Genesis dual battery issues

zy1337

First Name
Zy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Yes I called Genesis and got it worked out. in the install video it tells you to take one of the negative wires and disconnect/stow it away. However, this is not correct. You have to leave it attached and/or reattach it. Once I did that everything worked fine. Hope that helps!
thanks, I think they should edit their install video, made the same mistake today. Luckily this forum was here to help.
Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I did however have to turn off auto-stop as it caused issues after maybe 6 auto-start-stops where I received an error message on the dash.
Normal for others reading this ... this error clears at the next start up. The system has a six count for some odd reason?

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I havent installed the dual battery system yet, but eliminated my AUX battery. Wired the same as the Genesis system. On my 2020 the ground from the AUX was easily traced back to the main battery. This negative was isolated and tucked away matching Genesis's original instructional and all works fine. It must have been 2021 when the wiring changed?

teddo

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Yes I called Genesis and got it worked out. in the install video it tells you to take one of the negative wires and disconnect/stow it away. However, this is not correct. You have to leave it attached and/or reattach it. Once I did that everything worked fine. Hope that helps!
@jscott Are you talking about the negative wire that went to the ESS aux battery? If so, where did you end up attaching it on the Genesis system?

Did @Genesis Offroad give you any indication if this has happened to other folks? I just installed mine on my JL last night and have a similar situation. No power at all the the car, so I’m trying to retrace my steps to find a solution. Going through and checking all of the fuses is my next step, but will be a bit of a chore for sure.

oscarach

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
@jscott Are you talking about the negative wire that went to the ESS aux battery? If so, where did you end up attaching it on the Genesis system?

Did @Genesis Offroad give you any indication if this has happened to other folks? I just installed mine on my JL last night and have a similar situation. No power at all the the car, so I’m trying to retrace my steps to find a solution. Going through and checking all of the fuses is my next step, but will be a bit of a chore for sure.
In their install video for the JL just after 18:27 they say to remove a negative cable the connects to the small battery from the negative shunt while you are reconfiguring it to reach the negative terminal, that negative cable from the small battery needs to stay attached on the newer gladiator. Just put it back in the same place on the negative shunt as you removed it from.
When I spoke to them last year about that they said it was a know issue due to a change in the configuration for 2021 models and that they would be updating the instructions or FAQ, but looks like they did not.

Sponsored

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
In their install video for the JL just after 18:27 they say to remove a negative cable the connects to the small battery from the negative shunt while you are reconfiguring it to reach the negative terminal, that negative cable from the small battery needs to stay attached on the newer gladiator. Just put it back in the same place on the negative shunt as you removed it from.
When I spoke to them last year about that they said it was a know issue due to a change in the configuration for 2021 models and that they would be updating the instructions or FAQ, but looks like they did not.
I am getting ready to do one on a 22 Gladiator, I am following you on reattaching, but where did you reattach the negative to ? It is not my intention to sound dumb, but electrical is not my strong suit. All in all on a scale of 1-10 how difficult was it .. I have watched the video, but that is not like hands on. I have watched video's on things where they had everything prepped to film and it looks like a piece of cake, and then turns out to be a pain in the a** The Gladiator is my only source of transportation, and I am leery of being stranded while I have to trouble shoot problems.

oscarach

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I am getting ready to do one on a 22 Gladiator, I am following you on reattaching, but where did you reattach the negative to ? It is not my intention to sound dumb, but electrical is not my strong suit. All in all on a scale of 1-10 how difficult was it .. I have watched the video, but that is not like hands on. I have watched video's on things where they had everything prepped to film and it looks like a piece of cake, and then turns out to be a pain in the a** The Gladiator is my only source of transportation, and I am leery of being stranded while I have to trouble shoot problems.
if you have not already done the install then just after 18:27 in the video they say to remove a negative cable that connects to the small battery from the negative shunt while you are reconfiguring it to reach the negative terminal. just don't remove that cable when they tell you to, then you wont have to reattach it.
the install was not too bad took about 1.5 hours the first time then when it did not work I took it out and reinstalled it :)
you do loose a lot of space and if you are going to use a switchpros you will need the cable extension kit to mount it on the drivers side as there is not enough space on next to the battery after the genesis install.

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
if you have not already done the install then just after 18:27 in the video they say to remove a negative cable that connects to the small battery from the negative shunt while you are reconfiguring it to reach the negative terminal. just don't remove that cable when they tell you to, then you wont have to reattach it.
the install was not too bad took about 1.5 hours the first time then when it did not work I took it out and reinstalled it :)
you do loose a lot of space and if you are going to use a switchpros you will need the cable extension kit to mount it on the drivers side as there is not enough space on next to the battery after the genesis install.
Thanks for the reply, I am going to pull the trigger and order the kit and batteries, in the meantime I will school myself on the video. Thanks again

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
When my batteries fail in 2-3 years I will be looking at this mod for sure. Should be perfected by then.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
When my batteries fail in 2-3 years I will be looking at this mod for sure. Should be perfected by then.
I'm hoping they will have the diesel version ready by then.

Sponsored

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
Some one should have told the JT designers that batteries do fail. When they fail on a JT in the middle of no where there should be an easy way to deal with it. But it's not easy. Even the use of an emergency jump battery might not work. Would be great if Jeep would have some kind of emergency jump start procedure somewhere. Getting a tow to a dealer isn't always possible with an Overlanding vehicle. Maybe Jeep Cares could do some research on this.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Jeep Cares does not care. Is there even one documented case where they actually delivered a tangible results?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Cares does not care. Is there even one documented case where they actually delivered a tangible results?
Jeep Cares assisted me with some issues. They are a facilitator. They don't do research, get involved in technical issues, or post results. The bulk of their posting here is telling members to send them a private message if assistance is needed.

Deleted member 28696

After having to replace my Aux Start / Stop battery once a couple of months ago & now it's dead again. I ended up ordering the Genesis Dual Battery system today. My noco battery jump starts the JTR but when you remove it the engine stops and will not keep running. I assume my Start Stop Battery is ruined once again. My JTR hasn't moved in a couple of weeks, but I did start it a few days ago and got it up to 3,000 RPM for a bit. I went out and tried a couple of days ago and nothing dead as a doornail. Had to open my Jeep with the key. I have a KC Gravity light bar with the SPOD BANTAM-X it does have a 2 amp draw but I wouldn't think it would draw down the AUX battery so far that it ruins it where it won't take a jump or hold the charge. I hope this Genesis system works as advertised and I won't have this issue again. I also purchased two Fullriver Full Throttle Series Group 25 Batteries that work with this system. Haven't heard of these batteries before I hope they are good. I could have had it repaired again under warranty, but it would just happen again if it sits for too long, and they would blame after-market accessories, which they may not be wrong. It's just kind of bad that you have to keep pouring money into an expensive vehicle that it's systems should be more robust and handle some aftermarket accessories etc. I still love the Jeep Gladiator, but it is kind of frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

G.Myers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Small water systems operator
I had a similar problem on my 2021 Gladiator. It didn't make sense what the install video was showing me and what I was seeing. So I did as the poster said and it started it up. Unfortunately I drove it for 30 minutes and it just died while driving it. I had to actually use the emergency pull rope to disengage the transmission to get it on the tow truck. I had it towed to the nearest Jeep dealership and he explained that the whole electrical fuse box had died and all the fuses shorted out. Luckily Los Angeles parts warehouse had a brand new one in stock. The only thing is, the parts guy told me why would they have had that in stock when my Gladiator was a 2021 and I had installed the Genesis in late 2020. I am real hesitant in re-installing again. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or was this a one in a million fluke problem.
Sponsored