Sponsored

First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
@TommyTFL, thank you for sharing! Real world towing is important to many on here. Me, not so much.

Next video of the JT, give a nod to the forum and haul some plywood, I bet your YouTube subscribers will JUMP by like 9. Kinda like the JT real world towing mpg, hey I'm just being real.

Thanks again, love your channel!
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
So I've been on the fence about getting a travel trailer, or going full overland with a roof top tent.

This pushes me away from a travel trailer. I'm looking forward to seeing the full videos.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I was at the NY Auto show yesterday, the fuel door is spring loaded. Just push on it, and it pops open.
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I forgot to comment on that. It's spring loaded, and I don't think it locks with the locks of the vehicle. That I could not confirm.

Sponsored

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Tj
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I forgot to comment on that. It's spring loaded, and I don't think it locks with the locks of the vehicle. That I could not confirm.
Thanks! Glad to be here. There was a lock on the gas cap, looks similar to what is aftermarket for the wrangler.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
This is fantastic information, and further drives my resolve to wait for the Ecodiesel.

Edit: Still NFW I would ever tow 7000lbs with this truck.

Last edited:

Roddy13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm not surprised it cant tow 7000 lbs... none of these mid size trucks can tow that much confidently.

The tow ratings sell trucks and its just a huge pissing contest.

Most mid size trucks will struggle hard at 5,000lbs ..... Doesnt matter who it is, Colorado, Canyon, Tacoma.. all with smaller V6 engines are better suited to tow 2800-3500lbs. It will be the same with the gladiator.

SCJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1952 M38, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2015 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I look forward to the video but this was my fear for the Gladiator. I think if you are using the truck for easy recreational towing i.e. just towing the boat to the ramp it is probably fine. But if you need to tow anything heavy long distance it is just not going to cut it. Heck if you are going to be towing 7000 lbs you need to get a full size truck. I currently tow my boat which is a 21' bowrider that weighs about 3500lbs empty ( I estimate that with trailer, fuel, toys, coolers, etc I am pushing 5k) regularly on several long trips with a 2015 F150 5.0. I can't imagine having any less power to tow this combination. My F150 gets ~14 mpg pulling my boat on the highway at 70 mph. While I want a Gladiator I think this just confirms that for my purpose I should keep my current truck and just buy a Jeep as a recreational vehicle.

Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
Just curious, did you turn on the off-road pages and monitor the transmission temp pulling that load uphill? If so how hot did the trans oil get?