Sponsored

GDE vs EOC/MR

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dean
Joined
Jul 22, 2021
Threads
36
Messages
382
Reaction score
478
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
New info.
Talked to GDE this morning. Summarized.
The Gen 3 tunes are all the same. There can only be One that is “Best”.
The final HP and Torque numbers are all the same, for all Gen 3 EcoDiesels. The exhaust system does not change these numbers.
The Gladiator was limited by the Factory.
The GDE tune installed in a Gladiator adds…..
45 Horsepower over factory and 120 Foot pounds of Torque over factory.

Edit: All Factory safeties and limits still intact.

A GDE vs EOC/MR thread should also include…

2nd Edit: including a screen shot off EOC website. MR website similar.
Jeep Gladiator GDE vs EOC/MR IMG_0162


All platforms show the same numbers.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dean
Joined
Jul 22, 2021
Threads
36
Messages
382
Reaction score
478
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Also. Few hundred more miles. Normal daily drive.
Engine oil temps and Transmission temps always within 5 degrees of each other, 200ish. My new normal.
MPG still improving. Not “testing”.
 
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dean
Joined
Jul 22, 2021
Threads
36
Messages
382
Reaction score
478
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Got the first real trip in towing the trailer. No engine codes!
Towed 140 total miles through the same mountain roads previously mentioned. About 50 of the miles in the dirt. Before GDE this would set off an engine code, every trip.

I found my old Garmin I used for mountain biking. Took it along to verify some of the grades. The grade that all Max temps are recorded is: 4 miles long, 4-8%, with almost a mile at 8%. It’s a good climb. You also start the climb around 10mph due to road design.
Garmin documented 12k Acent with 10k decent averaging 18mph over the entire trip.

Before GDE, this trip oil cooler fan On 100%. This trip I did not use oil cooler fan, Off 100%.

Pavement.
Previous trips (EOC) the max oil temp was 239. It would stay in the hi 230’s for 30% of the time. Above 225 about 80% of the time. Rarely below 220.
Thru all my testing the oil cooler fan On helps between 5-10 degrees depending on how long the drive was plus type.

GDE towing. No engine oil cooler fan.
Max oil temp 248 PUSHING IT (55mph) up that same hill. EGT temps match the grade. 1534 max 8%. 1400’s 7%. 1300’s 6% and so on.
I did this pull twice. 2nd time normal driving. 45 mph.
Max oil temp 243, just a spike. Sustained max 240 about a minute. Above 225 about 30% of the time. The rest of the time spread out from 205-225. With occasional 190’s.
EGT spike low 1500. 1400’s 8%, 1300’s 7% and so on.

On the dirt. 220’s most of the time. Nothing above 229. Stayed in 4H. 4L would have dropped the temps, I wanted to test. Plus the GDE made it doable.

Overall towing has all the benefits over previous tune as mentioned before.
The one big plus was on the dirt. 4H was possible because it would stay in 1st and 2nd gear without getting ahead of itself.

MPG for the entire trip was 16mpg.

The JT with trailer is 11k. 42” tires. 5.13 gears.

I’m very happy!

Jeep Gladiator GDE vs EOC/MR IMG_0169
 

BlueScapegoat

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Threads
14
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,854
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, 04 Forester XT, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
4
Got my GDE afterlife ECM back and flashed the new transmission tune...

I've only driven it up and down the road but man the trans tune is so much better than the MRTuning calibration. Silky smooth, and no more slamming into first when I roll through a right turn.

I have run the EOC for a long time and there is NO WAY the GDE tune is 2 seconds quicker to anything than the race map on the SOTF.

Unless its pushing 45-50psi?

The turbo is maxed in the high 30s producing extreme outlet temps that the intercooler cant keep up with.

I keep seeing people comparing them....are you comparing these tunes on the stock fueling or low HP settings? If you are comparing the full high HP map of MRtuning/EOC vs the GDE's afterlife tune and its producing more power.....I may send them my spare ecu. Nobody clarifies if they are comparing a proper performance tune to GDE afterlife or the lower fuel settings.
I missed this comment originally...

With my SOTF MRTuning tune the race tune always felt slower to me than the street or tow tunes. I've done some gas tuning myself but I'm not nearly as familiar with diesel. But it just seems the added smoke with the race tune was unburnt fuel and space that could have been better utilized with actual combustion. I usually daily drove it in the tow tune for that reason. That and considerably less smoke. But my biggest issue was the trans tuning from MRTuning. It'd get to the top of the gear and just hang at redline forever before shifting. I've been saying for a while now that I think a fully EPA intact GDE tune performs better than an MRTuning delete. I should say not only performs better, but is faster in a straight line.

