Falken Wildpeak tires are loud.

Benharris

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
I recently put some Launch Edition rims with Falken Wildpeak stock tires on my '21 Sport S. I love the look, but they are significantly louder than the stock Sport S tires, which honestly looked terrible. Does anyone have recommendations for all terrain tires in that size range that are a little quieter?

I do think the Falkens ride smooth, and I like their traction when off roading, they're just loud on the highway. Am I stuck with a little more noise if I'm gonna have a bigger tire?
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I recently switched from the factory Wildpeak AT3Ws to BFG KO2 and the KO2s are quieter, but it's not a huge difference at all. IMO, the Wildpeak AT3W noise is more of a 'whooshing' on the highway, and I don't find it irritating at all. There may be some quieter ATs out there, but I don't think you are going to get anything that is significantly quieter that the Wildpeaks.

Of course, all this is assuming that the take-offs you put on were in basically new condition. If they are worn and were not properly rotated, then new AT#ws or KO2s will be much quieter.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Even the non optional willys tires are loud. Very aggressive tread cut.

ATs are always gonna be louder than street tires, just nothing you can do about that. 11 rotations per second at 65mph, those gaps between tread blocks mean the tread blocks are effectively slapping the ground very often. Creates noise.

You can usually tell how loud an AT is gonna be just looking at its tread. Larger gaps between blocks means more noise.

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
My buddy put 32 inch STT Pros on his tocama .. they are loud! and my falkens are also loud stock 33,s with 10k and are begining to feather also ..

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I've heard the BFG K02 and Toyo Open Country AT are pretty quiet. I've got the Falkens and haven't really noticed that they're particularly loud for AT tires though.
I have 33” Toyo Open Country AT3’s and they’re very quiet for being a rather aggressive A/T tire. The noise they make versus the stock Bridgestones is nearly indistinguishable.

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 line is excellent. For whatever reason the Coopers seem to be overlooked in a world of Nittos, Toyos, and BFGs. I personally have the AT3 XLT, which is a heavy-duty tire with deeper treads and stiffer sidewalls. The tires are very quiet. If you want something closer to stock ride quality the AT3 4S line is the way to go. They're less aggressive but the tread pattern is the same.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you have just discovered the cost of having AT tires.

When I was test driving Gladiators, the first one I drove was a Willys with MT tires. I knew immediately that if that was the Gladiator experience, I didn't want a Gladiator.

Then I drove a lower range truck with car tires and while the ride was almost as terrible as the Willys, it was surprisingly quiet. (mostly wind noise, which is a constant with all Gladiators)

Then I drove a Mojave on AT tires and found the ride to be the best and the noise to be tolerable.

The bottom line is that the Falken ATs are considered to be a civilized, smooth, quiet AT tire. Is there something better? Probably yes. But its not going to be night and day.

One option you may want to consider is one of the growing number of "fake" AT tires. Tires designed to look "tough" but really prioritized for street use.

Check out Continental Terrain Contact AT. Its got great reviews on TireRack.com and is available in a number of jeep appropriate sizes including 315/70-17s (almost 35s) and 285/70-17s (standard Mojave/Rubicon size)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact+A/T

If you can swing the dough, it sounds like the Conti will make you happy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I recently put some Launch Edition rims with Falken Wildpeak stock tires on my '21 Sport S. I love the look, but they are significantly louder than the stock Sport S tires, which honestly looked terrible. Does anyone have recommendations for all terrain tires in that size range that are a little quieter?

I do think the Falkens ride smooth, and I like their traction when off roading, they're just loud on the highway. Am I stuck with a little more noise if I'm gonna have a bigger tire?
Smooth has never been my experience with ATs, I think the falkens ride rough and yeah they are loud

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
As stated above the size of the gap between lugs and the size of the lug drives the slapping noise. New tires typically have sipping on the first 1/8" or so of tread so and that further quiets the noise.

I just installed some lightly used cooper at3 4s load c and they are better but not as good as stock HT tires for noise or ride comfort.

I really wish there were 33x10.5x17 in a highway HT tire that was load c. They all seem to be d or e

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
You should hear the factory Mud Terrains on the Willys. It's whirring and whooshing at anything over 40. 70mph you can fall asleep with the noise.
Agree 100%

Had MT’s on my 12 Rubicon, changed to Wildpeak AT’s. Liked them a lot!

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Falken AT's have an interesting compound, the silica in it makes them hiss a little bit compared to the KO2's. I put my take offs on my YJ, so hearing the tires over all the other loud noises isn't really a thing. Just understand, AT's are a compromise between an off-pavement and on-pavement tire.

Buying a solid axle Jeep for on-pavement quiet, comfort and civility is kind of doing it wrong, in my view.
Sponsored

Last edited: