Sponsored

Finally got my Jeep! Day 2 / 250 miles - Is All this Normal?

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not an aerodynamics engineer, but I attribute the wind noise to all the top seams (freedom panels, windshield header, etc.).
Sponsored

OP
OP
mbush91

mbush91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hey, mbush91. Have you had your steering concerns resolved with the dealer yet? If not, send us a private message so we can assist you further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Hey Kate,

Since driving a bit more I have gotten used to the steering somewhat am have come to believe that day was more windy than I originally though. However it's still not as consistent as I'd like. I'm also still seeing some pretty poor mileage (12.2 mpg avg.) But the could be a mixture of the use of the remote start for the cold, the MT tires, and the new engine. I plan on getting it to around 1200 miles before I decide to take it anywhere.

Thanks!

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, all this sounds about right. Just went to 37 12.5 17 on mine and my Mpgs are down to 16.5mpgs with 4.10 gears, that's 2 less than I was getting with the BFG KO2 35's I had installed. As far as wind noise, it's a jeep and they aren't air tight, your going to hear the outside for sure, even more so if you got a soft top. All part of the experience.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hey Kate,

Since driving a bit more I have gotten used to the steering somewhat am have come to believe that day was more windy than I originally though. However it's still not as consistent as I'd like. I'm also still seeing some pretty poor mileage (12.2 mpg avg.) But the could be a mixture of the use of the remote start for the cold, the MT tires, and the new engine. I plan on getting it to around 1200 miles before I decide to take it anywhere.

Thanks!
Sounds good and thanks for letting me know. We're always in private message if need assistance.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
mbush91

mbush91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Thought I'd provide an update. MPGs have been slowly climbing and the road noise has gone down since wearing in the tires a bit. Still not happy with the steering at express-way speeds but it seems to be a common complaint.
Jeep Gladiator Finally got my Jeep! Day 2 / 250 miles - Is All this Normal? PXL_20210310_174743135

Sponsored

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Iā€™m at the exact MPG as you and Iā€™m a little over 500 miles on the dash. I have the same tires as well. I only have a 6 mile drive each way to work and a couple miles to and from the daycare. So its all short drives for me. In a about a month Iā€™ll be taking it on a short road trip and Iā€™m confident my mpgs will go up. The steering isnā€™t as tight as past vehicles but thatā€™s to be expected with the solid axle. I donā€™t feel as I canā€™t control it, can safely cruise on the highway with one hand on the wheel.

cleatus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
computer fixie guy
in case it hasnt been mentioned, look up the TSB on the steering---basically says customers complaining about it being all over road and/or pulling right left
i brought mine in, and they said it was "normal" "thats a jeep for ya"
i said take a look at it anyway.
they called back and are replacing the steering box
known issue

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Mpgs will go up, I'm getting 17.3 on 37's in my Max Tow so you should see a improvement there. As far as the road noise and tire vibration, you better get use to that or swap to a A/T tire, that will help make it better. Wandering is pretty normal as well unless it's tough to steer then you might want to get that checked. M/Ts tend to follow the grooves in the road and also wander a little more than A/Ts do.

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
Thought I'd provide an update. MPGs have been slowly climbing and the road noise has gone down since wearing in the tires a bit. Still not happy with the steering at express-way speeds but it seems to be a common complaint.
I found my tires at 42 from the dealer and set them correctly. I notified the dealer I wanted the TSB performed due to severe wandering. It has made a world of difference. I have the Gladiator Mojave, which has
the knobby off road tires. I don't have a whistling sound, road noise is acceptable. I also installed a Bestop soft top and sound is still acceptable.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81ā€™ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ā€˜18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
What everyone else said.

Unless you are being really hard in the pedal or carrying a bunch of weight, you should be seeing 18+ at the end of a tank.

You can also do a lot for road noise by adding a little insulation to the floor and roof.

If itā€™s a soft top and itā€™s windy, itā€™s normal for it to be fairly noisy depending on what direction the wind is coming from.
True for all Jeepā€™s forever before now too
Sponsored