Sponsored

Finally got my Jeep! Day 2 / 250 miles - Is All this Normal?

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
’21 Ruicon here purchased 12/28. No noise or wandering issues. So much so, my CFO is thinking she wants to get rid of her Explorer Sport for a Wrangler.

Rubi is much smoother and nicer riding than her X Sport. This coming from a long time Ford owner and loving them.

As others have said, tire pressure from dealer was off the charts. Air down off showroom.

1400 miles and 17 mpg so far. Granted most of that has been off road :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
mbush91

mbush91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Thanks for all the replys! Tire pressures right at 35 so that seems okay. Filling her up for the first time now so I'll definitely do the pain calculation next time on the miles. Glad to hear that gas mileage improves with the break-in. Definitely should get a little better with summer as well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the replys! Tire pressures right at 35 so that seems okay. Filling her up for the first time now so I'll definitely do the pain calculation next time on the miles. Glad to hear that gas mileage improves with the break-in. Definitely should get a little better with summer as well.
Oh, absolutely should be better with better weather. Mine drops noticeably with the onset of winter.
Several here have noted how the MPG got better with time.

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
Don't accept that "solid axle doesn't do as well" type of bunk these days. There's no excuse and no, wander or pull is NOT normal, solid axle or not. This is 2021, not 1940.
These should handle as well as any other truck with the sort of steering it has - it should be as good as a similar Chevy or Ford.
Wander can be many things - dealers often inflate the tires way over the door sticker number, or not set them down from the factory over-inflated numbers.
Your mud tires won't help handling any - and it won't be quiet. MPG will normally improve with miles. Mine jumped up after about 7,000 miles or so.
Again, solid axles can and should steer fine - NOT wander and not pull and they should be as stable as anything else out there. When you are on a highway that's at least reasonably smooth and level - where's the reason for any drift or wander? The steering you have on these is the same as any other truck (unless you find one with rack and pinion)
These will have the same sort of alignment built in - similar camber, similar caster, SAI, scrub radius and so on - so why should they wander or feel less than straight and stable? They shouldn't. So don't accept that solid axle stuff as an excuse.
Just ask those who have JTs that handle just as well as other trucks. Any that don't are abnormal.
I’m sorry but all solid axle trucks wander. It is 1940’s technology. Nothing has changed. They’ve added steering dampers to help but it’s almost exactly the same as a 1940’s Jeep. They’ve ditched the bell crank, and added drag links but none of that is “ modern “ I’ve worked on enough trucks to know. I have a 310T truck ticket. I’ve worked on everything from cars to highway tractors. Some wander is par for the course in this type of steering system. Over inflated tires, a sub par factory steering damper and you can get more than
“ normal “ wander. But if you are implying that my gladiator should track as well as my M2, or my X4M you are very wrong.

Last edited:

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
I think a big part of your problem is the mud terrain tires, they will probably improve a bit as they break in but they really affect ride, fuel economy, steering and breaking in my opinion. all terrains are much better on-road. Wind noise is just a jeep thing....I actually think the hardtop JT and JL are a bit louder than the jk hard top at times

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry but all solid axle trucks wander. It is 1940’s technology. Nothing has changed. They’ve added steering dampers to help but it’s almost exactly the same as a 1940’s Jeep. They’ve ditched the bell crank, and added drag links but none of that is “ modern “ I’ve worked on enough trucks to know. I have a 310T truck ticket. I’ve worked on everything from cars to highway tractors. Some wander is par for the course in this type of steering system. Over inflated tires, a sub par factory steering damper and you can get more than
“ normal “ wander. But if you are implying that my gladiator should track as well as my M2, or my X4M you are very wrong.
A number of us here would disagree. I drive a 2004 WJ and have had a number of other solid axle vehicles. They do not wander and are as stable as any other truck or other vehicle I've driven. There's no reason for them to wander if they are set up correctly.
What's different about this steering system? It's got a recirculating ball steering gear, it's got caster to keep things wanting to go straight.

After mine got the new steering gear it was as straight and true as any other truck I've owned. /
My WJ is solid axle and it's very true going down the road. No wander and after a turn it wants to head back straight again. I can let go of the wheel and it tracks true as anything else I have that is recirculating ball steering gear.
You must have bad luck as a good many of us feel these are very true and stable.
Explain why it should wander?
You do realize it's NOT the steering itself that causes wander unless it's LOOSE - but alignment that helps hold things going straight.
I've worked on hundreds of front ends and suspensions myself, I've aligned hundreds of cars and trucks. I've never had a solid axle vehicle that wandered. (unless you consider my grain trucks but those are different animals. )
Ask others here if their JTs (AFTER steering gear replacement) or their ZJ or WJ wanders.
Don't even think of comparing to something with rack and pinion like a WK or WK2.
Rack and pinion is TIGHT and QUICK.

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
With the muds if you like tighter feeling steering I really noticed a difference when I upgraded the steering stabilizer. I got a really good deal on a teraflex one and like it. Seemed to clean up a bit of wander and my factory one was leaking at 5,000 miles. If your jeep has the old steering gear call your dealership and get on the waiting list. Again, as others have said, more wheel time will help. Also if you have big temp swings where you live watch tire pressure. I'm on 35s and at 30°f I'm at 29psi while at 65°f I read 34-35 psi cold.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All!! I picked up my new JT on Saturday morning and overall I love it! The Sting-Gray color with the black trim of the Willys package is badass. Already kicked in the 4WD for some heavy snow. Heated seats and steering wheel are wonderful. And all the tech on board is everything I wanted. But I purchased it about 150miles from my house and was a bit surprised when I hit the express way. (This is my first every JL/JT Jeep)

I have noticed the first time I drove it that it likes to wander on the road quite a bit, more than I ever noticed with the rubi I test drove. Does the looseness in the steering just vary from truck to truck? Between that and the wind on the express-way there were times I felt like I was having trouble staying in my lane. I was pretty uncomfortable with the experience.

