Sponsored

First Oil Change Headache - Defective Filter or Tech Error?

koldfront_xj

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave JT; 1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited
Took my ‘22 Mojave 6MT in for its first oil change this morning (about 6,500 miles). The tech stalled the Jeep while pulling it into the garage, but I figured no big deal, every clutch is different, no need to make a fuss.
Fast forward an hour, my Jeep is back on the ground, so I walk to the outdoor waiting area because I’m curious if they’re going to stall it again reversing out. I walk outside to hear several techs frantically waving and yelling, “stop it, stop it, kill it!” and scrambling around. Then one of them walks out of the garage saying under his breath, “someone forgot to tighten the oil filter.”
I’m watching this happen as they scramble for rags and towels to soak up the oil on the ground. The service manager comes out and tells me that the o-ring on the new filter was bad, which is different than the tech not tightening the oil filter.
Long story short, there is oil all over the engine bay, down the exhaust, all over the transmission and transfer case, and probably inside the alternator and anything else nearby.
They gave me a loaner for the day so they could take the time to properly clean everything.
I’m expecting a call this afternoon to come pick up my Jeep, and I told the GM and Service Manager to document every detail, down to the tech’s names who worked on it. They’re going to have it up on the lift when I go back so I can be sure everything looks okay before I drive it home.
My concerns are:
1. Should I be worried about oil getting into/on anything?
2. They say they can clean it, but how well will they be able to remove all of that oil from everything?
3. What should I be looking for when I go back to pick up my Jeep?
4. Assuming they documented everything, should I have any concerns about future warranty work?

EC72583E-66F9-4FF1-9619-75E65FF6E527.jpeg

60757F2F-CA46-4552-BFDB-257C027CD16B.jpeg

D1C60661-8047-4026-B746-3D04832F972F.jpeg

DDFA69BD-1E96-41CF-926A-9E96A007B7B2.jpeg
Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Well that sucks. Most likely they will spray everything down with break clean or engine degreaser, and hose it off, and use a rag for any little bits not removed. I used to be a tech back in the day and people did this all day long with more major engine repairs - sometimes fluids going everywhere when tearing down an engine just can't be helped - not that it is an excuse for your situation. But its also not feasible to completely wipe down every single surface.

My .02 on your concerns
1. Should I be worried about oil getting into/on anything? No - as long as they do clean everything I wouldn't worry. Maybe the alternator....but so long as they document it. You also have pictures already so if something does fail you can prove that it was the shop's mistake.
2. They say they can clean it, but how well will they be able to remove all of that oil from everything? they probably will do a decent job, but it will of course have some type of residue in places. Simple reality is unless the engine comes out and they spend a week cleaning there will be oil in places they can't get to. I would not be overly concerned about that. But make sure any hose/plastic is cleaned though. It will be good to know if they hosed it down. Thats usually how most places do it. it is not optimal due to all the electronics, but most electronics deal with rain on the road 6 months of the year anyway, so it should be 'ok'. Unless they use a pressure washer and just jet the crap out of it and concentrate on connectors, I would not be overly concerned. Also - again, it is documented
3. What should I be looking for when I go back to pick up my Jeep? Do a good look over and see how you feel about the situation. if you see water puddled in the engine compartment any, take pictures. if you see oil not cleaned up, take pictures. make sure to check the underside as well and get that cleaned up because it will help to avoid a future 'leak' diagnosis. Old oil films can be thought of as a 'new' leak and vic. versa. Also go for a nice drive of varying conditions right away so that if a code or drivability issue pops up you can bring it right back. GET A PAPER COPY OF EVERYTHING THEY DOCUMENTED - do not settle for assuming their documentation is digital.
4. Assuming they documented everything, should I have any concerns about future warranty work? Well if your rig is in the warranty window, most likely they will claim any future problems to this even has warranty. Fact of the matter is it is their screw up. So for example if you are OUTSIDE your warranty window and the alternator takes a crap, it will be a fight to get them to pay for it because it was their mistake. But in all reality its 50/50 if it was the oil or some other cause for the alternator to fail. if you are inside your warranty window, they will likely 'warranty' repair the alternator of this example because then the parts are covered, and the tech still gets paid (warranty work sucks and pays total garbage even for master tech's). Fact of the matter is, it sucks... and hopefully there will be no future issues due to their mistake. I have made mistakes in the past, big ones... every tech does - but I always paid for my own mistake by either fixing the problem for free (techs are usually paid on a 'flat rate' system), or the shop covered the cost and did not charge the customer.

