Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@BT911 That sounds just like mine. I took mine to the dealer recently to check that out to ensure it was as others say "normal" and not the lifter issue before too many miles. The dealer had several techs look at it and could not find any issue. They even went so far as to bring in the shop a brand new one off the lot and ran it beside mine. They sent me the video and they indeed both sounded the same. That was a relief.

I asked them to change the oil early at 4000 miles and inspect the filter for metal shavings or other debris. Everything was clean & correct and they provided me with a document stating reason for my visit and they confirmed normal.

Hope this helps.
Well done.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
@BT911 That sounds just like mine. I took mine to the dealer recently to check that out to ensure it was as others say "normal" and not the lifter issue before too many miles. The dealer had several techs look at it and could not find any issue. They even went so far as to bring in the shop a brand new one off the lot and ran it beside mine. They sent me the video and they indeed both sounded the same. That was a relief.

I asked them to change the oil early at 4000 miles and inspect the filter for metal shavings or other debris. Everything was clean & correct and they provided me with a document stating reason for my visit and they confirmed normal.

Hope this helps.
When warmed up, with the air conditioning off, mine also sounds exactly like the video, and has always sounded exactly like that. I did the same thing as you, and the techs said it is normal. I am on my 6th oil change now at roughly 19K miles, and I have never seen any shavings and the motor burns almost zero oil. It still sounds exactly the same, maybe a tad quieter even. They seem to be great running motors.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When warmed up, with the air conditioning off, mine also sounds exactly like the video, and has always sounded exactly like that. I did the same thing as you, and the techs said it is normal. I am on my 6th oil change now at roughly 19K miles, and I have never seen any shavings and the motor burns almost zero oil. It still sounds exactly the same, maybe a tad quieter even. They seem to be great running motors.
My wife has had several Grand Cherokees with the 3.6 - until the misfire on this current one, a 2021, we've never ever had any engine issues at all, none, nothing. They've been perfect. And it appears this current one may be resolved after they swapped out spark plugs based on a TSB that addresses a misfire like we had.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well done.
Iā€™ve had the same concern lately as well. That video sounds like mine. I actually did the second oil change today. No metal on plug or filter. Oil was as dirty as Iā€™d expect it to be with 5000 miles and 3% oil life left. After 5 new quarts of Valvoline full synthetic 0w20, same noise. Good oil pressure before and after the change. Granted, I didnā€™t tear down the heads on a warrantied engine with 10k on it. Oh well. Hopefully itā€™s normal. I hate ticking sounds.

kscoke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Iā€™ve had the same concern lately as well. That video sounds like mine. I actually did the second oil change today. No metal on plug or filter. Oil was as dirty as Iā€™d expect it to be with 5000 miles and 3% oil life left. After 5 new quarts of Valvoline full synthetic 0w20, same noise. Good oil pressure before and after the change. Granted, I didnā€™t tear down the heads on a warrantied engine with 10k on it. Oh well. Hopefully itā€™s normal. I hate ticking sounds.
[/QUOTE

Sponsored

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Mine has been making the same noise more and more often. It goes away under light partial throttle then comes back at any rpm while cruising or heavy throttle. Sounds like a Diesel engine. Weird thing is it was quiet for first 40k miles. Then hardly notice it as it was very infrequent. Iā€™m headed to the dealership tomorrow as itā€™s now almost constant and getting louder.

Rvalas

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Project Manager
Heh you think these ticks are bad just be glad these arent direct injected. Those injectors sound like trashed lifters all day long, and my hats off to the good mechanics that can diagnose bad valve train over direct port injection ticking.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that class action thing has been posted here in other threads - but their years just make little sense. Major changes were made to how things were handled in about 2015. There are millions of the 3.6 engines on the road and this makes it sound like you WILL have problems if you own one. Naw, we've owned several, nary a tick.

just be glad these arent direct injected
Another disadvantage of direct injection - oily deposits on the intake valves.......

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
First time jeep owner 2021 sport S. Coming from a honda. After reading about a lot of engine issues i decided to open the hood and take a listen. Please tell me this sounds normal for this engine
Sounds like injectors to me. Perfectly normal. Modern injectors are noisy AF.

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Hey gang, forgot to update everyone here on my ticking, the dealership initially thought it was from my bottom end so they were looking at replacing the engine. Then FCA said "wait, take pictures of the top end valvetrain" and when they did open it up it turned out to be 2 rockers on my left intake, and 1 rocker on my right, all 3 rockers caused premature burn out of the cam's (and probably a fuck ton of shavings pumped through the engine...) so they replaced all intake rockers and cams on each side. It is no longer making any sound...however...I worry this is a ticking time bomb once the shavings get into the crank bearings...and I just purchased my Magnuson Supercharger too...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey gang, forgot to update everyone here on my ticking, the dealership initially thought it was from my bottom end so they were looking at replacing the engine. Then FCA said "wait, take pictures of the top end valvetrain" and when they did open it up it turned out to be 2 rockers on my left intake, and 1 rocker on my right, all 3 rockers caused premature burn out of the cam's (and probably a fuck ton of shavings pumped through the engine...) so they replaced all intake rockers and cams on each side. It is no longer making any sound...however...I worry this is a ticking time bomb once the shavings get into the crank bearings...and I just purchased my Magnuson Supercharger too...
Unless really among the worst I've seen, unlikely to be "shavings". More likely like glitter in the oil, a really fine glitter. Honestly, it's usually too big to make it into the smaller working parts but I'd want to do a couple of closely spaced oil and filter changes. Get it hot and drop the oil.

Now what's very interesting about your comment is the "wait, take pictures..........." bit from FCA.
Hmmm, they are paying attention? They know that most abnormal 3.6 sounds are upper-end related and not the bottom end (which is redesigned in 2015with different bearing materials, etc. and is the least likely to be making sounds)

The bearing clearances are just too close for "shavings" to get in - and the oil that is pumped to them has to go through the oil pump's pickup screen, through the tight-tolerances of the pump, the filter, and so on.
I might ask that they do the phaser cleaning process, and I'd do a couple quick oil changes but for such things to get into bearings is very unlikely. I'd expect an oil pump to be torn up, first.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
In one of the engines Iā€™ve repaired, the engine had 144k miles on it, and there was a lot of oil sludge. I can attribute that roller failure to poor maintenance. In the other, it had 80k miles, and the valve train looked brand new (other than the offending rocker/lobe). The issue could be quality control at the rocker manufacturer. If there is a friction point in the roller bearing area, it may just go bad and disintegrate.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Poor maintenance ->
Jeep Gladiator Engine Ticking Sound cam-dist-gear-0055

Contrary to what people claim on the web out there, engines exist that aren't strictly roller type valve trains. These experience forces, frictions, similar to the "old flat tappet" engines of the last century.
That means maintenance is important, and the same things that caused issues in the past can cause issues today - manufacturing issues, materials not properly treated - nitriding, carburizing, induction hardening.............
Not sure what these would go through without digging, but is it the follower or rocker, or the cam itself? At least the old school cam design saw the lifters constantly rotating, these simply drag across the cam lobe (well, unless riding the rollers on the edge lobes)

One company has shown that your old school roller lifters with bearings were problematic so they went to a bushing type system. Too much concentrated force on the roller bearing needles.
Sponsored