First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Agree! My JT Diesel should be coming in next week and it’ll last me until Rivian or Nikolai produce an electric that I can take on trips. My guess: 3 years
nice. yeah I’ll be keeping the JT at least until a full electric Jeep is out and tested or maybe forever. Whichever electric truck I pick is a forever vehicle for sure
Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
For me, rather than the diesel, I wish they'd put the 4xe powertrain in the JT -- that hybrid powerplant would be perfect for my use -- electric for quick low-mile jaunts, the gas engine for everything else (long trips, and when I won't be near a charger). I don't really tow much, but prefer the JT over the JL for the utility of having a bed.

Not interested in an electric-ONLY JT. Yep, it will have more tq, but the tradeoffs and tethering for recharging far outweigh the extra HP and speed. The current gas and the 4xe powerplants have MORE than sufficient power for my needs. If I want 0-60 fun, there are much better cars than a Jeep.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
Every single one I've had and have seen others have, has had an oil seepage between the block and head, as well as valve cover leaks and rear and front main leaks. And I wish I had a dollar for every 4.0 owner I've talked to who had the infamous cylinder misfire and NOTHING seemed to cure it. I myself went through that B.S. with a 2000 Grand Cherokee. It had the cracked head issue between #2 and #3 cylinder, but even after I put a new head on it the engine still had the misfire. Replaced every part on that POS and couldn't stop it. Those engines would see 16 MPG on a good day, and being made of cast iron they were heavy and the list of issues with them was a mile long.

There is no way in hell I'd ever trade a rock solid Pentastar 3.6L engine that sips fuel, lasts forever, and screams with power on the top end while keeping a torque curve that's as flat as a Kansas highway for an old, oily, problematic I-6 from 35 years ago. No way. Not me.
people love to wax poetic about the old 4.0, it was a fine engine for it time, that past it’s time....the 3.6 is not perfect but by far the best engine that has been put in a wrangler, we will see how the new V8 wrangler goes, it might take the crown....as for the diesel, I’ve driven it in the wrangler and it’s very nice but it would take me over 200,000 miles to recoup the cost and the reliability is super suspect....I’m glad we have choice, I’m happy it’s an option, it’s just not the option for me.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
If only I could transplant my 3.5ecoboost into my jeeps! Love it in my f150 and hauling *** up the mountain passes at no more than 2100rpm.

The 4.0 lacks so much power after moving to CO a few yrs back from FL that I had to turbo the thing to even make it bearable to drive to/from work. That and it being paired to the fat sluggish pig 4 speed auto.

Had the 3.0 diesel in wife's prior GC and loved it.

Replaced with a GC w/ 3.6 and refuse to drive it if we're going anywhere beyond the first mountain steep incline. This will be replaced next summer/fall with an ecoboost suv.

I want the JTR diesel but something about the crappy payload and not being able to have more than 2 people + 2 dogs in the thing w/ 400lbs of tongue weight doesn't sit right with me. I'm ok with the reduced towing capacity since my camper weighs 3500lbs loaded.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
If only I could transplant my 3.5ecoboost into my jeeps! Love it in my f150 and hauling *** up the mountain passes at no more than 2100rpm.

The 4.0 lacks so much power after moving to CO a few yrs back from FL that I had to turbo the thing to even make it bearable to drive to/from work. That and it being paired to the fat sluggish pig 4 speed auto.

Had the 3.0 diesel in wife's prior GC and loved it.

Replaced with a GC w/ 3.6 and refuse to drive it if we're going anywhere beyond the first mountain steep incline. This will be replaced next summer/fall with an ecoboost suv.

I want the JTR diesel but something about the crappy payload and not being able to have more than 2 people + 2 dogs in the thing w/ 400lbs of tongue weight doesn't sit right with me. I'm ok with the reduced towing capacity since my camper weighs 3500lbs loaded.
payload rating seems to be right in line with the gas JTR

Sponsored

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
is it just me or does anyone else feel less informed by reading that article? I swear there was no relevant information whatsoever in that article that you couldn't have already known from a gas review of the JT.

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
6000lbs towing / 1150lbs payload, and that's only the Rubicon trim... so what ?

Does anyone have noticed the JL 392 w/the half doors ? Half doors that FCA has promised upon the JL launch back in early 2018 ? I want OEM half doors on my future JT

Cpt Adama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler XL
It was reported in articles some time ago, after interviews with FCA engineers, that diesel towing capacity would be hindered by limitations of the cooling system. To get greater towing capacity for the diesel would require a complete redesign of the iconic Jeep front end.
Well that would have given them the perfect opportunity to use the Kaiser 715 Front End which was already done on the concept. That probably would have given them the needed space for the cooling system.

BSchoeppel

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Sorry for the condescending tone. The V6s will tow to their ratings just hate that the engines are designed to have max torque at higher RPMs. The emissions changes have been problematic. I wish the big three would extend the 100k powertrain warranty to include the diesel emissions equipment as well.
The window sticker on my build says 5 year/100k mile powertrain warranty on my Sport S 3.0 EdoDiesel....

Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Correct, Powertrain does not include the EGR/DEF system.
Emissions systems (like EGR/DEF) are also covered under a different warranty: The Federal Emissions Warranty, and it is required by Federal Law.
"The Design and Defect warranty covers repair of emission control or emission related parts which fail to function or function improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship during the vehicle's first 2 years/24,000 miles (8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components)."
Yes, the DEF system is one of the components only covered for 2/24,000.

The state of California has an additional warranty (on top of the Federal Warranty) that covers a lot more emissions parts than the Federal, and for 3, 5, 7, or 8 years, depending on the part. A cursory reading of the CA warranty makes it appear that the DEF is covered for at least 3/50,000, under the "any emissions-related part" wording below:
"Parts And Performance Covered For Three Years Or
50,000 Miles, Whichever Occurs First

California law requires FCA US LLC to warrant that if any emission-related part on your vehicle is defective, FCA US LLC will repair or replace the part. The repair or replacement will be made at no charge to you for diagnosis, parts or labor." (goes on... )

Further reading indicates that the Urea Tank assembly is covered for 7/70,000 under the CA law.

Last edited:

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Emissions systems (like EGR/DEF) are also covered under a different warranty: The Federal Emissions Warranty, and it is required by Federal Law.
"The Design and Defect warranty covers repair of emission control or emission related parts which fail to function or function improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship during the vehicle's first 2 years/24,000 miles (8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components)."
Yes, the DEF system is one of the components only covered for 2/24,000.

The state of California has an additional warranty (on top of the Federal Warranty) that covers a lot more emissions parts than the Federal, and for 3, 5, 7, or 8 years, depending on the part. A cursory reading of the CA warranty makes it appear that the DEF is covered for at least 3/50,000, under the "any emissions-related part" wording below:
"Parts And Performance Covered For Three Years Or
50,000 Miles, Whichever Occurs First

California law requires FCA US LLC to warrant that if any emission-related part on your vehicle is defective, FCA US LLC will repair or replace the part. The repair or replacement will be made at no charge to you for diagnosis, parts or labor." (goes on... )

Further reading indicates that the Urea Tank assembly is covered for 7/70,000 under the CA law.
I would love to know the California coverage. Good to be armed with knowledge if anything does happen, otherwise they'll try to fleece you.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
I would love to know the California coverage. Good to be armed with knowledge if anything does happen, otherwise they'll try to fleece you.
I looked up coverage on the JL 2020 Diesel on the doc attached. I couldn't find the 2021 JT doc yet (that would have diesel info) but the coverage should be the same.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
I looked up coverage on the JL 2020 Diesel on the doc attached. I couldn't find the 2021 JT doc yet (that would have diesel info) but the coverage should be the same.
do you know if that warranty applies to where the Jeep is first registered , where it’s located at the time or where it’s currently registered?
Sponsored