Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that but when I leave the gas station it says 287 miles till empty next tank when leave different gas station it reads 330 till empty
That's because the computer is doing an average based on a specific amount of historical data. That data changes with each trip. Unless you are driving the exact same route, at the exact same speed, with the exact same throttle control, all the time, the computer results will be different every time. Instead of looking at the computer range estimates, look at how many miles were actually driven and the amount of fuel it required.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rattydude77

Rattydude77

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Contractor
Okay you see the middle number 285 that tell me how many miles I have left till I fill up again when I leave the gas station it reads 330 from one gas station when I go to another a aweek later and fill up it reads 287 this is a week later after emptying out the gas tank driving

1683596589986912913272005991034.jpg

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
It has absolutely nothing to do with the station you went to. How would that even make sense? Do you really think that one station is giving you less fuel than the other? That number is a reference only. It means nothing in terms of what you got. The pumps, on the other hand, are controlled and calibrated.

Maybe, just maybe, the variables that are going into a conservative "miles remaining" calculation are changing and you get different numbers as a result. It's never billed to be a truly accurate number, as I said it's just a reference. And it changes based on what it calculates from a variety of data points. Why is that so hard to believe?

Haven't you ever noticed how the "miles remaining" doesn't go down the exact number of miles you drove? It's not saying you didn't drive those miles. It's updating it's already-conservative estimations based on the available information. And sometimes they go down faster than the miles you drove. Doesn't mean you went further than the odometer said you did. Means you were more inefficient than predicted.

On the other hand, you can choose to ignore all of us too. Trying to help. No skin off my back if you don't believe us.

OP
OP
Rattydude77

Rattydude77

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Contractor
That's because the computer is doing an average based on a specific amount of historical data. That data changes with each trip. Unless you are driving the exact same route, at the exact same speed, with the exact same throttle control, all the time, the computer results will be different every time. Instead of looking at the computer range estimates, look at how many miles were actually driven and the amount of fuel it required.
Idk the tank is the same size every time I fill up 14.5 or 15 gallons should alway read the same number when u fill up yes if I drive 80mph il get 6 miles per gallon I understand that but when u fill up the number should stay the same your gas gaug don't read half full when u fill up just because you drove faster than last week

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Idk the tank is the same size every time I fill up 14.5 or 15 gallons should alway read the same number when u fill up yes if I drive 80mph il get 6 miles per gallon I understand that but when u fill up the number should stay the same your gas gaug don't read half full when u fill up just because you drove faster than last week
Look, this is very simple.

15 gallons with an avg MPG of 15 = 225 miles
15 gallons with an avg MPG of 18 = 270 miles

The computer is using that information. So it will obviously change based on how you drive. It will likely never be the same. IT IS NOT A GAS GAUGE. IT IS AN ESTIMATION OF MILES TO EMPTY.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Gas 16835969974776963925405949061339

Ok you see that number that says 18.3 MPGs that's my miles per gallon average. If that's not the same everytime you fill up then you range isn't going to be the same either. It will vary and almost never be exact. If idle time is more or less between each fill up it will vary as well. I'm not sure what your not understanding, we completely understand that you got 287 and one station and then put premium in at another station and got 330. It nothing to do with the station or the gas being premium or regular. It can vary and varying by 40 to 50 range is totally possible. Hopefully that makes sense because that's the only way to explain it which has already been explained by others as well. But if you feel like you need to go to the stations that gives you more to satisfy you psychologically then do that.

OP
OP
Rattydude77

Rattydude77

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Contractor
It has absolutely nothing to do with the station you went to. How would that even make sense? Do you really think that one station is giving you less fuel than the other? That number is a reference only. It means nothing in terms of what you got. The pumps, on the other hand, are controlled and calibrated.

Maybe, just maybe, the variables that are going into a conservative "miles remaining" calculation are changing and you get different numbers as a result. It's never billed to be a truly accurate number, as I said it's just a reference. And it changes based on what it calculates from a variety of data points. Why is that so hard to believe?

Haven't you ever noticed how the "miles remaining" doesn't go down the exact number of miles you drove? It's not saying you didn't drive those miles. It's updating it's already-conservative estimations based on the available information.

