Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
What are the NORMAL temps we should be seeing?
Couldn't tell you what we "should" be seeing, but I feel the water and oil temps in that picture are too warm for longevity of cooling system parts for sure and possible other items.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just finished a 500 mile round trip towing at maximum capacity through the hills of Kentucky. I'm posting the video to the YouTube channel later today, but here are some highlights:

- 500+ miles and only ONE particularly long hill warmed me up enough to derate power for about 1/2 mile. The other 499+ miles were problem free with tons of power on tap, great handling, and typical fuel economy for a load like this around 10-11 miles per gallon.

- Since the last trip, I now have a 2" lift, 35" mud tires, winch bumper, 12k winch sitting in front of the grille, and cube lights (bad for aero). All of this hurts efficiency and power and causes the powertrain to run hotter.

- Truck handles like a dream with this 24' enclosed trailer loaded down with the Centerline TS weight distribution hitch. No wandering, no sway.

- Trans. temp ran 200-205. Coolant 230-244 (only reached 244 on that one particularly long, steep hill). Engine oil ran 240-265. I'm pretty happy with these numbers considering what the truck was being asked to do with the mods it has now.

- With oil temps. above 250F, the oil life gauge starts dropping like a rock. I lost 14% of my oil life in this 500 mile trip.

Overall I'm still thrilled with the truck. At one point I had to hit the trails with it to recover my ATV hopelessly buried in thick mud at the shore of the water. It's great to have a vehicle that can be 100% Jeep AND 100% truck.

Red_5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, GX460, Miata race car
Just finished a 500 mile round trip towing at maximum capacity through the hills of Kentucky. I'm posting the video to the YouTube channel later today, but here are some highlights:

- 500+ miles and only ONE particularly long hill warmed me up enough to derate power for about 1/2 mile. The other 499+ miles were problem free with tons of power on tap, great handling, and typical fuel economy for a load like this around 10-11 miles per gallon.

- Since the last trip, I now have a 2" lift, 35" mud tires, winch bumper, 12k winch sitting in front of the grille, and cube lights (bad for aero). All of this hurts efficiency and power and causes the powertrain to run hotter.

- Truck handles like a dream with this 24' enclosed trailer loaded down with the Centerline TS weight distribution hitch. No wandering, no sway.

- Trans. temp ran 200-205. Coolant 230-244 (only reached 244 on that one particularly long, steep hill). Engine oil ran 240-265. I'm pretty happy with these numbers considering what the truck was being asked to do with the mods it has now.

- With oil temps. above 250F, the oil life gauge starts dropping like a rock. I lost 14% of my oil life in this 500 mile trip.

Overall I'm still thrilled with the truck. At one point I had to hit the trails with it to recover my ATV hopelessly buried in thick mud at the shore of the water. It's great to have a vehicle that can be 100% Jeep AND 100% truck.
How much does your enclosed trailer weigh when loaded? I have an 18' enclosed car hauler that will weigh around 6-7k loaded with a race car and gear. I would love to have the option of towing with a Gladiator but not sure that's in the cards unless I keep it very light or only tow it during the cool times of year.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
How much does your enclosed trailer weigh when loaded? I have an 18' enclosed car hauler that will weigh around 6-7k loaded with a race car and gear. I would love to have the option of towing with a Gladiator but not sure that's in the cards unless I keep it very light or only tow it during the cool times of year.
It goes 6,000 lbs. when we go riding/camping, and 8,300 lbs. when I haul my tractor in it.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

What was the ambient temp like? EDIT:I watched your vid and saw it was only 70°

I'm out on a 4200 mile trip in the South West towing a 4000lb 7.5'x17' travel trailer and have not really had an issue since we left home on the 9% east of town and it was 90°. Today we had some nasty climbs (One 15%) in Western Utah and Eastern Nevada with the normal winds. Temps have ranged from 26° to 61° today. Only a couple of possible slight derates, no water temps over 240° but oil temp did hit 264° at just 46° ambient.

Last edited:

Wattsimages

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
Restaurant Development
It goes 6,000 lbs. when we go riding/camping, and 8,300 lbs. when I haul my tractor in it.

