First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Seen a few posts but still confused.
Question is, if you run a ESS bypass (tazer) and never want the option back can you pull and delete the small battery and cables?

Or is there other reasons to keep it intact other than for ESS?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Seen a few posts but still confused.
Question is, if you run a ESS bypass (tazer) and never want the option back can you pull and delete the small battery and cables?

Or is there other reasons to keep it intact other than for ESS?

Thanks!!!
The ESS system is always active. It cannot be removed or deactivated. The Tazer and other ESS override devices just intervene by keeping the dash button in the Off position unless you turn it on.

There are threads on rewiring the system and removing the ESS battery. Others install the Genesis Dual Battery kit, which removes the ESS battery and uses the second battery to also feed the ESS system.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Still don't understand the logic in doing any of this but to each their own I guess.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
The Logic as I understand is yes you are saving some amount of MPG, and emissions but exercising the starter possibly hundreds of times a day sounds scary......running an engine up to a stop then shutting it down for a minute allowing oil pressure to drain down............, shutting off the water pump and cooling fan to not allow an engine to gool down, are all some thoughts I have. I truly believe that there will be some life lost on the engine over a long time. BUT, global warming seems to be a real thing and in the winter seeing the exhaust fumes from every car sitting stuck in traffic almost makes me want to hold my breath!.....Jack

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The Logic as I understand is yes you are saving some amount of MPG, and emissions but exercising the starter possibly hundreds of times a day sounds scary......running an engine up to a stop then shutting it down for a minute allowing oil pressure to drain down............, shutting off the water pump and cooling fan to not allow an engine to gool down, are all some thoughts I have. I truly believe that there will be some life lost on the engine over a long time. BUT, global warming seems to be a real thing and in the winter seeing the exhaust fumes from every car sitting stuck in traffic almost makes me want to hold my breath!.....Jack
I understand what your saying but know people that have these ESS systems on their vehicles, some with over 200,000 miles and have never experienced any problems. I'd really have to see some long term comparisons to believe that it could harm your engine. These engineers that design these things are pretty smart

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I think one of the worst contributing things to global warming is the energy consumption in mining, manufacturing and disposal of lead and lithium batteries. The economics to produce and maintain the ESS system don't add up to the savings in fuel. By the way, is the ESS in the diesel Gladiators?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think one of the worst contributing things to global warming is the energy consumption in mining, manufacturing and disposal of lead and lithium batteries. The economics to produce and maintain the ESS system don't add up to the savings in fuel. By the way, is the ESS in the diesel Gladiators?
I wouldn't bet on that.

My 3.6L gas JL with ESS had an issue with the system and ESS was disabled with the light on the dash. It took the dealership and engineers at Jeep 3-4 weeks to figure out how to make it work again. Now, I hand calculate my mileage with every fillup. Been doing that for years on all my vehicles. While my ESS system was totally inop, I saw a 1 MPG decrease in weekly fuel economy. As soon as the ESS system was repaired, my mileage returned to its normal level.

1 MPG doesn't sound like a lot, but when you do the math on it and stretch it out over several years it becomes a lot of fuel. Then multiply that by the tens of thousands of Jeeps they sell each quarter of each year.....

ESS makes a HUGE difference economically and environmentally.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Also, hasn't ESS been around for awhile? I'm pretty sure Europe started requiring it in 2009...

Tacos

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon ECO Diesel
Occupation
Metal Pattern Maker
Unfortunately yes it is and it sucks ass in a diesel when you have been running 75mph for the last 70 miles and take a off ramp and it stops the engine. You lose all your boost and that sudden off is hard on the exhaust emissions components I'm sure

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I am pretty sure they engineered in those concerns with a better starter and addressed any other potential issue with having ESS on the current BSG coded Pentastar V6 engines.

If you count the Wrangler JL that started in 2018, we are going on 4 model years with this system. If it had attributable flaws to its design, the forums would be littered with people complaining about failed starters and other engine woes related to ESS which is just not the case.

About the only niggle is the second battery when it goes, can take down the main battery at the same time.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I simply refuse to believe stuffing a little motorcycle battery under the fuse box (which can knock the entire vehicle down) is a proper solution to anything. I'm not an EE, but there must be a more elegant way to do this.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I can see some of you have missed my point. The cost to produce, the cost to maintain, the added weight negates the savings in the cost of fuel you save. If you truly want to save the environment, why would you buy a Gladiator of all things. To quote and old saying: White man speak with forked tongue.

My 3.6L gas JL with ESS had an issue with the system and ESS was disabled with the light on the dash. It took the dealership and engineers at Jeep 3-4 weeks to figure out how to make it work again.
The hours spent by the people at the dealership as well as the engineers at Jeep have a cost associated with them although it is absorb in the warranty no cost to you, but a cost non the less that you can't put into your equation.

I'm telling you, we don't need the ESS and if it were an option, not stuck in some package for the consumer, then you could see how many buyers would chose it.

The richest men on the planet preach this crap, then take a 15 minute joy ride into space using more energy than 50 commercial airliners, who buy the way dump excess fuel in the air above us to make safe landings.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I can see some of you have missed my point. The cost to produce, the cost to maintain, the added weight negates the savings in the cost of fuel you save. If you truly want to save the environment, why would you buy a Gladiator of all things. To quote and old saying: White man speak with forked tongue.

The hours spent by the people at the dealership as well as the engineers at Jeep have a cost associated with them although it is absorb in the warranty no cost to you, but a cost non the less that you can't put into your equation.

I'm telling you, we don't need the ESS and if it were an option, not stuck in some package for the consumer, then you could see how many buyers would chose it.

The richest men on the planet preach this crap, then take a 15 minute joy ride into space using more energy than 50 commercial airliners, who buy the way dump excess fuel in the air above us to make safe landings.
It actually does make a difference and doesn't cost as much as you think to integrate it into the system while they are building it. I really don't think it matters to most

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
You are right it doesn't matter enough to make me not buy it.
Sponsored