On the other hand, you can choose to ignore all of us too. Trying to help. No skin off my back if you don't believe us.
I'm not saying one gives more than the other im saying a 15 gallon tank should hold the same amount of fuel every time u fill up and the number when full should read the same no matter how fast or how far I drive

OP
OP
Rattydude77

Rattydude77

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Contractor
Look, this is very simple.

15 gallons with an avg MPG of 15 = 225 miles
15 gallons with an avg MPG of 18 = 270 miles

The computer is using that information. So it will obviously change based on how you drive. It will likely never be the same.
I understand that but when I fill up drive a mile away 330 next week fill up drive a mile away 240

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand that but when I fill up drive a mile away 330 next week fill up drive a mile away 240
Ok I'm sorry, but you clearly do not understand that then. Otherwise you wouldn't be saying this.

Again, IT IS NOT A GAS GAUGE.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not saying one gives more than the other im saying a 15 gallon tank should hold the same amount of fuel every time u fill up and the number when full should read the same no matter how fast or how far I drive
It will not no matter how much you say it should. Your range is based on the mpgs that's it. The tank can stay the same. Heck I've put gas in and rolled out of a gas stations and it said 305 range and actually gained 5 mpg on the range between fill-ups.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Okay you see the middle number 285 that tell me how many miles I have left till I fill up again when I leave the gas station it reads 330 from one gas station when I go to another a aweek later and fill up it reads 287 this is a week later after emptying out the gas tank driving

Jeep Gladiator Gas 16835969974776963925405949061339
Yes, that is the computer range estimator, and it is not very accurate. I don't watch the range, or the MPG display. Trying to reconcile those numbers with the amount of fuel put in the tank will drive you crazy.

I know that I can go about 400 miles on a full tank. Over 47k miles of driving that has been consistent. I watch the Fuel Guage only to know when to stop and refill. I usually fill at half, but will go down to a quarter on long trips where I get better mileage.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Look it's basically like this , if you add larger tires then your range will not be the same on your jeep, It will go down. The same logic applies to aggressive driving vs babying it, the one babying their jeep is going to see more range out of a tank of gas than the person not. It can be the exact same jeep and one person will get more range than the other. When my wife drives my jeep it get less MPGs because she guns it on takeoff and pushes the speed limit to 80 in it. When I drive it I can normally get 2 extra days out of tank of gas over her and that's filling it up and the exact same station.

GHWillys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue Gladiator, 2019 Honda Pilot
Okay got a brain teaser stop at a gas station called Circle K full up the Gladiator guage says 287 miles till empty go to another gas station called Fast Trac same amount of gas same premium gas same amount of money but this one says 330 miles till empty 😳
I have noticed this same phenomenon. When I fill up at Wawa my range will say 324 miles. The last time I filled up at a Sheetz it only said 292. I have finally settled the debate for PA convenience store supremacy. The only conclusion is that Wawa is clearly better than Sheetz.

As others have stated that number will vary practically every time you fill your tank based on the most recent data stored in the computer. Also, I don't think you need to spend extra money for premium gas. The recommended fuel for the 3.6L V6 is 87 octane.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I am feeling pretty good! My Sport S filled up today and it has been saying about 422. I do mixed driving and get around 21 mpg. Course a few months ago I was driving it hard speed and acceleration and it said 385. So yes your mpg performance prior to fill up will determine what it says.

What everyone is saying is right. Your avg mpg drives it. You gas up and when you pulled into the station you had been getting 20 mpg so the estimate says 400 miles and drive a mile…the mpg reestablishes since you just refilled and your driving style causes it to say 12 mpg in that one mile. The estimate will then drop from the 400 you saw at the station to 240.

The next time you fill it again will base the estimated miles left on the mpg you had going into the gas station. You fill up and you and drive the same mile your driving style is different enough that your glad says 17 mpg. The computer recaculates and reissues a new estimated left and it is lower that the time before. Easy peasy.

The miles left is dynamic and is especially dynamic when you roll into a gas station where it initially sets on your previous MPG. Then as you drive away the MPG resets in the computer and the miles left immediately changes based on that.

Last edited: