Sponsored

Front license plate state and winch bumper

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So for guys required to run a front plate what have you done ? I currently have the plastic bumper and plate is in center. The steel bumper appears to not have a location for plate and plan to add a winch when i install.
Sponsored

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
There are other threads on this, but IMO the easiest thing to do is get some strong magnets. Both the bumper and the plate are steel. I did this on my XJ and it worked great for years.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I have the oem steel 3 piece bumper. I added the warn winch plate which comes with a beauty plate that has a place to mount the state plate.
There is also many companies that make attachments for winch fairleads or rollers depending which style of winch you go with too.
daystar, rugged ridge etc etc.

Hope this helps.

A022CE79-7A68-49C6-8326-A3A7D6DBA00E.jpeg

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I also went with the warn winch plate, it holds the license plate at a weird angle below the fairlead but I haven't been bothered by law enforcement for it yet after 2 years of running it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
I also used the one from the Warn winch plate, but added wing nuts so I can remove the plate for harder terrain, but probably won't ever need to. My Wrangler has it mounted in a similar position with a bracket from JCR and I haven't caught it on anything in 7-8 years.

KohalaHutch

First Name
Hutch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Wrangler: MW3 Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I have the Warm winch plate too, but I ordered the Maximus-3 stealth plate to see how that looks. I’m not crazy about the way the Warn plate leaves it hanging loose on the bottom.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So for guys required to run a front plate what have you done ? I currently have the plastic bumper and plate is in center. The steel bumper appears to not have a location for plate and plan to add a winch when i install.
Cascadia Designs makes the best bracket I’ve seen yet. It works phenomenally. You just hinge it up and it stays where you put it. no tools.
Jeep Gladiator Front license plate state and winch bumper 75BE3507-DFE3-49F8-B0AB-1C426F7F3E26

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I would recommend the
Maximus 3 stealth mount License Plate holder
Maximus 3 Zeon winch rear filler plates (just for looks for the warn winch)

They look great and are very stout. I hit a tree stump on "John Bull" trail, and when I backed up, I pulled the license plate forward, and the backing plate and license plate were easy to bend back and fix. The tilted mount itself never bent. Very sturdy.

Jeep Gladiator Front license plate state and winch bumper ui8pvC

Jeep Gladiator Front license plate state and winch bumper zqXTTP

Jeep Gladiator Front license plate state and winch bumper Ep3ceB

Jeep Gladiator Front license plate state and winch bumper 19yXEt

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Tbh I installed Arcus and forgot the license plate and never added it. I’ve been running without a front plate for about a year but I keep it in my truck in case a cop asks “it fell off on the trail”

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There's literally a book on front plate mounts, dozens and dozens of pictures, how people have mounted plates, where they have mounted plates, flip-up mounts of various flavors, types and costs, and more. Last one I looked at for ideas for my own was several pages long with some great pics of the various mounts.

Since some state laws vary on how high or low the plate needs to be and so on, I won't be mounting on the lower part of the bumper - Iowa snow and ice would not only see it ripped off, it wouldn't be readable.
Sorry, mounting on the lower edge to be caught by brush, snow/ice and rocks makes little sense to me. It's not only barely readable, it's going to get destroyed. The whole point of having a truck lifted, bigger tires, skid plates, steel bumper and winch and all of that is to clear things - then to mount a thin aluminum plate down there for the brush and rock to destroy - sort of goes against logic in a way.
Iowa is a bit weird - they want that front plate, they send you the front plate - yet if it's not there, it's not a huge deal - but have it there and in the wrong place or not readable, and it's a bigger deal.
It has to be a minimum distance from the ground (there was a law being considered to exclude certain cars from that because their bumpers are so low, or they don't have provisions for plates, not sure if it passed or not. My Javelin sits so low in the front.............)

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like that mine is flat and readable when on the road, but equally functional off road. It gives if hit without damaging the mount, it protects my fairlead and expensive Factor55 flat link, and it flips up without tools when I need the winch, or just want 1 more inch of approach angle, usually when going down a steep 30+degree decline where the bumper might drag at the bottom.
Sponsored