Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
  • Banned
5400 miles. Harmonic balancer cover is wet. So is the head, compressor, and it's dripping to the oil pan. Spotting the driveway also. Sigh... here we go.

20200726_112844.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
A few more..

20200726_110459.jpg

20200726_110437.jpg

20200726_110406.jpg

20200726_110334.jpg

20200726_110320.jpg

Deleted member 24880

Mine was the rear main seal. Hopefully they will get yours fixed quickly for you.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Gen 3 EcoDiesel is gonna be a typical Italian engine is my guess. Headed to the dealer tomorrow.

Sponsored

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I an a bit confused. There are no EcoDiesel JTs yet. Is this an EcoDiesel JL or a 3.6. JT?

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
I an a bit confused. There are no EcoDiesel JTs yet. Is this an EcoDiesel JL or a 3.6. JT?
Same diesel engine that's currently orderable on the JT (but hasn't shipped in JT yet) so I am just posting to sort of be informative on what to expect with this engine in a FCA pickup.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Well that sux.... My Gen 2 looks like (no drips) that but I expect it at 120K miles

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They're saying it's the timing cover. 5 days to get the parts, then 1-2 days of labor. Have to remove a lot of engine components including fuel lines, injectors, etc. Nothing like having a brand new engine taken apart! Wee!! That's what we all expect when we drop $5k just to upgrade to a particular engine option.

If mine was the only one we'd just call it a fluke. Apparently the Gen 2s did this commonly and there are a handful of Gen 3s on forums with the issue, as well as at least one Gen 3 that totally blew up.

Good news is, 100k warranty!

Sponsored

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
They're saying it's the timing cover. 5 days to get the parts, then 1-2 days of labor. Have to remove a lot of engine components including fuel lines, injectors, etc. Nothing like having a brand new engine taken apart! Wee!! That's what we all expect when we drop $5k just to upgrade to a particular engine option.

If mine was the only one we'd just call it a fluke. Apparently the Gen 2s did this commonly and there are a handful of Gen 3s on forums with the issue, as well as at least one Gen 3 that totally blew up.

Good news is, 100k warranty!
I am sorry you are having to deal with this. My experience with most "things" is that if they are going to break, they either break very early or generally after things start to wear out. Electronic items more so than mechanical. Electronics generally die quickly or never at all.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So just to update on my particular issue.. Next week will be week 3 without my truck. The dealership has an EcoDiesel mechanic but he's already working on another one. So they have my parts but can't start on it until next week. Then, 2-3 days of labor. It's ridiculous.

If this was out of warranty, I'd be looking at thousands of dollars to repair. This truck has already let me down. Should have kept my Gladiator. It was rock solid.

Next week I'm going to request some assistance from FCA since I'm making big monthly payments on something I can't even drive.

azeeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Did they tell you it is not driveable while you are waiting?

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I discussed the 3.0 with a retired FCA guy who knows a lot about the reliability and history of it. He recommended waiting at least a year after the 3.0 Glad comes out to give FCA time to work out the issues. Now we see that the payload will be negatively affected by the weight of the diesel, and the towing capacity won't be better. It must be a platform limitation; after all, it is basically a 1/4 ton truck.

The Ram is a better towing platform, but then the Cummins becomes the engine of choice, imo. The Ram Turbo Diesel became legendary and the 1500 seeks to capitalize on that reputation in a lighter-duty package. The Cummins is a medium duty engine, with a life expectancy of 300,000 to 3450,000 miles before getting freshened up. So far, the 3.0 Liter has not matched that reputation. I supplemented my Cummins Ram 3500 with my Glad, and I am happy with the trouble-free 3.6 gasser. I guess it tows as much as the platform allows, although at high altitude the little naturally-aspirated gasser will be minimal for a heavy trailer.
I think the added 375-400 lb. weight of the 3.0L isn't so good in a trail-worthy Jeep, although the Ram takes the weight well with its 1/2 ton suspension. The 3500 is great for towing and payload (about 4000 lb) but with a 6.5' bed, it would be space limited anyway), but stiff in suspension and bulky for trails.

It is unfortunate that your introduction to the 3.0L diesel has not been as nice as we all hoped. Hopefully, yours will be good after this warranty issue is resolved.
Sponsored