Sponsored

First Oil Change Headache - Defective Filter or Tech Error?

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
IMO, they 'detailed' the engine bay with that shiny crap to hide all the oil they couldn't remove.

Any insulation material under the hood that became contaminated with oil should be replaced.

If the drive belt was contaminated with oil, it should be replaced.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Honestly, if your Gladiator had just been a drop off for service and pick up later situation, they would have probably cleaned it anyways, fixed the o-ring issue and you would have been none the wiser.

Shit happens and while any fluid leak can be an ordeal, it is not a "I won the lottery" event to demand anything other than for them to return it back to the same condition as you brought it in minus what you brought it in for.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I think OP should be fine in this situation. My only suggestion for the future is to make sure you document EVERYTHING you can when you take your vehicle in for service. By that I mean:

1. Take complete cellphone photos of your vehicle at drop off documenting mileage, all 4 wheels (one of the most commonly damaged parts), both exterior sides, interior, frontend, rearend, and engine compartment.

2. Get paper copies of everything you can. If they don't want to provide a copy, take a photo of the document they are asking you to sign.

3. Get the name of everyone you talk to.

3. Take the same photos of any rental vehicle, as well as any rental agreement they give you to sign (they do not always hand you the full document after its copied).

4. Take the same photos of the rental vehicle upon return showing no damage. And, have them mark your documents by hand showing no damage. Do not rely on an emailed copy.

I know it sounds crazy, but having taken photos of one of my vehicles at the dealership when I took it in for service proved THEY damaged it when they went to give it back. I pointed the damage out to them and they balked saying it was like that... until I showed them my photos from that morning when I arrived in their lot. They then cut me a check after I got an estimate.

And, on my Jeep that was totaled at the dealership last year, taking photos of my truck and their paperwork (they didn't know I had taken) showed the BS claims the dealer made weren't true (after I sued them and they filed their answer to the Court). But, I had photos of EVERYTHING. They didn't know that I had them though. SURPRISE! :giggle: :LOL::like:

Tsblue83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Grand Cherokee, ā€˜51cj3a
Occupation
Sales
So I realize this is a dead thread but itā€™s relevant to my issue and Iā€™m curious what y'all think I should do. I dropped my truck at the dealer for an oil change. As I was driving home I noticed a burning smell and figured they spilled some oil. So I popped the hood when I got home and saw the entire oil filter was drenched and oil was pooled all around it. While Iā€™m looking there my wife pointed out it was draining oil all over the driveway. I looked underneath and my entire undercarriage is covered in oil. It was running down the frame and dripped all over my driveway. I called the dealer and they told me to have it towed back to them. Besides them having to fix the mistake and clean my engine and truck I plan on having them cover the cost of the tow and inspect the engine to make sure it didnā€™t cause any damage on my drive home. The dip stick barely had anything on it so Iā€™m assuming I have little to no oil left in the truck. Anything else I should hold them accountable for or request of them? I have the mopar extended warranty but Iā€™m worried about unseen damage from my drive home. Should I reach out to @JeepCares or do anything besides bringing it back to the dealer?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So I realize this is a dead thread but itā€™s relevant to my issue and Iā€™m curious what y'all think I should do. I dropped my truck at the dealer for an oil change. As I was driving home I noticed a burning smell and figured they spilled some oil. So I popped the hood when I got home and saw the entire oil filter was drenched and oil was pooled all around it. While Iā€™m looking there my wife pointed out it was draining oil all over the driveway. I looked underneath and my entire undercarriage is covered in oil. It was running down the frame and dripped all over my driveway. I called the dealer and they told me to have it towed back to them. Besides them having to fix the mistake and clean my engine and truck I plan on having them cover the cost of the tow and inspect the engine to make sure it didnā€™t cause any damage on my drive home. The dip stick barely had anything on it so Iā€™m assuming I have little to no oil left in the truck. Anything else I should hold them accountable for or request of them? I have the mopar extended warranty but Iā€™m worried about unseen damage from my drive home. Should I reach out to @JeepCares or do anything besides bringing it back to the dealer?
There is not really much extra you can expect out of them other than to clean it up and correctly redo your oil change.

As to unseen damage, best you can do is monitor it going forward and just hold them to any issues that may arise if at all. While not ideal, if you never got a oil pressure warning, some minimum pressure was maintained and probably really did no lasting damaging. To go any deeper would probably mean a engine teardown and they are not going to go down that road with no further symptoms.

One thing I would recommend and you will probably get pushback from the dealer, is that they need to document on the repair order what happened. Do not let them just clean it up, redo the oil change and hand it back with no document trail.

Sponsored

Tsblue83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Grand Cherokee, ā€˜51cj3a
Occupation
Sales
Cool. Iā€™ll be sure to have them document that then. I get that it happens and mistakes arenā€™t the end of the world but if something does turn out to have been damaged due to their mistake they should be responsible for it shouldnā€™t they?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I get that it happens and mistakes arenā€™t the end of the world but if something does turn out to have been damaged due to their mistake they should be responsible for it shouldnā€™t they?
In a perfect world yes. The issue though is the longer down the road if something was to happen that was possibly oil related, the less one can definitively point to that as a root cause.
Sponsored