them in better. This included the relays as well.
Also checked as many ground connections as I could see/reach without crawling underneath. Good news is none were loose.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Mine also does this however it only runs for a minute, and there is a relay at work every 5 seconds or so that starts the (pump?) and then shuts of for a second. Mind you it has been -30C when I drove it into the garage and shut it off. Usually coolant temp is 92-94C.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Everyone talks about the turbo circulatory pump for cooling, yet nobody can verify it. There's no mention of it in the owners manual and I can't find any part numbers for a pump, etc. Where's the proof? I asked a FCA/Stellantis diesel tech and he said he's never heard of it on the EcoDiesel. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I'm saying that nobody I know has ever seen it!

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
A buddy of mine is a diesel tech in Ohio. He has access to the Mopar service information. Here's his response about a coolant pump:

"It’s not in the wiring diagrams, and it’s not mentioned in the cooling system section of the manual."

JeepNasa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Got 9000 miles and only notice the buzzing sound one time which only lasted a minute.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Mine does it all the time. Popped the hood recently and noticed it's coming from the CP.4 injection pump. Or at least close to it.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Its been nearly a year and 33,000 miles and my buzz is still there and sounds the same as day one. Don't think it's going away lol

Sponsored

JEEPNMEDIC

First Name
MATT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR, 2019 JLUR (WIFES), 2021 JTR
Occupation
TRAVEL ER RN
I have heard the buzzing several times, I am sure it's every time but I haven't paid attention. I will say however I have a 2021 ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel and it make a very similar buzz when it shuts down, but the hotter it is on shut down the longer the sound goes. so may be is just a diesel thing.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah I'm still thinking it's designed into the controls to keep cooling the turbo after shutdown. I heard a Toyota engineer discussing how they do that on their new 3.5TT engine also.