Then next thing that bothered me was the vibrations from the road. I could feel it all the way into my steering-wheel. It almost felt like I had a nice subwoofer and it was vibrating everything in the vehicle. Sometimes it was just a constant thrummmmm thrummmmm thrummmmm. Maybe the Mud-Tires that come with the Willys are the culprit?

Third was the road noise. It was loud but more than I would have expected. And it sounded like air was leaking in somewhere, like it was being blown in through a straw. Maybe the roof/door isn't sealing right??

Last was the MPG. I know it's a box on wheels but 13.6?

sticker: https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6HJTAGXML553215
I learned real quick that you don't drive the JT, you herd it. You get used to it. My tire inflation was high and as the tires have worn, it's gotten better. I just drove to the beach and back and it was great.

Sponsored

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
A number of us here would disagree. I drive a 2004 WJ and have had a number of other solid axle vehicles. They do not wander and are as stable as any other truck or other vehicle I've driven. There's no reason for them to wander if they are set up correctly.
What's different about this steering system? It's got a recirculating ball steering gear, it's got caster to keep things wanting to go straight.

After mine got the new steering gear it was as straight and true as any other truck I've owned. /
My WJ is solid axle and it's very true going down the road. No wander and after a turn it wants to head back straight again. I can let go of the wheel and it tracks true as anything else I have that is recirculating ball steering gear.
You must have bad luck as a good many of us feel these are very true and stable.
Explain why it should wander?
You do realize it's NOT the steering itself that causes wander unless it's LOOSE - but alignment that helps hold things going straight.
I've worked on hundreds of front ends and suspensions myself, I've aligned hundreds of cars and trucks. I've never had a solid axle vehicle that wandered. (unless you consider my grain trucks but those are different animals. )
Ask others here if their JTs (AFTER steering gear replacement) or their ZJ or WJ wanders.
Don't even think of comparing to something with rack and pinion like a WK or WK2.
Rack and pinion is TIGHT and QUICK.
I think you are miss interpreting what I’m saying. If OP came from a more modern steering setup vehicle or a Honda Civic for the sake of the conversation. There can’t be the expectation that a JL/JT will behave in the same way. I’m not saying loose steering boxes or tons of slop are acceptable. But most solid axle trucks have some tendency to follow road crests/ruts/cracks and wander slightly.
If you are fighting to correct it all the time that’s not normal. But if this is your first ever jeep and you find yourself making some minor steering corrections more often than you did on your XYZ other vehicle it is in some casses the nature of the vehicle. Example I live in Atlantic Canada, roads are terrible here, not much gravel under road surfaces and they tend to be rutted/depressed in the wheel path. My BMW’s both drive much better on these roads than my Jeep does. To be honest the X4 drives the best, the M2 behaves well but it’s a sports car and it’s set up aggressively. The Jeep handles well, better than any Jeep I’ve owned. It’s my 7 th. But it does tend to follow the ruts and road a little more than my other two cars. So what I’m saying is you can’t compare a Jeep Gladiator with XYZ other cars and expect the same behavior.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Yes, but his description is not normal. I do 80-85 on the highway with none of that unacceptable crap.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
With the muds if you like tighter feeling steering I really noticed a difference when I upgraded the steering stabilizer. I got a really good deal on a teraflex one and like it. Seemed to clean up a bit of wander and my factory one was leaking at 5,000 miles. If your jeep has the old steering gear call your dealership and get on the waiting list. Again, as others have said, more wheel time will help. Also if you have big temp swings where you live watch tire pressure. I'm on 35s and at 30°f I'm at 29psi while at 65°f I read 34-35 psi cold.
Why not have the dealership replace the stabilizer and try that out before spending money?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I think you are miss interpreting what I’m saying. If OP came from a more modern steering setup vehicle or a Honda Civic for the sake of the conversation. There can’t be the expectation that a JL/JT will behave in the same way. I’m not saying loose steering boxes or tons of slop are acceptable. But most solid axle trucks have some tendency to follow road crests/ruts/cracks and wander slightly.
If you are fighting to correct it all the time that’s not normal. But if this is your first ever jeep and you find yourself making some minor steering corrections more often than you did on your XYZ other vehicle it is in some casses the nature of the vehicle. Example I live in Atlantic Canada, roads are terrible here, not much gravel under road surfaces and they tend to be rutted/depressed in the wheel path. My BMW’s both drive much better on these roads than my Jeep does. To be honest the X4 drives the best, the M2 behaves well but it’s a sports car and it’s set up aggressively. The Jeep handles well, better than any Jeep I’ve owned. It’s my 7 th. But it does tend to follow the ruts and road a little more than my other two cars. So what I’m saying is you can’t compare a Jeep Gladiator with XYZ other cars and expect the same behavior.
And Gladiator models with the wider track notice the wander less. Even a semi with solid front axle needs some correcting from time to time.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

FCA ships these Jeeps with the tires grossly overinflated by +10 PSI. Lowering the tire pressure down to the mid-30s will reduce the steering wander and ride stiffness.

The Rubicon you test drove likely had KO2 ATs, which is one of the most refined, comfortable and competent truck tires on the market. Willys comes with MTs, which are heavier, handle more loosely, ride more stiffly and roll louder on the road.

MTs look tough, so FCA uses them as part of the appearance package. But unless you plan to traverse the Rubicon trail twice a week, they are overkill for 90% of Jeep owners.

The good news is if you find those tires too jerky they can be easily swapped.

Good luck.
Sponsored

Last edited: