Sponsored

GDE is back and making EPA compliant tune!

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Isn’t there some sort of counter internally showing how many times the vehicle has been flashed?
I gotcha. Yes, there might be a counter of some sort showing how many times the system has been flashed, but that doesn't mean much. I personally know an FCA diesel tech who his EcoDiesel and Cummins certified. I discovered last year that dealers do not share the same information. For example, the dealer I purchased my truck from, and who did most of my warranty work, were forced to close their business due to a court order. When I went to a second dealer, they were not able to see the work that my original dealer did. All they can see is that my recalls are either up-to-date or not up-to-date. Since then, I have gone to a third dealer. Dealer techs don't care, but even if they did, they don't have the ability to monitor or keep track of flashes.

GDE will even tell you that their tune, for the sake of warranty and other dealer visits, is undetectable once you've flashed back to the factory tune via GDE flash tool. Many GDE tuners have performed this task and I've yet to hear of anyone having problems. My friend who is a dealer diesel tech will tell you that there's nothing they can do. Their job is to diagnose and repair in a timely manner.

Interestingly, both of my dealers actually recommend the GDE tune. They brag about the 300,000 mile EcoDiesel trucks they service, lol.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Isn’t there some sort of counter internally showing how many times the vehicle has been flashed?

Yes there is. If the module has been flashed more times than the warranty history shows then it's obvious a flash tune has been installed. Installing a flash tune then putting it back to stock will show up as 2 flashes.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
That's not true.
Which part isn't true? As I said, dealerships don't share information, so there's no way to monitor flashes and who did the flashes.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which part isn't true? As I said, dealerships don't share information, so there's no way to monitor flashes and who did the flashes.
Every dealer has the ability to go into the WARRANTY (not customer pay) history through Dealer Connect and see what repairs or flashes were done on a vehicle at any dealership.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Every dealer has the ability to go into the WARRANTY (not customer pay) history through Dealer Connect and see what repairs or flashes were done on a vehicle at any dealership.
Correct, only if it is flashed for warranty or recall purposes, but they do not share other types of work that may be performed on the truck. In other words, not every flash is recorded.

When I went to a second dealer, they were not able to see the work that my original dealer did. All they can see is that my recalls are either up-to-date or not up-to-date.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, only if it is flashed for warranty or recall purposes, but they do not share other types of work that may be performed on the truck. In other words, not every flash is recorded.
Again, EVERY flash attempt is recorded in the PCM. If the flash counter in the PCM doesn't agree with how many times the PCM has been flashed under warranty, you're potentially screwed.

If a customer is paying for a flash the vehicle is out of warranty and Jeep could care less. I was letting people know that if you want a flash tune then wait till your vehicle is out of warranty to be 100% sure that you won't have powertrain coverage issues. For example, you could have a legitimate transmission warranty issue issue declined if your flash counter doesn't agree with what Jeep has on record. You're fooling yourself if you think they can't turn it down and make it stick in court. It's a modification and modifications (and what THEY deem are consequential damages) are not covered by warranty. Your powertrain will be flagged for future issues as well. It's all fun and games till someone has to come out of their ass pocket for repairs.

Reactions: Mac

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I believe each flash also resets other counters in the computer so if there is a serious problem and the tech starts looking at other parameters they are not going to match up with miles or other counters that don’t get reset with a flash.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Again, EVERY flash attempt is recorded in the PCM. If the flash counter in the PCM doesn't agree with how many times the PCM has been flashed under warranty, you're potentially screwed.
I'm not disagreeing that every flash attempt is recorded in the PCM, but the dealer may not have a record of why the PCM was flashed. That's the only point I'm making. Even my dealer said, "We have no record what your previous dealer did".

I was letting people know that if you want a flash tune then wait till your vehicle is out of warranty to be 100% sure that you won't have powertrain coverage issues.
Yes, but I think we are moving into hyperventilation mode and not reality. I've spent a lot of time on EcoDiesel forums and other social media sites and I've never heard of anyone being denied warranty because the number of flashes didn't add up. Even my friend who is a diesel tech for FCA said it's not an issue. There's been dozens of people who flashed back to stock tuning just to get their $3,075 FCA settlement check and NOT ONE person was denied.

So, based on reality, this has never been an issue. Could it become an issue? Perhaps. Things can change. But knowing that my truck has a 75% soot reduction in the engine is worth the tune. I'm going in next week to have the water pump and o-rings replaced at 92,000 miles. It's been approved under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not disagreeing that every flash attempt is recorded in the PCM, but the dealer may not have a record of why the PCM was flashed. That's the only point I'm making. Even my dealer said, "We have no record what your previous dealer did".

Yes, but I think we are moving into hyperventilation mode and not reality.
If your dealer said that about previous warranty work done at another dealership then they're clueless.

Flash counters can and have voided warranty repairs. Is it the norm? Probably not but in the words of Clint Eastwood, "You feel lucky?" Personally I wouldn't chance it till I was out of warranty as I'd be the one in 50 that gets busted.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Is this tune available in CA yet?
The tune is expected to have the EPA certification by early summer, then CARB certification 4 - 6 weeks later.

Up2spec

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Diesel Overland
The tune is expected to have the EPA certification by early summer, then CARB certification 4 - 6 weeks later.
Awesome. Now I can put away the coin to do the tune. What's the price on it?
Sponsored