Sponsored

Get 4 New 37's, Keep Using Factory 33 Spare?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Are you factoring in new wheels into the discussion and thought process? The factory 7.5" wide wheels are not going to work with most 37" tire sizes
Sponsored

Stormtroopin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
Nice looking rig and that tire choice seems to be popular.

Were you able to get the spare in without modifying anything, like the track bar?
I went straight to 35s after driving off the dealer lot and after about a week I was kicking myself for not going 37s. I got a sweet deal on some raptor take offs from my tire guy and found a spare for 100 on offer up.BFG ko2 37s are all over OfferUp and yes they fit under the truck in the spare tire location.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
+1 to all the previous comments saying you can get a 37" tire under the bed. I have 37" Toyo R/T's and the spare fits fine if I drop the air pressure down to 20#.

You should really consider not having a dealer do your tires. Places like Discount Tire will help you manage your tire's warranty, road damage, etc. but I have yet to find a dealer that would do much related to tires after the fact. It's not their "business" and so they typically avoid dealing with it once the tires are sold. However, places like Discount Tire, Big O, Firestone, etc. are focused on tires and will bend over backwards to help their tire customers.

RaleighRubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting Grey Gladiator Rubicon
Are you factoring in new wheels into the discussion and thought process? The factory 7.5" wide wheels are not going to work with most 37" tire sizes
I believe I read that people were mounting 37 X12.50R17 BFG ATs to the factory spare. Can anyone confirm that?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I believe I read that people were mounting 37 X12.50R17 BFG ATs to the factory spare. Can anyone confirm that?
One can buy a 8.5"-9.0" wide steel wheel for like $100 and not worry about being on a non-recommended rim width with the factory steel wheel. That is what I did with my 2020 Gladiator.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
You can use a 33 as a spare just fine. Just stay out of 4wd and put it passenger front, the front passenger is disconnected in 2wd thanks to the fad so you will just get some abs lights from the wheel speed sensors.
It may be disconnected at the transfer case, but your axles are still connected to your differential. 12% bigger tires mean your axles are spinning at 12% different speed inside your diff. Over an interstate trek this will most likely overheat your diff.

Putting a different sized spare on a non-driven wheel only works if that wheel is never driven, not just currently disconnected from the transmission. At least if we're talking about long distance here. But OP is asking about interstate limping.

Last edited:

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
It may be disconnected at the transfer case, but your axles are still connected to your differential. 12% bigger tires mean your axles are spinning at 12% different speed inside your diff. Over an interstate trek this will most likely overheat your diff.

Putting a different sized spare on a non-driven wheel only works if that wheel is never driven, not just currently disconnected from the transmission. At least if we're talking about long distance here. But OP is asking about interstate limping.
That's not how a fad works. Your passenger front is not connected to your differential if in 2wd as the front is a 2 piece axle shaft that only engages in 4wd. That's literally the whole point of the fad, to disconnect the wheel from the differential so that not even the front drive shaft spins, just the spider gear from the driver front spinning.

Could drive cross country at 100 on that (big) donut and as long as in 2wd not ever have to worry about it damaging anything.

OP
OP
guntrust

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
I know it's possible to find a 37 that will go on a 7.5 rim. While that would be less weight, cheaper than buying new rims, and perhaps adequate in snow, my main reason for upgrading is better all around traction, particularly on sand. So I will go with range of 8.5-11" rims (based on 12.5" section width), whatever is recommended for the specific tire, but was hoping to save money if the factory 33 with factory rim would be usable as a spare if left intact.

Last edited:

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I know it's possible to find a 37 that will go on a 7.5 rim. While that would be less weight, cheaper than buying new rims, and perhaps adequate in snow, my main reason for upgrading is better all around traction, particularly on sand. So I will go with 12.5 rims, but was hoping to save money if the factory 33 with factory rim would be usable as a spare if left intact.
You can, the 33 works fine just make sure it's front passenger and 2wd only. You could drive from Alaska to Argentina on it and not damage anything as long as it's front passenger and 2wd.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OP
OP
guntrust

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
You can, the 33 works fine just make sure it's front passenger and 2wd only. You could drive from Alaska to Argentina on it and not damage anything as long as it's front passenger and 2wd.
So if the flat occurs offroad, in a spot where 4wd is necessary, using 4wd may cause damage even if terrain is soft?

Necessary to go in 2wd and be pulled out with straps?

Sounds like going with five 37's (and whatever mods may be required) might be better, despite the cost/weight savings of using factory 33 as spare.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
So if the flat occurs offroad, in a spot where 4wd is necessary, using 4wd may cause damage even if terrain is soft?

Necessary to go in 2wd and be pulled out with straps?

Sounds like going with five 37's (and whatever mods may be required) might be better, despite the cost/weight savings of using factory 33 as spare.
Slow speed unlocked for short distances you would be fine as well since the spider gears will take care of it.

For best results a full size spare is always better. I ran a 33 with my 37s with the understanding of the limitations and was fine with it, I also don't wheel alone though.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
12.5” rims? Sorry if I’m ignorant but wouldn’t a 9-10” be plenty. I do tend to agree get a similar same size or exact same tire on a steel cheap rim if not doing the five tire rotation….Jack

OP
OP
guntrust

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
12.5” rims? Sorry if I’m ignorant but wouldn’t a 9-10” be plenty. I do tend to agree get a similar same size or exact same tire on a steel cheap rim if not doing the five tire rotation….Jack
Yes, thanks i noticed the mistake and edited that post.

Still much to learn about tires, 12.50 is section width (distance between sidewalls) and 8.5-11" is generally recommended rim width, depending on specific tire.

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Milestar patagonia 37x12.50 17 fits under the bed only when deflated to almost 0 psi
Sponsored