First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Living the dream
Is there a roof rack that can support 165 pound RTT? I'm not worried about being able to take the top off with it on, just something sound and secure that does not require any drilling. I came across this and I think this should do the trick but to be honest I am completely new to this whole concept and to Jeeps in general.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-off...-door-wrangler-jl-2-door-gladiator-jt-RRJL-02

I'm leaning towards the roof option if its possible as I don't want to have to remove my bakflip mx4 tonneau and the tent I'm looking at is a 4 person so it would need to be sit above the roof line.
Sponsored

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
Are you not planning on sleeping in the tent? 200lbs capacity stated. What you need to know is static and moving/dynamic load capacities. Most RTT capable racks will list both values.

Stsdroog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 JT Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Is there a roof rack that can support 165 pound RTT? I'm not worried about being able to take the top off with it on, just something sound and secure that does not require any drilling. I came across this and I think this should do the trick but to be honest I am completely new to this whole concept and to Jeeps in general.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-off...-door-wrangler-jl-2-door-gladiator-jt-RRJL-02

I'm leaning towards the roof option if its possible as I don't want to have to remove my bakflip mx4 tonneau and the tent I'm looking at is a 4 person so it would need to be sit above the roof line.
Check out the gobi. It has an 300 lbs dynamic and 800 lbs static load rating that should allow you quite a bit of wiggle room on your RTT selection. They do require the OEM trail rails.

Also, I have a 4 man RTT and the likelihood of that fitting on your above cab roof rack is slim. The overhang on either the front or the back may be outside of the manufacture mounting specifications. Just a few things to think about.

https://www.gobiracks.com/product/jeep-gladiator-stealth-rack·-multi-light-setup/

Last edited:

alwhite

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Honda Element
Occupation
Librarian
was in the same situation. I went as far as purchasing a gutter mount crossbar system after speaking with the manufacturer, once I got it on the jeep, I knew there was no way I was putting my tent up there. I bit the bullet and ordered a Gobi. In the mean time, I made a super strut crossbar system that fits in the trail rail for about $50.

I'm in charlotte too. If you haven't decided by the end of feb/early march, you can come check it out in person. Assuming their lead time estimation is correct.

born4boats

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Merchant Mariner
was in the same situation. I went as far as purchasing a gutter mount crossbar system after speaking with the manufacturer, once I got it on the jeep, I knew there was no way I was putting my tent up there. I bit the bullet and ordered a Gobi. In the mean time, I made a super strut crossbar system that fits in the trail rail for about $50.

I'm in charlotte too. If you haven't decided by the end of feb/early march, you can come check it out in person. Assuming their lead time estimation is correct.
hey I know this is old, but how did you make crossbars for the trail rail? I have a bed rack on order but it may not be here in time for our first RTT planned camping trip at the end of March. Wondering how I could make something (not good looking but functional) for this trip to hold a static weight of around 600lbs

Sponsored

alwhite

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Honda Element
Occupation
Librarian
hey I know this is old, but how did you make crossbars for the trail rail? I have a bed rack on order but it may not be here in time for our first RTT planned camping trip at the end of March. Wondering how I could make something (not good looking but functional) for this trip to hold a static weight of around 600lbs
I just grabbed some super strut from the hardware store and some L brackets. Add in some T bolts that fit trail rail and you're all set.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the gobi. It has an 300 lbs dynamic and 800 lbs static load rating that should allow you quite a bit of wiggle room on your RTT selection. They do require the OEM trail rails.

Also, I have a 4 man RTT and the likelihood of that fitting on your above cab roof rack is slim. The overhang on either the front or the back may be outside of the manufacture mounting specifications. Just a few things to think about.

https://www.gobiracks.com/product/jeep-gladiator-stealth-rack·-multi-light-setup/
I've had the ARS Overcab Rack system on my JT since Nov 22. It has a 300lb Dynamic and 600lb static. Didn't like the way the Gobi presses against the cab. But like you said, with the size of a RTT, over the cab might not be the best location for a RTT.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I purchased a RLD camper (not sure they're in business anymore) for this reason. They have a 700 pound dynamic load rating, and I bolted my tent directly to the canopy.

But here is the thing. The canopy can hold that weight - but how is the canopy held to the truck??? This is something I have been thinking about lately. The trail rail systems are what most canopies are bolted to - and those are held onto the bed of the truck by 5 or 6 (each rail) dinky bolts that screw into rivet nuts of super thin sheet metal. - one forum member already showed a while ago how his in bed tire carrier ripped a hole through the side of the bed since he had a 38 inch tire attached to it.

So I would be less concerned about the canopy/rack, and more concerned about how it mounts to the bed. As long as a canopy you choose has at least a dynamic rating of what your tent weighs.

That being said since you are talking about roof racks - I am pretty sure that MOPAR advises no more than 150 pounds of weight is attached to the roof. So mounting to the actual roof is ill-advised.
Sponsored