Sponsored

Fuel Mileage for Gladiator EcoDiesel 28 MPG Highway?

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I have not seen EPA mileage ratings on the Gladiator EcoDiesel, but the Jeep press release for the Farout Concept vehicle (in the general section) references a 28 MPG Highway rating on the vehicle as if it is a well known fact. Anybody seen anything more official on this?
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I haven't seen anything official. Kind of funny that they're taking orders for these, but haven't released all the important info. on them. :)

The Ram 1500 window sticker shows 29 MPG highway. I can tell you that I've never seen anything remotely close to that, even with the cruise set at 70 on open roadway.

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
Curious for the folks who do get their diesels in q4 what mileage they get towing a 4500lb RV trailer. That's what would more likely push me to the diesel. Currently towing trailer with grand cherokee v6 and get about 18-22L/100 (10.6-13mpg) going about 110km/h (70mph).

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Curious for the folks who do get their diesels in q4 what mileage they get towing a 4500lb RV trailer. That's what would more likely push me to the diesel. Currently towing trailer with grand cherokee v6 and get about 18-22L/100 (10.6-13mpg) going about 110km/h (70mph).
Identical powertrain with just a few hundred more pounds of weight in the Ram application. I get 14 MPG when towing 4,000 lbs. enclosed trailer and an ATV in the box. That's with 3.92 axle gear. The JT will have 3.73 axle gear so very similar. You're probably looking at somewhere in the 12-15 miles per gallon ballpark to tow that RV trailer.

It's honestly not better than gas if you're working it hard. The slight fuel savings only comes when driving unloaded.

Sponsored

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
Identical powertrain with just a few hundred more pounds of weight in the Ram application. I get 14 MPG when towing 4,000 lbs. enclosed trailer and an ATV in the box. That's with 3.92 axle gear. The JT will have 3.73 axle gear so very similar. You're probably looking at somewhere in the 12-15 miles per gallon ballpark to tow that RV trailer.

It's honestly not better than gas if you're working it hard. The slight fuel savings only comes when driving unloaded.
Very interesting. I would have thought it to be the opposite where not much is saved driving but more so towing since it doesn't have to run 500rpm below redline. I keep flip flopping on the engine options. Good thing I have 9 more months to figure it out. hahaha. :(

jpaperguy

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for Gladiator
Occupation
IT

I thought it was going to be the 4.10 axle?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I rode in a JLUR with the 3.0 today. On 37s with stock gearing
it was indicating 28.7 mpg during a 30 mile ride at 68mph

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I rode in a JLUR with the 3.0 today. On 37s with stock gearing
it was indicating 28.7 mpg during a 30 mile ride at 68mph
I wonder if the JL fuel display is optimistic like the DT display? In the Ram, the dash display is very optimistic and doesn't show accurate fuel economy at all. Mine is always 5-8% higher than actual.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I wonder if the JL fuel display is optimistic like the DT display? In the Ram, the dash display is very optimistic and doesn't show accurate fuel economy at all. Mine is always 5-8% higher than actual.
even if it were that optimistic, that would mean 26.4 to 27.2 mpg

speedo did match GPS and a radar sign we passed

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

Interesting, I thought diesels usually got pretty close to normal when towing

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting, I thought diesels usually got pretty close to normal when towing
Nope. Unfortunately, the higher the MPG is on a vehicle, the more sensitive it becomes to change.

A V8 truck that gets 15 on a good day might only fall to 12 when towing.

But a diesel or very fuel efficient V6 gas truck that gets 25+ on a good day will fall like a rock when you put it to work.

Having said that, it's STILL better to drive something fuel efficient because let's face it, most of us rarely haul or tow. Towing is a small % of our driving.

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
I might be completely off here, but I think diesels of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s were far better than heir has counterparts for towing and longevity. With today’s engines and engineering, I think they have closed the gap significantly.

The ONLY reason I am getting the diesel is because I live in Nova Scotia and my brother is moving to Kelowna, B.C. The Gladiator will be making at least 3 trips a year, and I want to carry Jerry cans in the back so I don’t have to stop or worry about where I am going to stop. I am hoping the damn thing with do 500 hey miles on a tank! I pray for 600, but let’s be honest.

as for towing...for those of you that are going to tow daily...save yourself some money and get a diesel 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton. The Gladiator will be an incredible tow vehicle, is not made to tow like the 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Yes it will tow what you want just fine, but it will be taxing on the Jeep.

vehicle are rated by what they can Stop. Not what they can tow. TheGladiator diesel will town ANYTHING YOU WANT IT TOO! But it my not stop it.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I might be completely off here, but I think diesels of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s were far better than heir has counterparts for towing and longevity. With today’s engines and engineering, I think they have closed the gap significantly.

The ONLY reason I am getting the diesel is because I live in Nova Scotia and my brother is moving to Kelowna, B.C. The Gladiator will be making at least 3 trips a year, and I want to carry Jerry cans in the back so I don’t have to stop or worry about where I am going to stop. I am hoping the damn thing with do 500 hey miles on a tank! I pray for 600, but let’s be honest.

as for towing...for those of you that are going to tow daily...save yourself some money and get a diesel 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton. The Gladiator will be an incredible tow vehicle, is not made to tow like the 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Yes it will tow what you want just fine, but it will be taxing on the Jeep.

vehicle are rated by what they can Stop. Not what they can tow. TheGladiator diesel will town ANYTHING YOU WANT IT TOO! But it my not stop it.
They use SAE standards to determine tow ratings on trucks, within it’s rated capacity the JT is just as capable as any other truck.
Sponsored