I've got a bunch of 0-60 runs recorded from the MRTuning tune, I should be able to go back and confirm the performance differences between the tunes. I'll get out maybe tomorrow and record some 0-60 with the GDE afterlife tune. It's entirely possible the GDE tune feels faster but isn't.

I've got both ECMs here so I could theoretically swap them out quick and do back to back pulls somewhere for a truly apples to apples comparison
 

Idlethunder

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Mar 22, 2022
Threads
15
Messages
849
Reaction score
1,062
Location
Oklahoma
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, 23 JTRD
Occupation
Manufacturing
With my SOTF MRTuning tune the race tune always felt slower to me than the street or tow tunes. I've done some gas tuning myself but I'm not nearly as familiar with diesel. But it just seems the added smoke with the race tune was unburnt fuel and space that could have been better utilized with actual combustion. I usually daily drove it in the tow tune for that reason. That and considerably less smoke. But my biggest issue was the trans tuning from MRTuning. It'd get to the top of the gear and just hang at redline forever before shifting. I've been saying for a while now that I think a fully EPA intact GDE tune performs better than an MRTuning delete. I should say not only performs better, but is faster in a straight line.

I've got a bunch of 0-60 runs recorded from the MRTuning tune, I should be able to go back and confirm the performance differences between the tunes. I'll get out maybe tomorrow and record some 0-60 with the GDE afterlife tune. It's entirely possible the GDE tune feels faster but isn't.

I've got both ECMs here so I could theoretically swap them out quick and do back to back pulls somewhere for a truly apples to apples comparison
Thank you for the update! Am looking forward to your impression as you get more time with GDE.

With GDE do you only have one tune, or are there others that you can access with a programmer?

Because of Adaptive cruise I wasn't able to get SOTF like you had with EOC but I do have access to all 5 tunes using the Powergate device. After using them all a little, I stayed on the tow tune because of the smoke from street and race.
 

Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Threads
14
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,854
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, 04 Forester XT, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
4
Thank you for the update! Am looking forward to your impression as you get more time with GDE.

With GDE do you only have one tune, or are there others that you can access with a programmer?

Because of Adaptive cruise I wasn't able to get SOTF like you had with EOC but I do have access to all 5 tunes using the Powergate device. After using them all a little, I stayed on the tow tune because of the smoke from street and race.
GDE focuses on one tune. As somebody said earlier in the thread from their discourse with GDE, there is only one best tune. And that's what they sell.
 

rharr

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 6, 2021
Threads
29
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2,908
Location
Tucson, AZ
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Got my GDE afterlife ECM back and flashed the new transmission tune...

I've only driven it up and down the road but man the trans tune is so much better than the MRTuning calibration. Silky smooth, and no more slamming into first when I roll through a right turn.



I missed this comment originally...

With my SOTF MRTuning tune the race tune always felt slower to me than the street or tow tunes. I've done some gas tuning myself but I'm not nearly as familiar with diesel. But it just seems the added smoke with the race tune was unburnt fuel and space that could have been better utilized with actual combustion. I usually daily drove it in the tow tune for that reason. That and considerably less smoke. But my biggest issue was the trans tuning from MRTuning. It'd get to the top of the gear and just hang at redline forever before shifting. I've been saying for a while now that I think a fully EPA intact GDE tune performs better than an MRTuning delete. I should say not only performs better, but is faster in a straight line.

I've got a bunch of 0-60 runs recorded from the MRTuning tune, I should be able to go back and confirm the performance differences between the tunes. I'll get out maybe tomorrow and record some 0-60 with the GDE afterlife tune. It's entirely possible the GDE tune feels faster but isn't.

I've got both ECMs here so I could theoretically swap them out quick and do back to back pulls somewhere for a truly apples to apples comparison
I am running the GDE EPA tune, but was considering the afterlife when the time is right. Does the afterlife generate noticeable soot? My location only tests for particulate count, with a sniffer in the pipe. If the afterlife is low soot, well that might change a few things....
 

BlueScapegoat

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Threads
14
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,854
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, 04 Forester XT, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
4
I am running the GDE EPA tune, but was considering the afterlife when the time is right. Does the afterlife generate noticeable soot? My location only tests for particulate count, with a sniffer in the pipe. If the afterlife is low soot, well that might change a few things....
It's going to produce more for sure, no way around that. As for how much, I haven't driven it enough and even once I have I don't have a good way to measure that in any meaningful way. No emissions testing where I am in liberal Minnesota.

