Sponsored

GMRS users

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
Not correct, per Midland "Transmissions that do not have the correct tone are not heard." It's channel and code (142 of them) the code create the privacy. However the point is to have uninterrupted communication. I don't care who hears what I am saying. If someone is using the privacy code (tone) and same chanel in the same 50 miles or so, yes they can communicate and hear. But really when will that happen, and you can always hange channels or codes.
ā€œTransmissions that do not have the correct tone are not heardā€ā€¦by you, the person that has the tone activated. You cannot transmit a message that canā€™t be heard by other people. A privacy code on your radio set to channel 1 squelch 142 forced your radio to ignore all transmissions on channel 1 that are not coded with tone 142. Anyone else on channel 1 with 0 code selected can hear all transmissions on that channel.

https://www.k0tfu.org/reference/frs-gmrs-privacy-codes-demystified.html

ā€œIn other words, squelch just tells your radio what to listen for, it has nothing to do with what is transmitted.

You can test this out for yourself if you have two FRS/GMRS radios. Set them both to the same channel, and then set one of them to use privacy code 5. Turn off the privacy code, or set it to 0, on the other radio. When you transmit on the radio with privacy code 5, you will still be able to hear the transmission on the radio with the privacy codes off. But when you transmit on the radio with the privacy codes off, the radio set to privacy code 5 won't be able to hear. It's not that the transmission wasn't sent, it's just that the radio is ignoring all transmissions without privacy code 5.ā€
Sponsored

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
ā€œTransmissions that do not have the correct tone are not heardā€ā€¦by you, the person that has the tone activated. You cannot transmit a message that canā€™t be heard by other people. A privacy code on your radio set to channel 1 squelch 142 forced your radio to ignore all transmissions on channel 1 that are not coded with tone 142. Anyone else on channel 1 with 0 code selected can hear all transmissions on that channel.

ā€œIn other words, squelch just tells your radio what to listen for, it has nothing to do with what is transmitted.

You can test this out for yourself if you have two FRS/GMRS radios. Set them both to the same channel, and then set one of them to use privacy code 5. Turn off the privacy code, or set it to 0, on the other radio. When you transmit on the radio with privacy code 5, you will still be able to hear the transmission on the radio with the privacy codes off. But when you transmit on the radio with the privacy codes off, the radio set to privacy code 5 won't be able to hear. It's not that the transmission wasn't sent, it's just that the radio is ignoring all transmissions without privacy code 5.ā€
again, conveying uninterrupted communication that is the intended effect.

scotman623

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy LT TrailBoss Very well built
Occupation
Retired DOD
Iā€™m going to pay the $35 dollars and forget about it.. Guess I will just have to skip 1 day at the bar having a few drinksā€¦ I do enough things that push the limits of illegal, guess I will do this the correct way.. Donā€™t want Big Brother kicking my doors down in the middle of the night..

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer

Yup, this is exactly how this works. You can select any Midland privacy code and I can still hear every word you say with a $14 bubble pack radio set for no privacy code.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
Yup, this is exactly how this works. You can select any Midland privacy code and I can still hear every word you say with a $14 bubble pack radio set for no privacy code.
User name checks out.

Sponsored

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
The only exception that comes to mind is if your in the GMRS channels that the FRS radios don't pick up... 15-21 if i recall correctly.

I too chose to get the license and be done with it. Small price to pay for lack of any stress about it.

OP
OP
Minty JL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Filed for my FRN and license yesterday and got it today

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
What user name? What checks out?
ā€œUsername Checks Out is a common catchphraseused online to point out when someone makes a comment that seems to complement their online handle. For example, it might be used if someone with the handle "ilovepasta" makes the comment ā€™spaghetti is amazing.ā€™ā€

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
What user name? What checks out?
Sorry man, no offense meant. It is just a silly internet joke. Since your user name is ā€œradio guyā€ and youā€™re posting correct info about radio use, hence your username is accurate as to your interest in this topic.

Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Sorry man, no offense meant. It is just a silly internet joke. Since your user name is ā€œradio guyā€ and youā€™re posting correct info about radio use, hence your username is accurate as to your interest in this topic.
But, but... my user name is from my local radio station I listen to here that plays nothing but 70s disco. What does that have to do with ham radio or GMRS?

;)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I got my GMRS ticket back when it was still being charged $70.Ā°Ā° in N. AL. I've not heard much traffic on GMRS channels. I went full stupid on vehicle radio and have 4 H.H. Baofeng's. Dang it I got to recharge them.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
I am a GMRS enjoyer and got my license back when it was $70. I bought a Radioddity handheld (per NotaRubicon YT channel review) with a hand mic attached and It's perfectly fine for off-road use. No one in San Diego on the trails and in the desert is broadcasting their call sign when they "sign on"/"sign off" channels or every 15 minutes between transmissions. It's all rogue Baofeng and Rugged Radio users in side-by-side chaos on the airwaves. šŸ˜œ

There are no black silent helicopters triangulating us that I can see here.

OP
OP
Minty JL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am a GMRS enjoyer and got my license back when it was $70. I bought a Radioddity handheld (per NotaRubicon YT channel review) with a hand mic attached and It's perfectly fine for off-road use. No one in San Diego on the trails and in the desert is broadcasting their call sign when they "sign on"/"sign off" channels or every 15 minutes between transmissions. It's all rogue Baofeng and Rugged Radio users in side-by-side chaos on the airwaves. šŸ˜œ

There are no black silent helicopters triangulating us that I can see here.
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.......almost like insurance

OP
OP
Minty JL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got the antenna mounted, coax run and radio mounted. Waiting on the Quadratec power cable. I used the existing center console mounting point with some SS hardware I had on hand.

I'm super anal with running cable and wiring.

There is just enough slack in the rear window where I was able to snake the coax through so I didn't have to run it under the truck. Behind the back seat I just need some command clips to have it all tidy to my liking.

Pics or it never happened right.

PXL_20230205_215610211.jpg

PXL_20230205_214648730.jpg

PXL_20230205_214534069.jpg

PXL_20230205_214530234.jpg

PXL_20230205_214626741.jpg

PXL_20230205_215510017.jpg
Sponsored