First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland 2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Occupation
Professionally unemployed
I change out the oil at 1k. I will change it every 5k now. Not sure why someone would $50k for a vehicle and worry about a $25 oil service.
Plus I dont understand what Jesus Christ has to do with it.
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I change out the oil at 1k. I will change it every 5k now. Not sure why someone would $50k for a vehicle and worry about a $25 oil service.
Plus I dont understand what Jesus Christ has to do with it.

Jesus only runs Amsoil ... I think I saw that in their marketing once ...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Jesus only runs Amsoil ... I think I saw that in their marketing once ...
Kind of. The marketing was that Amsoil was made from the tears of Jesus, hence the steep pricing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I went a little longer than I like on first oil change about 7500 miles then almost 9000 on second. I'm about to go drive around a little to get oil hot to pull a sample for testing oil meter is around 59% life now. I'm on track to use all 4 oil change with in 18 -20 months :( of ownership. But at least I'm down from 5 changes a year.:like: on LJ.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I was reading the manual and the only thing I could find about oil changes is not to exceed 10k miles. So I'll do my first around 5k then after that I'll just go every 7k.

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
This thread is a waste of oil.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I'm on my third 3.6-equipped Jeep now (2013, 2015, 2020). I had my oil changed at the indicated interval and did oil tests with Blackstone labs several times. They always said the oil was fine and could have gone a little bit longer. So the scientific evidence says that changing the oil at 5k is a total waste.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on my third 3.6-equipped Jeep now (2013, 2015, 2020). I had my oil changed at the indicated interval and did oil tests with Blackstone labs several times. They always said the oil was fine and could have gone a little bit longer. So the scientific evidence says that changing the oil at 5k is a total waste.
TOTALLY depends on driving situations, load, driver habits, climate, etc. In YOUR case it was, but someone with weather constantly changing, higher humidity, short drives or pulling heavy loads - not a waste.
There's no set "rule". Like mpg, oil life WILL vary. And, it can vary with the engine.
You wouldn't believe the variations I've seen INSIDE of engines having worked on/in them for decades. I've seen cases where 3500 miles was max because of short drives.
For you and your conditions and driving habits - a waste, yes. For others - meh, maybe, maybe not.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
That's exactly what the computer does; calculate the driving conditions. One of my tests was done after spending a lot of time in the dust bowl around Salton Sea, CA, and wheeling at least one weekend a month; no issues, no significant oil pollution. I've done oil tests on various vehicles over decades; boats, stationary engines, Jeeps, etc. The recommended intervals always end up being shorter than the tests indicate is necessary.

I've worked on engines for 40 years. They almost never fail due to oil issues.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I did my first oil change at only about 2500 miles. I realize the manufacturer doesn't call for the first change early but I do that with all my vehicles. The idea is that you'll get more metal shavings and debris in the oil during the early miles and it's good to get that stuff out of there. Now I've gone to every 5K.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's exactly what the computer does; calculate the driving conditions. One of my tests was done after spending a lot of time in the dust bowl around Salton Sea, CA, and wheeling at least one weekend a month; no issues, no significant oil pollution. I've done oil tests on various vehicles over decades; boats, stationary engines, Jeeps, etc. The recommended intervals always end up being shorter than the tests indicate is necessary.

I've worked on engines for 40 years. They almost never fail due to oil issues.
I've never had an oil related failure either - anything I've done was always due to miles and wear and tear. I've had timing chains go at 80-120,000. I took one to 160,000 miles, all original, including timing chain, all of it. The first time the engine was opened was at 160,000 miles (I wasn't the first owner, it was an abused car)
I took my FIRST car to 220,000 miles. I bought it with 150,000 miles, all original, sold it at 220,000 miles.
Sold my second car to my little brother at 120,000 miles. I put a timing chain in it because it was "about time" - it was still servicable, but I had the time, money and was doing other things at the same time. Regular oil changes - it was pristine inside.
Keep the air filters decent, oil change intervals reasonable, with injected engines, you won't have cylinder wash-down like you used to have, contamination of oil is much less without combustion byproducts in the crankcase.

I refuse to rely totally on that computer - it has no clue what the air filter is like, what the AIR is like (farm country, it's crazy here at times!) it only knows speeds, loads, and temperatures. It can get close - but I temper what the computer says with experience.

Stationary engines? Oh, like this....... ;)

Jeep Gladiator First oil change chap7_1

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
If you don't keep your air filter clean, then all other maintenance is a crap-shoot. If you do the proper maintenance, the computer will know what should be done. I live in AZ and play in a dust bowl, the Blackstone guys are surprised at the low silica, but the evidence is what it is.

but I temper what the computer says with experience.
Well, and that's what I'm saying. Oil tests prove that spending days and days in a dust bowl wheeling didn't make the situation worse.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't keep your air filter clean, then all other maintenance is a crap-shoot. If you do the proper maintenance, the computer will know what should be done. I live in AZ and play in a dust bowl, the Blackstone guys are surprised at the low silica, but the evidence is what it is.

Well, and that's what I'm saying. Oil tests prove that spending days and days in a dust bowl wheeling didn't make the situation worse.
I was visiting a friend who has a shop in the area I believe is NW of Phoenix - like a suburb (but I got turned around there as no roads go straight - danged mountains get in the way)
We were standing in the lot in front of his shop talking and working on setting cam timing on a performance engine and his paint guy had a car on a stand just outside of the paint booth, in front of the paint booth - suddenly Dan says "everything in, everything in!" and we shoved cars in, moved everything in, as the sky turned dark - it was a huge dust storm. Man, it was awesome and something to take seriously all at the same time.
Yeah, I know where you are - dust bowl, no kidding!
Right on the air filter - it starts there.
Sponsored