First Jeep, is this normal? (Steering)

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I finally picked up my truck yesterday. When I test drove the truck, I noticed that it was pulling left. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said this was normal due to solid axle and that Jeeps wonder a little bit In general.

I was driving back from the dealer (Boise to SF) where I took this video. In the video, you’ll notice 2 things. First that the steering seems fairly loose and in the last part, I let it go and it starts pulling left.

Now, if it’s only an alignment issue, I don’t care as I will have to do a realignment after putting the lift kit, shocks, steering system and stabilizer. If it’s not that, then I would like to take it to a local dealer and deal with it before making all the mods. Any thoughts?

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Steering wheel looks normal. Looks like there might be a little pull to the left. Wind and the angle of the road will effect it more than an average car but unless the wind is blowing pretty good it should stay in the lane. Probably alignment.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
The play in the center is about the normal amount that I've had in my past JK and the JT now. The pulling to the right seems like it might be the slope of the road. In the video it seems the road slopes to the right so you'd have to correct it by steering a bit to the left. It may just be the video though. Anyway, the solid axles will wander a bit and will definitely follow the crown in the road more than normal cars would.

Last edited:

Outside Reality Check

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Toyota 4Runner LTD
Occupation
Surgical Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
The play looks fairly normal. It's more common to migrate right due to road crown. What's your tire pressure? Dealers send you off with 42psi which will manifest all kinds of weird steering feel. When / if you add a lift, maybe consider a sector shaft brace, that helps to remove a little slop. Give everything a good look underneath, shake it, pull it, if something doesn't look right or feel right; it might not be right.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
That is not unusual. The linkage from the steering wheel to the actual wheels has a bunch of parts it runs through. Slop is not unusual. I personally prefer some slop. But there's things that can take some of it out. Beefy tie rod, drag link are two.

Sponsored

Calamity JOE

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
Occupation
Busa Boi
I finally picked up my truck yesterday. When I test drove the truck, I noticed that it was pulling left. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said this was normal due to solid axle and that Jeeps wonder a little bit In general.

I was driving back from the dealer (Boise to SF) where I took this video. In the video, you’ll notice 2 things. First that the steering seems fairly loose and in the last part, I let it go and it starts pulling left.
Congrats on your new Jeep! Actually I'm looking at picking my first Jeep up in Boise soon and Driving it back to California too! I wanted to ask you how was the drive home with the "Break-in" period and what not? Sorry for being so off topic from your main post. (First time poster, long time creeper)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a new one, just asking because the 2020 had a different steering box that they replaced with a steel box if you requested but honestly what you got going on looks pretty normal. It all depends on the grade of the road, wind and what kind of tires your running, M/T vs A/T, one will trek different than the other.

Also do a good look over of the steering components, drag link, track bar, tie rod and make sure all good and tight. Check the psi of tires also. Other than those things just enjoy it, it's not a luxury car and it's probably going to drive worse than anything you've ever owned but that's just the beauty of it.

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
don't think I would address it till I had my lift and other components installed. My Mojave does it a bit but varies based on the road i am on..

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is similar. It is affected by Tire Pressure. I like to start mine at 35 cold.
It's definitely not as tight as my TJ but when I get in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway and let my hands off the wheel, it tracks straight.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is similar. It is affected by Tire Pressure. I like to start mine at 35 cold.
It's definitely not as tight as my TJ but when I get in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway and let my hands off the wheel, it tracks straight.
That's about right based on how they grade the roads for run off. Mine does the same thing and so did my JKU. Aggressive tires just makes it that much more noticeable

Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Tires definitely have a play on this. Are they the OEM tires? Above are some good recommendations, i.e. tire pressure. Also do a tire rotation to see if the issue moves.

OP
OP
rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Thank you all for your feedback. I am more concerned about how the truck pulls left while I am on the right lane. That shows in the later part of the video where I let the steering go and it starts pulling left from the right lane. I would expect it to continue to potentially pull right due to grading of the road. I am guessing it's alignment which is ok as I have do the realignment once I put in the lift kit.
The truck is new (2022) so it should have the updated steering box and tire pressure cold was about 37-38 and jumped to 41-42 during the trip. They are OEM tires (Falkens)

johnh442

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, RAM 1500, Chevy SS
Occupation
Computer / Car Geek
As others have mentioned fairly normal, alignment, tire pressure and then IMO a better steering stabilizer (yes, some will say otherwise, but it worked well for me with the Fox ATS to reduce wander and play at highway speeds).

I'll add that with the live front axle the crown of the road also plays a part in the pull, I notice it more in the jeep than my other cars. And add a crosswind...and its even more fun.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
That's about right based on how they grade the roads for run off. Mine does the same thing and so did my JKU. Aggressive tires just makes it that much more noticeable
Exactly
Thats why I don't pay attention to what it does on a 2 lane road. 3 lane or more ensures a test on a level surface vs a crown.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
First that the steering seems fairly loose
The looseness in the steering is the lack of responsiveness to the road. There play you'll want to look out for it the seesawing to keep the vehicle in the lane.
Sponsored