When I do the 0-60 pulls I'll set up a camera outside of the vehicle to see how much smoke.
 

jc99

Well-Known Member
First Name
jc
Joined
Mar 26, 2019
Threads
15
Messages
190
Reaction score
131
Location
Vancouver
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Got my GDE afterlife ECM back and flashed the new transmission tune...

I've only driven it up and down the road but man the trans tune is so much better than the MRTuning calibration. Silky smooth, and no more slamming into first when I roll through a right turn.



I missed this comment originally...

With my SOTF MRTuning tune the race tune always felt slower to me than the street or tow tunes. I've done some gas tuning myself but I'm not nearly as familiar with diesel. But it just seems the added smoke with the race tune was unburnt fuel and space that could have been better utilized with actual combustion. I usually daily drove it in the tow tune for that reason. That and considerably less smoke. But my biggest issue was the trans tuning from MRTuning. It'd get to the top of the gear and just hang at redline forever before shifting. I've been saying for a while now that I think a fully EPA intact GDE tune performs better than an MRTuning delete. I should say not only performs better, but is faster in a straight line.

I've got a bunch of 0-60 runs recorded from the MRTuning tune, I should be able to go back and confirm the performance differences between the tunes. I'll get out maybe tomorrow and record some 0-60 with the GDE afterlife tune. It's entirely possible the GDE tune feels faster but isn't.

I've got both ECMs here so I could theoretically swap them out quick and do back to back pulls somewhere for a truly apples to apples comparison
Looking forward to seeing your timing comparisons between GDE and EOC. Which OEC tune did you already have numbers for?
 

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,567
Reaction score
3,348
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
GDE focuses on one tune. As somebody said earlier in the thread from their discourse with GDE, there is only one best tune. And that's what they sell.
That's correct. Keith believes in efficiency and longevity. His goal is to create the absolute best tune while maintaining all factory safety parameters. With the GDE tune, people should see 300,000-, 400,000-, and 500,000-mile engines. The highest mileage 2nd gen EcoDiesel running the GDE tune has over 612,000 miles on it.
 

Sponsored

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,567
Reaction score
3,348
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I am running the GDE EPA tune, but was considering the afterlife when the time is right. Does the afterlife generate noticeable soot? My location only tests for particulate count, with a sniffer in the pipe. If the afterlife is low soot, well that might change a few things....
Keep in mind, you can still run the DPF with the Afterlife Tune.
 

rharr

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 6, 2021
Threads
29
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2,908
Location
Tucson, AZ
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Keep in mind, you can still run the DPF with the Afterlife Tune.
Yes, but heard conflicting stories about it clogging, especially if you get rid of Def to. It would be nice to do a 4 link in the back but the Def has to go
 

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,567
Reaction score
3,348
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Yes, but heard conflicting stories about it clogging, especially if you get rid of Def to. It would be nice to do a 4 link in the back but the Def has to go
GDE's tune is already very clean. You can safely run the DPF with his tune. There are people with over 300,000 miles on the 2nd gen EcoDiesel just running the factory DPF. With the GDE tune, the truck doesn't regen very often.
 

RudeJeepin

Well-Known Member
First Name
Carl
Joined
May 6, 2022
Threads
6
Messages
1,826
Reaction score
2,855
Location
Washington
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Yes, but heard conflicting stories about it clogging, especially if you get rid of Def to. It would be nice to do a 4 link in the back but the Def has to go
Since the DEF is injected post DPF, there shouldn't be any difference.
Emissions compliant diesel exhaust go...DOC, EGR, DEF dosing, SCR, then maybe a muffler/resonator.
 
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dean
Joined
Jul 22, 2021
Threads
36
Messages
382
Reaction score
478
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
I am running the GDE EPA tune, but was considering the afterlife when the time is right. Does the afterlife generate noticeable soot? My location only tests for particulate count, with a sniffer in the pipe. If the afterlife is low soot, well that might change a few things....
Afterlife is just a name for vehicles that qualify for it. All the Eco Diesel tunes have the same max HP/TQ numbers. The difference is DPF and DEF. Afterlife has the options to delete or keep.
I’m running the GDE Afterlife, no DPF, no DEF. Straight pipe with universal CAT. Only notice exhaust soot WOT. Very similar to OEM factory. EOC was always noticeable. Visual and smell. WOT rolling coal. Not as bad as some.

Not sure it applies. I’ve got a lot to learn about diesel exhaust.
I installed the CAT do to excessive exhaust smell with EOC.
I had concerns of clogging, due to EOC input. When switching to GDE I asked about CAT. GDE encouraged the continued use of CAT. Assured me absolutely no concerns with clogging up. FWIW
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
 







Top