Exhaust delete and replacement straight piping

Mdeutsch

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So I recently did an exhaust delete on my 2021 Gladiator when it had about 400 miles on it. I’m creeping up to 1200 miles and I love the throaty sound the exhaust makes with just a few pieces of welded straight pipe. However, winter is coming and I am growing concerned about potential in-leakage of cold ambient air back into my motor since I was unwilling to weld the straight pipe to the factory pipe connected to the cat. Does anyone know a website with decent prices for straight pipe exhaust? Also, the exhaust delete does increase the gas mileage on the gladiator, I went from 16 city mph to upwards of 18.7 city mpg. Wasn’t able to get a good measurement of the highway mileage increase since most of my driving is done on city and back roads with speeds ranging from 25-45 mph.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
So let me get this straight, you did a exhaust delete and gained 2.7 mpg, wonder why FCA didn't think of that. Maybe you should go to work for FCA in their engineering dept. I'm inclined to question the validation of this post based on years of research by people smarter than me, just saying.

OP
OP

Mdeutsch

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So let me get this straight, you did a exhaust delete and gained 2.7 mpg, wonder why FCA didn't think of that. Maybe you should go to work for FCA in their engineering dept. I'm inclined to question the validation of this post based on years of research by people smarter than me, just saying.
Well considering you can legally buy straight pipe exhaust that doesn’t have resonators or coffin exhaust that ultimately hinder the performance of the vehicle by reducing it’s air flow while still passing state emissions. I’m inclined to say your condescending tone is counter productive to my thread but thanks for trying friend. 😬

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Well considering you can legally buy straight pipe exhaust that doesn’t have resonators or coffin exhaust that ultimately hinder the performance of the vehicle by reducing it’s air flow while still passing state emissions. I’m inclined to say your condescending tone is counter productive to my thread but thanks for trying friend. 😬
I understand what your saying but unless you can provide proof other than your word that you gained 2.7 Mpgs then I'd say it's BS personally. I've been doing exhaust deletes and other mods are cars, CAIs, etc for years and they have been done already in other threads on this forum and your the first to report a gain like that. Most report back zero gain very little gain at all. I know you can legally do it and pass emissions, I wasn't questioning that, I'm just saying 2.7 is a lot and if you could make gains like that then they would had these things like that from the factory.

OP
OP

Mdeutsch

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I understand what your saying but unless you can provide proof other than your word that you gained 2.7 Mpgs then I'd say it's BS personally. I've been doing exhaust deletes and other mods are cars, CAIs, etc for years and they have been done already in other threads on this forum and your the first to report a gain like that. Most report back zero gain very little gain at all. I know you can legally do it and pass emissions, I wasn't questioning that, I'm just saying 2.7 is a lot and if you could make gains like that then they would had these things like that from the factory.
Here you go this photo was taken about a week after I did the exhaust delete. I don’t have a photo of the 18.7 and I have no reason to lie. It doesn’t matter to me if you believe me or not, I have had other people in my Jeep and they have seen it. Now that photo was also taken when the average daily temperature was 20-25 degrees warmer than it is right now and the 99 mph is because I was coasting down a hill. Also, I’m thinking that while allowing my Jeep to warm up on these cold days for 10 plus minutes is hurting the gas mileage because the computer is registering a 0mph reading but I’m not entirely sure that gets calculated in (still researching that). I have also heard and seen videos where people prove and complain about loss of gas mileage due to crappy winter gas but that’s normally in northern Midwest states.

Jeep Gladiator Exhaust delete and replacement straight piping 2800D2A4-25A6-4E62-8F9F-ADC08A429798

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go this photo was taken about a week after I did the exhaust delete. I don’t have a photo of the 18.7 and I have no reason to lie. It doesn’t matter to me if you believe me or not, I have had other people in my Jeep and they have seen it. Now that photo was also taken when the average daily temperature was 20-25 degrees warmer than it is right now and the 99 mph is because I was coasting down a hill. Also, I’m thinking that while allowing my Jeep to warm up on these cold days for 10 plus minutes is hurting the gas mileage because the computer is registering a 0mph reading but I’m not entirely sure that gets calculated in (still researching that). I have also heard and seen videos where people prove and complain about loss of gas mileage due to crappy winter gas but that’s normally in northern Midwest states.

Jeep Gladiator Exhaust delete and replacement straight piping 2800D2A4-25A6-4E62-8F9F-ADC08A429798
I'm getting 17.2 Mpgs on 37's without a exhaust delete, also got 18.1 on a trip to the beach back at the beginning of October. While that proves you are 18, I am not sold on it being from a exhaust delete based on my experience with my own jeep.

Jeep Gladiator Exhaust delete and replacement straight piping PXL_20210817_100423667

Trip to the beach
Jeep Gladiator Exhaust delete and replacement straight piping PXL_20210905_004847950

Just saying based on your info I could get 20 out of mine if I straight pipe it.

Mine as it sits
Jeep Gladiator Exhaust delete and replacement straight piping PXL_20211017_152546716

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
All of the Gladiator threads about gas mileage noted an increase as the vehicle went through its first thousand to 2 thousand miles.
Good point, I just realized he only had 598 miles on it when the picture was taken, that's exactly what's going on here. Good catch!

OP
OP

Mdeutsch

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I’ve been holding over 18 consistently until the 20-35 degree days started now it’s about 17.8. Also on the one highway trip I did take averaging 60 mph my average fuel economy was over 26 mpg. Idk that you would be able to get 20 mpg on yours since you have bigger tires, but it is possible if you are driving more highway miles than city. But one doesn’t buy a Jeep for fuel economy. Which leads back to the point of the thread where can I find a decently priced exhaust that I can weld on or have welded on as I am still concerned about potential unregulated cold air in-leakage to the motor. I live in Pennsylvania and winters here tend to average temps in the teens during the day and single digits at night and I don’t want to damage my motor as this is basically a brand new Jeep.

OP
OP

Mdeutsch

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I’ve been holding over 18 consistently with almost 1300 on it now, until the 20-35 degree days started now it’s about 17.8. Also on the one highway trip I did take averaging 60 mph my average fuel economy was over 26 mpg. Idk that you would be able to get 20 mpg on yours since you have bigger tires, but it is possible if you are driving more highway miles than city. But one doesn’t buy a Jeep for fuel economy. Which leads back to the point of the thread where can I find a decently priced exhaust that I can weld on or have welded on as I am still concerned about potential unregulated cold air in-leakage to the motor. I live in Pennsylvania and winters here tend to average temps in the teens during the day and single digits at night and I don’t want to damage my motor as this is basically a brand new Jeep.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
On one hand, I perfectly understand why jeep doesn't sell a straight piped JT from the factory. It won't pass mandated noise limits, and would be off putting to most buyers if they did. On the other hand, 2.7 mpg sounds like a lot. Did you delete the catalyst too? Just cat back?

OP
OP

Mdeutsch

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
On one hand, I perfectly understand why jeep doesn't sell a straight piped JT from the factory. It won't pass mandated noise limits, and would be off putting to most buyers if they did. On the other hand, 2.7 mpg sounds like a lot. Did you delete the catalyst too? Just cat back?
Just the cat back and worth a not the 2.7 was the highest I got it up to but it didn’t last there to long. Also mine is a manual transmission so I do have more control to keep it at a lower rpm when driving.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Just the cat back and worth a not the 2.7 was the highest I got it up to but it didn’t last there to long. Also mine is a manual transmission so I do have more control to keep it at a lower rpm when driving.
Mine is manual too. 18 is attainable stock. I was getting 18.3 overall before it started get real cold. Now I'm down to about 17. That was before 35s. I'm sure that will decrease a tad now.

OP
OP

Mdeutsch

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Mine is manual too. 18 is attainable stock. I was getting 18.3 overall before it started get real cold. Now I'm down to about 17. That was before 35s. I'm sure that will decrease a tad now.
Yeah since the it got real cold I’m floating between 17.4-17.8. I’ve also been keeping a written log of miles at each fill up to compare to what the computer gas mileage is. Mainly just trying to figure out if spending 600-1500 on a straight pipe exhaust is worth it at this point or just taking off the tester pipe and going back to stock. I really like how the straight pipe sounds, plus any gas mileage I can gain before putting on 35’s or 37’s is a plus so I don’t drop to far under 16 when I do put them on.
Sponsored