Sponsored

Front hitch receiver

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Thanks....I'm fine with the way it has come out so far....just want to get the rear of the skid plate bolted up dead nuts this weekend, assuming the dreaded coronavirus doesn't get me between now and then....:fingerscrossed: When I do so, I'll try to get some better shots, and measure up the cuts in the skid plate. It was definitely not a dremel job for the skid plate - sawzall with a hacksaw blade, as well as a stout drill bit for corner cuts. The skid plate is a hefty gauge steel.
Did you get a chance to post the pictures and measurements for the cuts?
Thx
Sponsored

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
Sorry, no measurements, but here's a better pic. I just simply cut to fit - had the hitch mounted and just kept cutting until it fit in. Cut it clean from the top of the skid plate, and down low enough to clear the "T" portion of the hitch. Cut the slots for the "T" and it's done. Not too difficult, but it is a heavy gauge of steel, so a good cutting tool is necessary. I used my sawzall....
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver front hitch

Bdervi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '08 JKU
Thanks, I just jumped in and cut mine looks good on the top but the bottom is crap. I'm gonna glue some fuel line on to fill the gap.
I did cut the original rear skid mounts to match up with the reveiverqq. It left one bolt in the original, but it is still seems stronger than the add on rear mount tabs included with the receiver.
If anyone needs a set of the tabs I'm happy to give them away.

20200821_131942.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Draw-Tite front receiver on my Overland since last winter shortly after I got it.
Worked great. Wasn't the best to install due to how they have the brackets and such, had to use washers as spacers between the frame horns and the receiver but it worked fine....... until today.
Now I really wish I had bought the Curt.
I found out the hard way that the Draw-Tite front receiver will NOT bolt up if you have the Rubicon steel bumper skid plate as those rear brackets are in the way of the receiver. There's not enough space to fit it in between the frame rails with those brackets on.
I can see why they furnished washers to use as spacers in some cases - if you have those nutserts in the frame and left the brackets for the skid plate off completely, the receiver would be a piece of cake as it woulde then bolt to one of those nutserts on each side, but still use one handle-nut on each side, but the washers as spacers would not be needed.
But - you can use either the skid plate brackets OR the receiver brackets, but not both.

So, has anyone here installed the Draw-Tite front receiver on a Rubicon with the steel bumper and steel skid plate?
If no, carry on to the next thread, thanks anyway LOL
If Yes, how did you handle the skid plate brackets? What's holding up the back end of your skid plate (bumper holding up the front of the skid plate of course) since the brackets prevent the receiver from going between the frame horns/rails.

I'm adding the steel 3 piece bumper and the Rubicon skid plate to my truck - or was, until I ran into this, sort of a road block for now.......

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Curt installed on my JTR with the steel bumper and the skid plate. It is not s direct fit - I had to take my sawzall to the skid plate for sure - but it is do-able.
Bringing this one back to life - I just put a Rubicon type steel bumper and the steel skid plate on my Overland, so from the bumper and skid plate perspective, it's a Rubicon with the 3 piece steel bumper and skid plate that bolts to the bumper.
I want to put a receiver BACK on my truck. I had to take the Draw-Tite off as there wans't any room after putting the nutserts in for the skid plate brackets. Even just the flange of those nuts make the space too narrow for the receiver to go between the frame rails, never mind the skid plate brackets.
Anyway, how did you ever bolt up the rear of your Rubicon skid plate or is it still only really attached at the bumper?

Sponsored

eligius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have a Rubicon with metal skid plate and have the same dilemma which receiver to use ? Also I'm not sure how to reattach the skid plate back after the inner bracket is removed to make room for the receiver. Any thoughts ?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Rubicon with metal skid plate and have the same dilemma which receiver to use ? Also I'm not sure how to reattach the skid plate back after the inner bracket is removed to make room for the receiver. Any thoughts ?
If you figure it out, please let me know. I need the receiver back on by spring (if not sooner)
The problem is also that the brackets are only part of the issue - the nuts in the frame also add to the problem. Even with the brackets off, there's not room for my receiver.

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
Bringing this one back to life - I just put a Rubicon type steel bumper and the steel skid plate on my Overland, so from the bumper and skid plate perspective, it's a Rubicon with the 3 piece steel bumper and skid plate that bolts to the bumper.
I want to put a receiver BACK on my truck. I had to take the Draw-Tite off as there wans't any room after putting the nutserts in for the skid plate brackets. Even just the flange of those nuts make the space too narrow for the receiver to go between the frame rails, never mind the skid plate brackets.
Anyway, how did you ever bolt up the rear of your Rubicon skid plate or is it still only really attached at the bumper?
I could not come up with a solid solution, so I did the obvious........nothing. It's mounted via the front mounting hardware, and seems really sturdy to me. I'm leaving it as is.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
I could not come up with a solid solution, so I did the obvious........nothing. It's mounted via the front mounting hardware, and seems really sturdy to me. I'm leaving it as is.
This has been a useful thread. I thought about a front receiver a year ago when I first got my JT, but it interfered with the winch plate so set it aside to deal with later. I looked at putting the front receiver on again the last few days, and documented an alternate solution in my build thread. This is mounting a RV receiver to the winch plate (vs. the Draw Tite or Curt type receivers which interfere with the winch plate).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This has been a useful thread. I thought about a front receiver a year ago when I first got my JT, but it interfered with the winch plate so set it aside to deal with later. I looked at putting the front receiver on again the last few days, and documented an alternate solution in my build thread. This is mounting a RV receiver to the winch plate (vs. the Draw Tite or Curt type receivers which interfere with the winch plate).
May interfere with your winch plate, but should not with mine as it sits higher than the receiver would.
My winch plate sits just a bit below the lower set of bumper-to-frame bolts. The Draw-Tite receiver sits below that. The receiver bar is higher on the Draw-Tite than the Curt. The curt receiver is even with the bar where the Draw Tite bar is a bit above the receiver. The two receivers mount a bit differently - and that's where mine has a problem with the skid plate brackets and frame nuts and I suspect the Curt would not.
I fully expect my Draw-Tite receiver to sit below my winch plate without issue.

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20201014_161814_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20200923

Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
May interfere with your winch plate, but should not with mine as it sits higher than the receiver would.
My winch plate sits just a bit below the lower set of bumper-to-frame bolts. The Draw-Tite receiver sits below that. The receiver bar is higher on the Draw-Tite than the Curt. The curt receiver is even with the bar where the Draw Tite bar is a bit above the receiver. The two receivers mount a bit differently - and that's where mine has a problem with the skid plate brackets and frame nuts and I suspect the Curt would not.
I fully expect my Draw-Tite receiver to sit below my winch plate without issue.

20201014_161814_HDR.jpg

20200923.jpg
That doesn't look like the steel bumper?

The receiver does sit below the winch with a winch plate in the steel bumper. My winch plate attaches to the frame using the same top inside bolt hole shown in the Draw Tite installation instructions.

The lower inside hole is used by the bracket used to hold the skid plate that adds a nut facing downward in the middle of the frame member (2nd photo). Think that interference would be the same problem with any front receiver with the steel skid plate.

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.37.19 AM

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.43.02 AM

Looks like Curt uses the same nuts, so would be a problem there too, though they come with fasica brackets that may be able to work with the steel skid plate?
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.52.35 AM

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't look like the steel bumper?

The receiver does sit below the winch with a winch plate in the steel bumper. My winch plate attaches to the frame using the same top inside bolt hole shown in the Draw Tite installation instructions.

The lower inside hole is used by the bracket used to hold the skid plate that adds a nut facing downward in the middle of the frame member (2nd photo). Think that interference would be the same problem with any front receiver with the steel skid plate.

That pic is showing the receiver with the ORIGINAL bumper.
I now have this but left the receiver off because it won't fit between the frame rails with the skid plate brackets in place.........

The issue is not the winch plate, but is with the space between frame rails once you have the skid plate brackets in place.

The nuts you install into the frame to hold the skid plate brackets stick out some, plus the bracket thickness, there's not enough space between the frame rails any more.
If I remove the skid plate, remove the skid plate bolts and brackets, there's still not enough space because those nuts in the frame rails are tall enough - the receiver just fit between the frame rails as it was. Even 1/8" on each frame rail means it won't fit between any more - then add the thickness of those skid plate brackets, you are really done.

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20201027_152230_HDR
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20201216_125134_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20201015_162050_HDR
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20201015_162032_HDR

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
That pic is showing the receiver with the ORIGINAL bumper.
I now have this but left the receiver off because it won't fit between the frame rails with the skid plate brackets in place.........

The issue is not the winch plate, but is with the space between frame rails once you have the skid plate brackets in place.

The nuts you install into the frame to hold the skid plate brackets stick out some, plus the bracket thickness, there's not enough space between the frame rails any more.
If I remove the skid plate, remove the skid plate bolts and brackets, there's still not enough space because those nuts in the frame rails are tall enough - the receiver just fit between the frame rails as it was. Even 1/8" on each frame rail means it won't fit between any more - then add the thickness of those skid plate brackets, you are really done.

Yeah, basically same thing I was saying. Even just dropping the skid plate brackets, looked like it needed another 1/8-1/4" clearance with the inside bolts (mine is a Rubicon LE and came with steel bumper, so skid plate bracket nuts were there from factory). Think I updated my post with the Curt install instructions that show similar issue with the skid plate bracket, though it comes with a fascia bracket that may also be useable for the steel skid plate.

Regardless, if you have a winch/winch plate installed, may be easier to bolt an RV receiver to the winch plate rather than try to deal with all the interference issues of winch plate, skid plate, skid plate brackets, receiver, etc. If you mount it further aft you may need to notch the skid plate/bumper to get it all back together, or mount it a bit forward of the skid plate drop/line of bolts to avoid some cuts. After clamping it together and seeing how things look, I've opted not to put a front receiver on my setup regardless of drilling/cutting required. But that may be an option for someone like you with winch/steel bumper.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, basically same thing I was saying. Even just dropping the skid plate brackets, looked like it needed another 1/8-1/4" clearance with the inside bolts (mine is a Rubicon LE and came with steel bumper, so skid plate bracket nuts were there from factory). Think I updated my post with the Curt install instructions that show similar issue with the skid plate bracket, though it comes with a fascia bracket that may also be useable for the steel skid plate.

Regardless, if you have a winch/winch plate installed, may be easier to bolt an RV receiver to the winch plate rather than try to deal with all the interference issues of winch plate, skid plate, skid plate brackets, receiver, etc. If you mount it further aft you may need to notch the skid plate/bumper to get it all back together, or mount it a bit forward of the skid plate drop/line of bolts to avoid some cuts. After clamping it together and seeing how things look, I've opted not to put a front receiver on my setup regardless of drilling/cutting required. But that may be an option for someone like you with winch/steel bumper.
I need the front receiver to maneuver and park my car hauler. Otherwise there's not enough room to turn it around easily and park it - even with this shorter truck than I used to have.
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20200122_150434
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver backing-trailer