Sponsored

Ecodiesel Derating issue tracking thread - also please post if NO issues!

My experience with derating (losing power) on the ecodiesel has been:

• Installed an external oil cooler and has lessened derating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Installed an external oil cooler and has not made a difference on derating

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I do for sure, I haven't needed to pull it out since I never had any issues until now.

I attributed most of it to be being hot AF outside as well as going fast for a long period of time
No, i just did a trip 2 weeks ago, 109 out and average 75mph or more with trailer no derate.
Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mikeđź–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
That sounds related to the the wiring issue that has been pointed out a few times.

I derate when oil hits 268, but it’s silent, no dash lights etc…
Mine hasn't been anywhere close to that, that I've seen. What about your coolant temp?

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
Mine hasn't been anywhere close to that, that I've seen. What about your coolant temp?
Towing at altitude is very hard with engines that produce a lot of heat.

Here is an image of me towing 3700lbs on a warm 85 degree day at 8000’

Pushing some grades obviously

https://share.icloud.com/photos/095sTMLiWD4ddhoei0wII4Wbw

266 oil, 244 coolant

If you tow trailers at altitude, there is significantly less air mass to flow through and extract heat from the radiators, and with significant strain / high demand on the engine temps rise.

This is why I fully vouch the gladiator isn’t a great full time towing vehicle. While it can you really need to take it easy / slow at altitude due to the smaller radiator system.

wildtaco

First Name
Karol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
23’ Diesel Rubicon Sarge Green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Wanted to document my first issue with derating/exhaust system issue, over an accumulated 91k miles (between 2 jeeps) behind the ecodiesel!

It was 110°outside, I was going 82mph (cruise control on), coolant temp climbed to 238, oil temp to 246, Trans temp 201... 60 miles East of Roswell NM.

At this point I had been driving a continuous 7 hours straight with the exception of one fuel stop.

While holding at 82mph I had a sudden loss of power, and dash lights come on.

ESS, CEL, and the Lightning Bolt as well as message "Exhaust System Service Required, See Dealer". The Jeep wouldn't allow me to increase speed at all, but I was able to maintain speeds on flat ground. Going uphill would slow me down and never go back up until I went downhill or got back on level ground.

I limped it the last 60 miles to Roswell in 5th gear (manual mode) to jeep the rpms up in hopes of forcing a regen.

When I arrived in Roswell I let it cool down for a bit, checked for water in the fuel (none found), and then used my Tazer to pull codes as well as reset them all.

After hanging out there for about an hour, I turned it back on and carried on my way as planned. No more issues the rest of the trip, though, the Jeep would get pretty hot. This was about 600 miles into my trip, trip total finished around 2,800 miles over 10 days.

Temperatures averaged
Coolant: 210-232
Oil: 225-244
Trans: 197-201

I have had no issues with derating or power loss since.
I just came back from an almost 8000 mile cross country road trip. I was towing my RPOD weighing just under 3,700lbs loaded. I experienced derating/limp mode exactly the same as described by @Jeepasaurus_Rex, except it was multiple times throughout our trip. It kept happening more often as time went on. I noticed that letting the Jeep cool for 10-15 minutes would allow us to drive a couple hours without issue.

I was monitoring oil temps constantly which were anywhere from 220-255 at the most but mostly hovering in the 235-248 area. I have DTCs for turbo underboost, DPF clogged/blocked, egr blocked, soot levels over threshold, and particulate matter sensor. Will be bringing it in to my local dealership soon.

I have fully lost confidence in the truck. I was extremely happy with the Jeep, specifically the diesel, but this has been a really disappointing experience.
Sponsored