Sponsored

Future of the Gladiator

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
FCA has historical data from 1985-1991 when the Jeep Comanche was competition to the Dodge Dakota. Chrysler at the time killed the Comanche to stop it from stealing Dakota sales.

Rick
That is over simplification that really does not tell the whole story. When Chrysler bought AMC in 1986 and the last Comanche was made in 1992, there was basically 6 whole model years of overlap with the Comanche and Dakota selling at the same time. 6 years is a long time to kill something.

If you overlap the sales numbers of each model year by year from 1987 to 1992, the Dakota was outselling the Comanche anywhere from two to ten times the amount over the Comanche.

Basically after the 1989 model year, the Comanche sales numbers fell off a cliff until finally being discontinued in 1992 with less than 1K made that year. Chrysler could have face lifted it like they did with the 1st Gen Dakota in 1991 but sales numbers did not justify it.

Data does not support the narrative the Comanche was killed because it threatened the Dakota. The data supports the business decision it was not earning it’s keep on the lot.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Last time I saw numbers, the 2 door accounted for about 1/3 of JK sales...which means that towards the END of production, the 2 door JK may have outsold most years of TJ sales.
Well I always heard Wrangler was 80% 4-door and 85% automatic. Maybe I'm wrong. Hard to find a source.

Edit:

Here is some data. 2-door Right at 20%.

2016_wrangler_global_production_01-jpg.jpg

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I'd even settle for a similar conversion kit as the JKUte, but for the JLU, just to have SOMETHING like a J6. My main issue with this kit (other than the bed being tiny) is that there is no full body separation between the "cab" and "bed" to make it look like a normal truck. They just fill in the rear door with a solid panel and it seems awkward

https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/jk-wrangler/jeep-wrangler-jkute-truck-conversion-kit
I was thinking more on the lines of truncating the four door cab of the JT to a 2-door or extended cab version and adding a longer bed on the same frame. Which would be easier- engineering a new frame for an extended wb JL or just chopping the roll cage of the JT?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I wonder if they will offer more 'out there' colors in a few years. Could you picture a yellow, bright green, turquoise or purple Gladiator?
Absolutely-

Sponsored

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
Well I always heard Wrangler was 80% 4-door and 85% automatic. Maybe I'm wrong. Hard to find a source.

Edit:

Here is some data. 2-door Right at 20%.

2016_wrangler_global_production_01-jpg.jpg

I think they require a subscription (I work for a dealership so I get them) but ward automotive is the industry news journal that is current and shows production numbers for all makes and models.

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
I wonder if they will offer more 'out there' colors in a few years. Could you picture a yellow, bright green, turquoise or purple Gladiator?
I will get rid of my White for a Bikini colored one.

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
bikini would be a wild gladiator color.
I had a 1996 Ram 1500 in Medium Island Teal (very close match) and I really liked that color alot..

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would be sweet if FCA introduces the 'Tornado' turbo I6 engine.
(Well, maybe not so much to those who already bought the 3.6L I guess :lipssealed:)

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking more on the lines of truncating the four door cab of the JT to a 2-door or extended cab version and adding a longer bed on the same frame. Which would be easier- engineering a new frame for an extended wb JL or just chopping the roll cage of the JT?
You are on the money w/ the extended cab. I have a Scrambler, and let's just say that the girth of your average American would be an issue for a standard-cab Jeep pickup. :blush:
I'd think in theory easier to add to the JT line = keep same frame & running gear so keep close to same tow/load capacity. You would want to shorten the tail overhang so you'd basically shift the bed into the cab = not gain very much bed length.
The real question would be: to what extent does 'interest' equal actual sales? If you were to add a new config to the existing JT production line, it would really put a cramp in production capacity. also -

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon; 2015 Ram Laramie
From what I have read of the upcoming Bronco with two variants (2-door and 4-door and pickup) removable and hard tops, removable doors, etc - Ford is going hard at the Wrangler and Gladiator - it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds and what Bronco variants are actually brought to market. One thing for sure - Jeep will not be the only one in this market anymore...

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon; 2015 Ram Laramie
The 2021 Dakota Extended cab has been rendered:
upload_2019-10-9_15-49-39.jpeg

This looks really good and for those of us who don't want to be forced into a crew cab - this looks really good!

Choj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon
The 2021 Dakota Extended cab has been rendered:
upload_2019-10-9_15-49-39.jpeg

This looks really good and for those of us who don't want to be forced into a crew cab - this looks really good!
Looks like every other truck on the market. No way I could tell it was a Dodge without the big RAM on the front.