First problem - Oil leak

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
So just to update on my particular issue.. Next week will be week 3 without my truck. The dealership has an EcoDiesel mechanic but he's already working on another one. So they have my parts but can't start on it until next week. Then, 2-3 days of labor. It's ridiculous.

If this was out of warranty, I'd be looking at thousands of dollars to repair. This truck has already let me down. Should have kept my Gladiator. It was rock solid.

Next week I'm going to request some assistance from FCA since I'm making big monthly payments on something I can't even drive.
Wish you luck of course but I doubt you will get far with that request.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wish you luck of course but I doubt you will get far with that request.
They did it for me with the Wrangler JL when the ESS system died and it was in the shop for 2 weeks. They also did it for my buddy when his Ram 1500 had a water leak that the dealer couldn't find after keeping the truck a few weeks. On August 27, my EcoDiesel will be a "lemon" under KY law. Typically FCA doesn't mind throwing an owner a bone if it helps to prevent a buy-back. We'll see....

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
She's home! Running good and dry so far, but solidified in my mind that I don't want this in my driveway long term. Injector rusted to the head and timing cover spitting oil at 5,500 miles? C'mon man...

20200812_120828[1].jpg

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
yep, I think I'll keep my 3.6L Glad. I wish they offered a 4.6L instead of just planning on the 5.7L V8 for those wanting more than the little 3.6. Overall, the 3.0L diesel has not been anything like a Cummins in reliability or longevity. Additionally, a lot of the attraction to the Cummins 30 years ago was the power plus mileage with cheap fuel. The EPA has fixed those things for us.:mad::devil:

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
She's home! Running good and dry so far, but solidified in my mind that I don't want this in my driveway long term. Injector rusted to the head and timing cover spitting oil at 5,500 miles? C'mon man...

Jeep Gladiator First problem - Oil leak 20200812_120828[1]
"Machining mark on lower corner" Sounds like a QC problem on the cover. Hopefully that does not become a widespread issue. Good to know about the injectors, might need to do a little preventative maintenance on delivery and apply some anti-seize on the threads.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I ordered my JT back in May and supposedly it is available for me to pick up this Tues. Anyway, I was kicking myself for the last 3 months wishing I had just waited and ordered a diesel JT....but after reading about reliability issues with the Italian diesel I think I'm happy to have the anemic 3.6 gasser.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The 36 with 8 speed auto is quite responsive. I don't see where the 3.0 diesel will bring much to the table. Towing and hauling capacities are platform limited. 400 lb. more on the front end while bouncing on trails doesn't seem like a great idea.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A guy with a JL EcoDiesel posted today on the JL side that he's got the same problem at just past 3,000 miles and they're telling him two weeks for parts also.

This might end up being widespread with the early batch of Gen 3s.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So...clutch plate, trailer brake controller availability, diesel engine problems, HVAC issues, what else they got going on at FCA.

Still think it is an outstanding truck, relatively speaking

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
From my perspective, #1 has been fixed by South Bend Clutch, and #2 doesn't matter since I got a Curt controller and harness for under $50.

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
A guy with a JL EcoDiesel posted today on the JL side that he's got the same problem at just past 3,000 miles and they're telling him two weeks for parts also.

This might end up being widespread with the early batch of Gen 3s.
To offset all the only negative stuff being brought out on the forums generally, I will chime in with my info. I have a JLUR with the 3.0 in it with 6200 miles and have not had any of these problems that are being said to be widespread. I have a JTR with the 3.0 on order and am not worried in the least about it having problems. Even the “bullet proof” Toyotas have some with sporadic problems. These things are mechanical and there are going to be some batches of them with issues, doesn’t mean they all will and that you need to shy away from it because a small percentage of people will have a problem. If you want a diesel then get a diesel, chances are it will be just fine.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Anyone else mention seized injector problems?
He didn't mention it, but there are now several different cases of this particular issue on the forums and owners groups. One guy said his was diagnosed as a "head gasket leak" and they're going to pull his cab to make access to work, but I'm betting his is really the timing cover issue. It appears very similar to a head leak but isn't. We'll see...

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And...another fully blown engine. This makes three now that I've seen on forums and owners groups this year. I'd rather have oil leaks than grenading bearings.

ScreenHunter_112 Oct. 15 11.16.jpg
Sponsored