Oil Leak @ < 1200 Miles

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
Happened to crawl under the truck installing some wiring and discovered oil at the junction of what appears to be the engine/transmission. No oil on the ground, but truck doesn't even have 1200 miles....

Jeep Gladiator Oil Leak @ < 1200 Miles IMG_1463

Dropped off at the dealer for an 815am appointment, get a text from service manager at 430pm: "would it be alright if we keep the truck overnight, we haven't had a chance to look at it yet" -- not happy.

Will post an update once I get one.

I've got a big camping trip planned early next week, hoping this doesn't put a damper on my plans.
Sponsored

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Hopefully it's something simple like a gasket. Reading this diesel forum daily isn't giving me any high hopes for mine that should arrive next month...

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Say Jeep builds 10,000 diesels a year. .05% of them have a issue. That’s 500 trucks and everyone will post about it. What about the other 9500 with no issues. It’s a man made object and will have problems. It’s why they give you a warranty

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
Say Jeep builds 10,000 diesels a year. .05% of them have a issue. That’s 500 trucks and everyone will post about it. What about the other 9500 with no issues. It’s a man made object and will have problems. It’s why they give you a warranty
You need to work on your math bud. 0.05% is 5. If there were 5%, that's 500, and that's a pretty terrible failure rate. If the electrician installing light switches in your house messed up 5% of them, your house would've burned down.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Sorry put a extra zeroi meant 1/2% or .5% , that why we have an electrical code and electrical boxes. almost every new vehicle I’ve purchased has had a problem. New corvette, leaking roof, evo rattling Interior panels, jk wiring and the list continues

Sponsored

HighNoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Hopefully it's something simple like a gasket. Reading this diesel forum daily isn't giving me any high hopes for mine that should arrive next month...
I have a diesel and am satisfied with it. There is no way I would go with a gas one. I don’t like the way they gear hunt for me. All the American truck manufacturers I think have been buying diesel fuel pumps from a German company and have had their share of the same problems. I could go over a list of issues I have had with all of them but it would be boring. Enjoy your diesel and buy good fuel because a lot of problems start there.

OP
OP
jnack

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
just heard back from the dealership -- they say the leak is too small for them to even tell where it's coming from. they put some dye in the oil and they said just drive it unless it's leaking on the floor and they'll try to shine black light on first oil change to find leak

lanceoa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23JTRD. Former stable: 93YJ, 2012JKU
Occupation
Civ Engr
Any follow up? I’m actively searching for an Eco-Diesel in my pref color and config. Thx

lanceoa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23JTRD. Former stable: 93YJ, 2012JKU
Occupation
Civ Engr
Never had any issues

never had any issues after that. Did first oil change at about 8k miles and has been holding since then
That’s great! After test driving the diesel, I can’t go back to the pentastar

Sponsored

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I have the exact same oil leak or showing....wiped it off after found with 5k on the clock. Thought that maybe it was oil used to lube the crank rear main seal during assembly. Didn't take off the cover that Im assuming goes to the converter bolts. Was up on the ramps a few days ago changing the fuel filter, 12k miles, and there it was again, exact same amount and same place. It wasn't much, and I deemed it not to worry about. I still didn't take that cover off, but may do it this coming wkend. Im hoping theres not a shit pot load of oil behind there when I pull the plate.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Mine had the same thing. It never dripped. Dried up. Cleaned it off never came back. Thinking a little extra assembly lube.
18k plus miles now.

Hope yours is the same.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had the same thing. It never dripped. Dried up. Cleaned it off never came back. Thinking a little extra assembly lube.
18k plus miles now.

Hope yours is the same.
I have a feeling it's the protectant or rust preventative that's put on some parts like used to be put on flywheels, flex plates, torque converters and so on.
I pulled apart a Jeep years ago that had the stuff sprayed out from the center of the flex plate in some really neat patterns.

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
I had some oil in the same place not long after I got it.
I think ShadowsPapa right.
I wiped it off and kept an eye on it. Nothing more.

I have just under 10k on mine and its been great.
Truly fun to drive and unbelievably good mileage - I get 29.2 mpg on long hauls empty, 22 towing a 4500lb trailer. Never revs over 2400rpm. Nothing like the diesel.
It's in the garage most of the time though as its not enough of a truck for the larger trailer we want.
I love it but its got to go :-(

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Mine showed in the same place as well, I thought timing cover. They found it to be the filter housing. Parts a month out. I can drive it till then just keeping a eye on the level.
Sponsored