Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa, what you are saying isn't correct. Jeep cannot void the warranty simply because an owner extends a drain interval. When I was an Amsoil dealer, we discussed this from a legal matter. As a matter of fact, and at that time, Amsoil had never lost a single case in court due to the extended drain interval scenario or for running a non-API certified oil. I've not been in the Amsoil circle for several years, but this has been disputed many times and the courts have sided with Amsoil every single time.
So the FTC is wrong. IF I decide I'm going to extend to 20,000 miles - I'm fine and Jeep can't do a thing to me like deny coverage for a blown engine with scored bearings.
We can all ignore any fluid change intervals and Jeep has to cover it.
And according to you, I can use any oil I choose, even oil made for my air compressor. It's oil.

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1657929515694

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Good news that you're finally getting it back. What was the source of the coolant leak?
The coolant leak in the engine is under investigation. They have put a dye in the coolant and after driving 10k kms, they will measure how much the amount dropped in the bottle and shoot the oil with a special light that detects the dye. FCA will then decide what next steps to take.

FCA didn’t acknowledge the glycol contamination in the transmission and said everything was fine and blamed AMSOIL for destroying the transmission, hoses, cooler and trans heater and said ZF does not approve of AMSOIL and is not an “equivalent” oil to MOPAR 8/9 Speed ATF. AMSOIL said it wasn’t our oil that wrecked everything, it was the glycol and extreme wear in the transmission PRIOR to my doing a flush.

AMSOIL legal counsel got involved and asked me to explain my accusation that “AMSOIL walked away” to let me fight this battle on my own. I gave him all I had to prove what I said. It’s been probably 3 weeks at least. Haven’t heard anything.

Sponsored

scoobycarolanNC

First Name
Scooby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mohave
Congrats on getting your truck back! This is gonna sound dumb, but did you call Jeep Wave? I only ask because I've had them do miracles for me in the past.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Congrats on getting your truck back! This is gonna sound dumb, but did you call Jeep Wave? I only ask because I've had them do miracles for me in the past.
We don’t have jeep wave up here in canada

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
So....how it the JT behaving?
The jeep is amazing! The oil sample taken to the lab shows no glycol contamination either. I couldn’t be happier.

I had the dealership change all the oils in the diffs/trans case and engine to swap out the AMSOIL for Mopar so the DSM doesn’t have an aneurysm if I’m needing warranty work done in the future.

FCA is investigating the internal coolant leak in the engine now and not making me pay for it. Service tech installed a dye in the coolant bottle and topped up the coolant to the MAX line. I’ll drive it 10k kms and they will shoot the engine oil with a light that will detect the dye and proceed with next steps.

Since new, engine is consuming 10-12 ounces of coolant every oil change period.

Back in July 2021, (misfire camshaft replacement) and 3 oil analysis reports given to service department and FCA, …FCA engineer (a big shout out to Norm here) had no problem with the consumption and instructed the tech to only change the camshaft. Engineer (Norm) said “coolant in the oil didn’t damage the camshaft.” Tech mentioned to service advisor “coolant in the oil is normal”. It wasn’t getting fixed and the second dealership (where the transmission drama starts said Chrysler doesn’t view your engine broken so won’t fix it. ) Obviously, I was to live with the defective engine and hope it blows up before warranty expires.

So, I’m grateful the new service manager (3rd dealership) had the intuition to check and test the transmission heater unit for coolant leaks and found “unit was sound and free of defects. The only way glycol got in the transmission was being deliberately put in there.” My insurance company approved my vandalism claim on my transmission saying to me yesterday that the glycol damage was most unfortunate and out of my control. It’s a substance that does not belong in there and destroyed the transmission.

FCA said transmission was fine and there was no reason to have done an oil analysis and take my own action to flush transmission with AMSOIL. Transmission worked before AMSOIL and broke after AMSOIL. (Cover up for sloppy manufacturing practice and my transmission missed a wash step. Nobody’s the wiser if you don’t look)

To date, AMSOIL lawyer took over my claim against them to replace my transmission as I told them “their oil may not have destroyed my transmission but the use of it destroyed my warranty” and they can no longer claim “warranty secure”up here in Canada specifically dealing with Chrysler/ZF transmissions. Lawyer took my evidence of what happened including my communications with ZF and discussions with AMSOIL’s tech support that later told me “do not use AMSOIL in your brand new transmission. Wait till your warranty period is done and if it still works by then, then he has all confidence AMSOIL will work just fine in there.”

AMSOIL still remains silent.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The jeep is amazing! The oil sample taken to the lab shows no glycol contamination either. I couldn’t be happier.

I had the dealership change all the oils in the diffs/trans case and engine to swap out the AMSOIL for Mopar so the DSM doesn’t have an aneurysm if I’m needing warranty work done in the future.

FCA is investigating the internal coolant leak in the engine now and not making me pay for it. Service tech installed a dye in the coolant bottle and topped up the coolant to the MAX line. I’ll drive it 10k kms and they will shoot the engine oil with a light that will detect the dye and proceed with next steps.

Back in July 2021, (misfire camshaft replacement) and 3 oil analysis reports given to service department and FCA, …FCA engineer (a big shout out to Norm here) had no problem with the consumption and instructed the tech to only change the camshaft. Engineer (Norm) said “coolant in the oil didn’t damage the camshaft.” Tech mentioned to service advisor “coolant in the oil is normal”. It wasn’t getting fixed and the second dealership (where the transmission drama starts said Chrysler doesn’t view your engine broken so won’t fix it. ) Obviously, I was to live with the defective engine and hope it blows up before warranty expires.

So, I’m grateful the new service manager (3rd dealership) had the intuition to check and test the transmission heater unit for coolant leaks and found “unit was sound and free of defects. The only way glycol got in the transmission was being deliberately put in there.” My insurance company approved my vandalism claim on my transmission saying to me yesterday that the glycol damage was most unfortunate and out of my control. It’s a substance that does not belong in there and destroyed the transmission.

FCA said transmission was fine and there was no reason to have done an oil analysis and take my own action to flush transmission with AMSOIL. Transmission worked before AMSOIL and broke after AMSOIL. (Cover up for sloppy manufacturing practice and my transmission missed a wash step. Nobody’s the wiser if you don’t look)

To date, AMSOIL lawyer took over my claim against them to replace my transmission as I told them “their oil may not have destroyed my transmission but the use of it destroyed my warranty” and they can no longer claim “warranty secure”up here in Canada specifically dealing with Chrysler/ZF transmissions. Lawyer took my evidence of what happened including my communications with ZF and discussions with AMSOIL’s tech support that later told me “do not use AMSOIL in your brand new transmission. Wait till your warranty period is done and if it still works by then, then he has all confidence AMSOIL will work just fine in there.”

AMSOIL still remains silent.
Glad it's running good for you. After what you been through. You need a break.

Sponsored

Bffy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Auto industry

AMSOIL still remains silent
So it finally came in today I get my truck back after 3 months of bull shit all for a transmission to be in Ontario this hole time thanks maximus for all your hard work without you I'd be waiting who knows how long

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
AWESOME BFFY!! It only took a couple calls to locate one for you! Glad you’ll be back in the saddle once again!

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Unfortunately, if it was never changed at all, and just allowed to die on its own, they would have replaced it.

Volkswagen does the same thing with colors, even on engine oil. Authorized oil is a special shade of green on the newer models.
This is quite common in industry, adding taggants. Lycra for example contains taggants that differentiate their branded material,. Some companies vary the taggant by market where pricing is different to catch unauthorized distribution. This stuff is becoming very prevalent as the technology is mature and well worth the costs of implementation. You’d be surprised where this stuff shows up. Counterfeit productshave become a major concern and so I’d be surprised if ZF or whomever doesn’t have a rapid test to verify that a given fluid is theirs or not.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Counterfeit productshave become a major concern and so I’d be surprised if ZF or whomever doesn’t have a rapid test to verify that a given fluid is theirs or not.
You know they can test for that. It's nothing these days to test for extremely minor amounts of specifics.
Cheating, counterfeits, working the systems, it's a big deal, big money. It's one reason when oils are tested for certification, manufacturers aren't asked to send samples, test lab employees go out and buy oil off the shelf from stores or from bulk dispensers at the oil change places.
Sponsored