Like many people on here, I have had the engine get hot and reduce power. But I have also had it not do the regen then in the middle of my vacation go into limp mode. I have also had a P00AF code twice. After multiple discussions with customer care, they had me take it to the dealship and a "STAR" worked with the dealership on some tests. They claimed that they didn't change anything.

So today I towed my NOBO trailer up a 6mile long steep grade and it did great. But I did notice something unusual. The gas mileage was hovering around 11-12. When it was overheating the computer said 15+ mpg. This same hill used to make it overheat? I think that they reprogrammed it.

I would be interested to know what milage people are getting just before the deratting. Maybe FCA has these running slightly lean? Would that make a difference?

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Like many people on here, I have had the engine get hot and reduce power. But I have also had it not do the regen then in the middle of my vacation go into limp mode. I have also had a P00AF code twice. After multiple discussions with customer care, they had me take it to the dealship and a "STAR" worked with the dealership on some tests. They claimed that they didn't change anything.

So today I towed my NOBO trailer up a 6mile long steep grade and it did great. But I did notice something unusual. The gas mileage was hovering around 11-12. When it was overheating the computer said 15+ mpg. This same hill used to make it overheat? I think that they reprogrammed it.

I would be interested to know what milage people are getting just before the deratting. Maybe FCA has these running slightly lean? Would that make a difference?
My MPG sucks since the regen issue was fixed. I am lucky to average 15mpg when I was a solid 25-26 before. Going up a 4 mile, 6% grade my MPG is showing 4 mpg NOT towing. Dealers do not have a clue.

Same hill at 71 degrees outside I hit 268 on oil temps, at 61 degrees I hit 261, at 52 degrees last night, I still was at 254. The coolant temps also dropped accordingly. This motor or the programming has an issue for sure.

I'm thinking I should have got the gasser instead.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What was the ambient temp like? EDIT:I watched your vid and saw it was only 70°

I'm out on a 4200 mile trip in the South West towing a 4000lb 7.5'x17' travel trailer and have not really had an issue since we left home on the 9% east of town and it was 90°. Today we had some nasty climbs (One 15%) in Western Utah and Eastern Nevada with the normal winds. Temps have ranged from 26° to 61° today. Only a couple of possible slight derates, no water temps over 240° but oil temp did hit 264° at just 46° ambient.
The air temp of only 70 makes a huge difference. The bigger the difference between the outside air and the coolant, the more heat that's removed more quickly. That's true for anything - grain drying equipment, hot water radiator in an older home, gas car, diesel truck, Trane heat pump, whatever.
That 20 degrees difference in air temp makes a world of difference in how much heat can be removed in any given time.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The air temp of only 70 makes a huge difference. The bigger the difference between the outside air and the coolant, the more heat that's removed more quickly. That's true for anything - grain drying equipment, hot water radiator in an older home, gas car, diesel truck, Trane heat pump, whatever.
That 20 degrees difference in air temp makes a world of difference in how much heat can be removed in any given time.
If you note he ambient temps in these pics.....could you agree the cooling system is undersized? Nothing is in danger of exploding, but the temps are much higher than any other vehicle I've operated in the past 30 years. 30° ambient would think it could keep anything cool.

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? 20211015_140645

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? 20211015_103026

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
My MPG sucks since the regen issue was fixed. I am lucky to average 15mpg when I was a solid 25-26 before. Going up a 4 mile, 6% grade my MPG is showing 4 mpg NOT towing. Dealers do not have a clue.

Same hill at 71 degrees outside I hit 268 on oil temps, at 61 degrees I hit 261, at 52 degrees last night, I still was at 254. The coolant temps also dropped accordingly. This motor or the programming has an issue for sure.

I'm thinking I should have got the gasser instead.
Used car prices are high as you know. Maybe time to unload it. No use being unhappy about a vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Those are high temps for the ambient air temp - but to say that it's all cooling system being undersized is suggesting that EVERYONE will have the same issue.
IS that the case? Does every ecodiesel JT owner have this same issue?
If some are towing at 90+ degrees on hills with no problem could suggest there's other things at play as well.....

By the same token, saying "it works fine" when the outside temp is only 70 also doesn't prove it's fine because it should also work like that at 90.
Sponsored