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
I would push them for a significant warranty extension. I think they'll do a "decent" job of cleaning up.....but anywhere there is any sort of residual oil will be collector for dirt and dust going forward. Who knows what that may cause.

OP
OP
koldfront_xj

koldfront_xj

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for your reply, Chorky! I really appreciate your input and suggestions!

I was pretty pissed; I picked up the Gladiator from Gupton back in June (ordered in March) and just made my 2nd payment, I’m well within the warranty window. Sure does suck.

I guess the most important things at this point are to make sure everything is documented, that I have paper copies, and to double check hoses and connectors. I’ll take it for a good drive up the highway and back to be sure no lights come on before I head home.

I hate to blame the tech, and feel bad doing so, but if he didn’t tighten the oil filter……..

I just want them to make it right. I spent years planning and saving, built it exactly how I wanted, and have only made 2 payments so far. I plan to keep this Jeep “forever,” and I’m gonna be pretty upset if there are any issues due to this, whether in the short term or the long term.

On the plus side, the GM gave me a free hat 😂. And my loaner is an automatic Rubi, so I get a nice side-by-side comparison to my 6MT Mojave.

58AABEF3-EE1B-4AD7-8686-10B31CF8EA27.jpeg

OP
OP
koldfront_xj

koldfront_xj

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would push them for a significant warranty extension. I think they'll do a "decent" job of cleaning up.....but anywhere there is any sort of residual oil will be collector for dirt and dust going forward. Who knows what that may cause.
Great idea! Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely be doing this.

Sponsored

Tedster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota MR2, 2022 JTM
Occupation
USAF Retired
Thats why I don’t take any of my vehicles to ANYONE for oil changes. I’ll forfeit the four Jeep Wave freebies. Already did my first change and installed a Fumoto valve to make the future ones easier. The original O-ring looked fine but replaced it anyway as one should. Sorry about your troubles. I feel your pain. Hopefully, it will be good as new when you get it back.

dos0711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Thats why I don’t take any of my vehicles to ANYONE for oil changes. I’ll forfeit the four Jeep Wave freebies. Already did my first change and installed a Fumoto valve to make the future ones easier. The original O-ring looked fine but replaced it anyway as one should. Sorry about your troubles. I feel your pain. Hopefully, it will be good as new when you get it back.
I'm the same way. My Jeep won't grace the dealership for an oil change. I'm not convinced they don't over torque the cap for the oil filter which could lead to trouble down the road.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
sorry you had this experience. sounds like you are documenting it all in case need be.
yeah, this is why I change my own oil ... never used the free oil changes.
keep us posted

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Thanks so much for your reply, Chorky! I really appreciate your input and suggestions!

I was pretty pissed; I picked up the Gladiator from Gupton back in June (ordered in March) and just made my 2nd payment, I’m well within the warranty window. Sure does suck.

I guess the most important things at this point are to make sure everything is documented, that I have paper copies, and to double check hoses and connectors. I’ll take it for a good drive up the highway and back to be sure no lights come on before I head home.

I hate to blame the tech, and feel bad doing so, but if he didn’t tighten the oil filter……..

I just want them to make it right. I spent years planning and saving, built it exactly how I wanted, and have only made 2 payments so far. I plan to keep this Jeep “forever,” and I’m gonna be pretty upset if there are any issues due to this, whether in the short term or the long term.

On the plus side, the GM gave me a free hat 😂. And my loaner is an automatic Rubi, so I get a nice side-by-side comparison to my 6MT Mojave.

Jeep Gladiator First Oil Change Headache - Defective Filter or Tech Error? 58AABEF3-EE1B-4AD7-8686-10B31CF8EA27
Yeah I mean...accidents happen. But that does not mean the dealer gets a free pass. They of course have an obligation (if they are any bit respectable) to make it right. Legally they don't have to though. I know what you mean about research and saving - I am in the same boat and have issues with my own jeep. I would also suggest you PRINT out each page of this particular web discussion as an additional source of documentation. it might not hold any weight, but it for sure can't hurt.

All that being said, I doubt that the situation you experienced will really ever cause any future problems. Even if it caused a low oil pressure, a couple seconds isn't bad, but its not the end of the world. Heck when I start mine from a cold start in cold weather, its about 3-4 seconds until oil pressure is up anyway. So I wouldn't be overly concerned about something like your engine blowing up. Vehicles in general live in a very harsh environment as it is, so a little oil spillage (compared to toxic and highly corrosive chemicals placed on roads everywhere) is not much to worry about. My biggest worry would be if they used a pressure washer.

Yeah but I have known several dealers to not allow a warranty claim because there was no 'official' record of oil changes. I know this is a big topic of contention...and there are laws about such things, but still..... IF something bad ever did happen, no doubt it would be a road block to navigate. Not saying I disagree with competencies, but something to be thinking of.

OP
OP
koldfront_xj

koldfront_xj

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for your replies and well wishes. I just picked up the Jeep from the dealer. They called around 4 to say it was ready, and I had left there around 11:30 this morning with the loaner. So about 4 1/2 hours to clean and test drive (got there at 10). I have to say, they did a phenomenal job cleaning the entire engine bay and undercarriage. They also detailed the engine bay, and I couldn’t find oil anywhere except maybe a tiny bit of residue on top of the drive shaft.

They all seemed genuinely apologetic and it seems like they did their best to make it right. Of course they want me to have that impression, but overall I’m satisfied with the outcome. I have the printed service receipt which documents, in writing, that the oil filter failed and caused a leak during the oil change. It includes the tech’s names and additional notes (replaced o-ring, cleaned oil).

I had also heard about warranty work not being covered if the oil changes/maintenance was not done at a dealer, so that’s the main reason I went in for the Jeep Wave service. I typically do my own oil changes outside of warranty.

At this point, I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed that no issues come from this. But if anything does, the dealer knows that I’m coming to them with the expectation that they make it right.

Here are some pictures from when I picked it up. Everything’s wet because it had just rained right before I got there. Let me know if you see anything I didn’t. Engine sounds good, and I don’t hear any ticking or knocking.

Thanks again for all of your support!

99E6BFF2-5DD1-4E35-B963-D6D22B8E20B8.jpeg

209C1C5F-5FCE-47D3-93FA-9357137CD35E.jpeg

75DDA8C1-19EE-49D1-A52D-959554F2697E.jpeg

2213FC14-0B3D-4F0E-B19E-DAAA57859CC5.jpeg

Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Thanks for sharing your story. I am thankful that I change my oil and document such events. Keeping records is key when doing it yourself. Now that you had an issue with what they said was a loose filter cap or bad oring, I would assume you would keep the same dealer doing the rest of your oil changes. If some thing does come up due to lack of oil pressure, it would keep them in spot light. If the oring was left off or loose, it's hard to say what the oil pressure was and if any bearings were starved of oil. I would at least do a couple of oil samples in the near future.

I doubt you will see any trouble, but I'd hate to see you suffer for someone else's mistake.

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I learned long ago that if you do it yourself, you are more likely to do it right. The service techs they are hiring nowadays are totally clueless (I realize there are really good techs out there as well - but i've come accross cases of lazy and just plain stupidity - so i stopped taking my vehicles in for service). I literally had the Ford dealer not replace the oil filter on my past trucks (even after letting them know MULTIPLE TIMES). For the past 3 years or so I've been doing everything myself.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Looks good to me. Oil isn't much of an issue. Especially fresh oil. Easily removed with degreaser and water.

I bet the tech forgot to put the o-ring on the filter cap after removing the old one.
Sponsored