Sponsored

Gladiator gas octane?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
There’s not an issue running a higher octane gas, there’s just no benefit.
It is throwing money away.

only exception might be towing a HEAVY load in the summertime when it’s really hot.
Sponsored

Vincent

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I have been running 89.
Our JL with the 3.6 pings/knocks on 87, particularly in the heat and off-roading.
I hated that, so I run 89 in both.

I guess I should try 87 in the Gladiator.
i run 89 now as well... for me 87 pings and 89 seems to sound/run "smoother". no difference in mpg's for me.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If your engine is not tuned for a higher octane fuel there is no benefit and you could potentially not burn up all the fuel leading to a slight drop in gas mileage and increase in pollution and fuel deposits.

Higher octane gas is not cleaner and does not make more power. In fact higher octane gas has less energy per gallon. What it does have is a higher resistance to combustion. This allows high performance cars to run more aggressive settings and squeeze more of the power out of a gallon of fuel. but if you don't run those more aggressive settings you see no benefit.

Ethanol also has less energy per gallon then gas, but like higher octane gas is resistant to combustion and lets you run more aggressive settings and squeeze more power out. Ethanol also is harder on certain internal engine components like seals if they are made out of the wrong material. Older cars may see more frequent maintenance needs when running ethanol but newer cars build the engines with materials that do not wear faster when exposed to ethanol. The biggest issue with ethanol is that it absorbs water, so in a vehicle used in the water like a boat or that sits like a collector car or power tools it can create all kinds of problems like gummed up carburetors. But in a newer normal functioning car that is driven frequently ethanol is fine, but you may see a slight drop in mpg (like 3ish% drop in gas mileage when running 15% ethanol) because it does have less energy per gallon.

So run the octane your vehicle calls for (87 for Gladiators) and don't worry about ethanol unless you plan to let the truck sit all winter.
This is the best summary of all the questions raised, in my opinion at least. Thank you.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Last edited:

Sponsored

Vincent

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
what do folks mean about "ping"
ya, so mine sometimes sounds like it has a knock tin can sound. I guess best way I can explain by my own experience. Not loud but just annoying.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I have a 2010 Yamaha outboard. I can only run gas with no ethanol.
As for any vehicle... 87 octane with 10% ethanol has been fine.
Apples and oranges trying to compare small engines with car/truck

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
It's more a comparison of use. Your outboard, and all small engines like two-cycles, mowers, generators, quads, ski-doos, etc., are used less frequently. Sitting is the killer. In all autos, they are used all the time and the fuel is replenished more often. Ethanol is really just the bane of engines not used very often. The gas goes bad and turns to lacquer normally, the ethanol expedites the breakdown and draws moisture out of atmosphere, including the air in your fuel tank. As for the octane level, that's a different matter. Octane is just where the ignition is more efficient, it's technically not cleaner or more powerful, but any preignition knocking is never good as it wears on valve train components by fighting their timing. Most modern autos' compooters compensate but your ear needs to tell you what's right. Fighting that process will always diminish performance.

So, in short, use the lowest octane where the engine doesn't knock, use name brand fuels like Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc. as the ma-and-pa's buy the crap, and if you intend to store any engine over 30-45 days then use a fuel stabilizer.

Pauliboy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Fence Contractor
There’s not an issue running a higher octane gas, there’s just no benefit.
It is throwing money away.

only exception might be towing a HEAVY load in the summertime when it’s really hot.
I use E10 here in Australia which is 94 octane. I am struggling to get below 20L/100km which equates to 11.76 US mpg. I don't drive erratically. Most of the driving is around town at around 50 - 60 km/h. I find the gearing seems to hold the revs too high also. On a long trip cannot get below 15L/100km or 15.68 US mpg. Any tips would be appreciated.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Ethanol is a beautiful fuel! Increases the octane and resists knock/ping/detonation.
If you’re tuned for it, it’s awesome!
Love E85, Race gas for cheap.
Only downsides are its corrosive to fuel lines and O-rings if not made for it. Also gets crap for mileage.
I get really bad mileage when I drive my E85 car cause I have a lead foot. 700whp will do that to a person.

Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
87 in both the Gladiator and wrangler without problems.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
use name brand fuels like Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc. as the ma-and-pa's buy the crap, and if you intend to store any engine over 30-45 days then use a fuel stabilizer.
Gasoline is pretty well regulated nowadays in the US so this just isn't true anymore. In fact the unbranded gas stations buy the same gas as the branded gas stations, they just aren't locked into any one brand so they can buy from whoever is selling cheapest today. So John Doe's Gas N Stuff might buy from Exxon on Monday and Shell on Tuesday but they are getting the same gas that is being sold at Exxon or Shell.

Where you may run into issues with smaller lower volume owner operator stations is with maintenance on the pumps and tanks. Filters might not get changed as often, leaks might get ignored, stuff like that. But that goes for both branded and unbranded gas stations. You are less likely to run into issues at a Wawa or a Sheetz (unbranded) then some hole in the wall Sunoco or Exxon (branded). Busier, well maintained stores are more likely to be taking care of things you can't see. So don't look at the name on the gas sign, look at the condition of the facilities.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I use E10 here in Australia which is 94 octane. I am struggling to get below 20L/100km which equates to 11.76 US mpg. I don't drive erratically. Most of the driving is around town at around 50 - 60 km/h. I find the gearing seems to hold the revs too high also. On a long trip cannot get below 15L/100km or 15.68 US mpg. Any tips would be appreciated.
Seems awfully low. Maybe have dealer check it out? Especially since you say it does not seem to upshift properly. (I assume you have an automatic).

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I've always heard the gas is all the same, because it has to meet government mandated specs. Yet why is it I get mixed results with different gas stations? I don't think it's all in my head. I have two stations close by to chose from. Sheetz, and AC&T which sells EXXON. I love Sheetz as a convenience store, but It seems I have to refuel more often than when I buy from Exxon. So, I choose Exxon most often. Plus they ripped everything out during the summer and replaced the storage tanks and installed brand new pumps, so it should be clean.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I've always heard the gas is all the same, because it has to meet government mandated specs. Yet why is it I get mixed results with different gas stations? I don't think it's all in my head. I have two stations close by to chose from. Sheetz, and AC&T which sells EXXON. I love Sheetz as a convenience store, but It seems I have to refuel more often than when I buy from Exxon. So, I choose Exxon most often. Plus they ripped everything out during the summer and replaced the storage tanks and installed brand new pumps, so it should be clean.
It could be any one of a million things. Gas mileage varies depending on so many factors like how fast you drive, how aggressively you accelerate, how much weight is in the vehicle, etc. So unless you tracked mileage along with what you did in between fill ups there is no way to know if there is something specific to that gas station or if it is just that you tend to stop at one place before doing fuel efficient tasks more often.

Also you said fill up more often instead of get worse gas mileage, so could it be just not filling your tank up as much at one station? The auto shut off is more sensitive at some stations then at others, and that can make a gallon or 2 difference and make a noticeable impact on range.
Sponsored