Genesis off Road JL dual battery probably works with JT

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yup. I've got a NOCO. I love those. They are great, everyone should have one in addition to whatever they're doing.

That solves the problem of your battery not being able to crank to start the engine. It doesn't necessarily solve the issue of your battery not be able to hold a charge because it has been discharged too many times.

It all depends on what you are running off of your battery and when. If it's only when the truck is running, than you're fine. If you aren't adding accessories, than you're also fine. The NOCO will be a sufficient insurance policy.
But if you're at camp, running some lights regularly, a fridge regularly, things like that - the NOCO will only get you out of trouble a couple of times before the stock battery is toast.
I'll be running an inverter generator when stationary, and again, I'm not disparaging it, I have had many vehicles with dual battery systems (requisite on diesel).

The weight here is the biggest thing for me, and I will admit to having been lulled into some degree of complacency by the reliability of batteries these days.

Nonetheless, I'll be using my Gladiator as a long distance commuter (+/- 4k one way) a cross some relatively uninhabited territory, and I well understand the value of redundancy.

Thanks very much for your efforts and candor, I'll look forward to hearing more.
Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Goal Zero is the bomb diggity. A portable power station is on my wish list. I see this as an add-on to the dual battery kit.

The added benefit of a Goal Zero is it's portable AND it has a solar hookup right on it. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a 3000 as emergency power for my house AND throwing it in the back of the truck for long trips.
You Sir are out of control!! :giggle: :captain:. Thank you for testing the kit

I am going to buy and install the Genesis dual battery kit but not the Goal Zero 3000 - I shall deal with it later if I decide to build out a camper on top of the bed with a fridge etc LOL

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Goal Zero is the bomb diggity. A portable power station is on my wish list. I see this as an add-on to the dual battery kit.
The kit is making sure my vehicle electronics are good. Anything permanently installed to the vehicle will have the power it needs, motor on, or motor off.
The power station would be for the camping extras - like the coffee/espresso maker, toaster, etc. Stuff that isn't permanently installed, but I still want to run when I'm camping.

The added benefit of a Goal Zero is it's portable AND it has a solar hookup right on it. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a 3000 as emergency power for my house AND throwing it in the back fo the truck for long trips.
Dammit boy, Stephen Hawking wasn't as committed to maintaining mobile electricity as you are!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Plus, when the truck is running, I could just plug the Goal Zero into the bed outlet to charge it while driving from one location to another
this would be highly inefficient. I mean it'll work, but much better to run heavy gauge 12V to the bed to charge from alternator. unless goal zero can't charge like that.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The kit is making sure my vehicle electronics are good. Anything permanently installed to the vehicle will have the power it needs, motor on, or motor off.
The power station would be for the camping extras - like the coffee/espresso maker, toaster, etc. Stuff that isn't permanently installed, but I still want to run when I'm camping.

The added benefit of a Goal Zero is it's portable AND it has a solar hookup right on it. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a 3000 as emergency power for my house AND throwing it in the back fo the truck for long trips.
then there's stuff like this, i saw on a norweld youtube video.

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/enerdrive-epower-b-tec-200ah-lithium-battery-pack.html

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dammit boy, Stephen Hawking wasn't as committed to maintaining mobile electricity as you are!
a Tesla joke would have been better. =P

its possible this would be a great idea. Most of us wouldn't benefit from a huge ass lithium battery just for overlanding, but if It was dual purposed and provided some battery electricity for the home coupled with a solar panel, you would get more use out of it. Gotta find out about energy tax credits for that sort of thing in your area. :like:

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, Tesla didn't have a power scooter
Lol, duhhh. Forgot about that. Now your joke makes more sense to me...... Little slow on the uptake.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I've run fridges in my Jeeps and trucks for more than 20 years. I had the Genesis kit in my '13 Rubicon and really liked it. When I traded it for the '16 Canyon, I decided to go with an ArkPak containing a lightweight 100Ah LiFePO4 battery to power the fridge in the bed of the truck...and also ran an 8-gauge wire direct from the battery to a receptacle in the bed so I could also use the truck's electrical system. I haven't yet decided which route I'll take with the Gladiator. If I keep the fridge in the bed, I may stay with the ArkPak, but will need to weatherproof it somehow. I'm considering the Bestop truck topper thing, which will hopefully be available sometime soon. It's too bad Jeep didn't provide a 12-volt receptacle in the bed.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
The stock battery does not get reused. It gets removed and replaced by two Group 25 batteries (in my case I used Odyssey batteries).
The stock battery is 75Ah with 700 CCA. Each Odyssey battery is 65ah and 850 CCA.

Stock battery:

2x Group 25 Batteries in the same amount of space:
IMG_0806.JPG
Are odyssey better than optima?
I have one Odyssey that is about 15 years old, gives me 12.5 v at full charge. Its sister was installed in a Ram 3500 when its battery failed. The Ram was supposed to have 2 batteries and my friend who bought it used found only one, that lasted a few months. So I gave him one of my Odyssey Grp 31, its the only battery in the truck and has been starting the big diesel for the past 3 years and at 15 years old still cranking.

Better than an Optima...take it to the bank!

Moab, Utah, 21 May, '08 Cliff Hanger Trail, side trail to an observation point overlooking the Colorado River.

Weather was bad and getting worse, cold, raining and the temp had plunged from 98 to the low 50's daytime. It was the last trail of the day and we were on a side trail for the overlook in spite of poor pic taking.

The key is turned in my ole Jeep and nary a light, click or buzz was seen or heard. WTF!? Suddenly this is not looking good and its raining harder. 3 guys are crawling over the opened hood wriggling, pulling, pushing and hammering on wires and starters to fix or isolate the problem.

BAD CELL on a 3 mo old Optima battery! I go to store and exchange it for another new Optima, get it home and installed and NOTHING...take it back, BAD CELL again. Ordered Odyssey.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So @ralphjjr - regarding the install did you just follow the installation steps for the JL and did you have to do anything different for the JT? Do you plan on giving us a write up of your install or you think the installation video is sufficient? Thanks!

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited