Sponsored

Gorilla Glass pricing?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Safelite would’ve done it for me, but the tech pointed out that when gg breaks the pieces are more fractal, like a traditional window pane breaking. Not like when a tempered windshield crumbles into manageable and pretty harmless pieces.

That was a good point, IMO, and something I don’t wanna deal with. I went OEM
All windshields are laminated with a gooey layer of clear rubbery plastic in between 2 layers of tempered glass.

I would be that for cost reasons the inside layer is not GG. There's no reason for it to be. So anything you hit will be standard safety glass.
Sponsored

Zswickliffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon
All windshields are laminated with a gooey layer of clear rubbery plastic in between 2 layers of tempered glass.

I would be that for cost reasons the inside layer is not GG. There's no reason for it to be. So anything you hit will be standard safety glass.
Not to be pedantic, but front windshields aren't tempered "safety" glass generally. They don't need to be since they have the laminate layer so the broken pieces are held together.

It's why front windshields crack, while side windows shatter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard some people successfully getting the GG upgrade when going through their insurance. YRMV
It all depends on where you live, your insurance company, and the specific policy you have.
There is NO RULE that says "they will do this" or "they won't do that" and only some states set how insurance companies handle windshields.
There is no national law or rule. You may have a $500 deductible, you may have 0, you may have 100. It all depends. So no one can tell anyone how it works - you just can't. Check your own personal policy.
In our case, the deductible is different between my wife's Jeep and my Jeep. That proves it's not even based on location or company - it varies with POLICY in many cases.

This bit about people saying "they will" or "they should" is just not possible.

READ YOUR POLICY - and if you haven't looked at it - well, I won't say it - it will piss some folks off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most car insurance has full glass with no bump in rates.
NO IT DOES NOT. You can't say "most". You have not seen "most" policies.
I've experienced 3 comprehensive claims in a year and watched rates go up. Glass coverage here is under comprehensive.

this from a financial web site's pages on auto insurance -

Does a windshield claim make your insurance go up?
Yes, windshield repair claims affect insurance in most states, though the rate increase is usually small because windshield repair claims are not related to the policyholder’s driving. Insurance companies generally raise rates after windshield repair claims in order to recoup the cost of the claim.
it’s worth noting that insurance companies in California and Oklahoma are not allowed to raise premiums for a not-at-fault claim.
California and Oklahoma are the only two states that prohibit insurance companies from raising rates after not-at-fault accidents. In states where it is allowed, the exact amount that your premium will go up depends on your insurance company.
As of 2017, for example, Progressive increased premiums by an average of 16.6% after a not-at-fault accident. Meanwhile, Allstate only increased rates by 4.8%, and drivers with State Farm didn’t see their rates go up at all.

You can't go by your state - that's YOUR state, not all or even most others.
You can't go by the policies you have had - that's your policies, your companies.

To tell people what their policy, or even most will have, is just wrong.
People should READ their policies and ask their agent if they have any question at all.
For someone to suggest what's covered and what's not is like the arm-chair lawyers here.

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to be pedantic, but front windshields aren't tempered "safety" glass generally. They don't need to be since they have the laminate layer so the broken pieces are held together.

It's why front windshields crack, while side windows shatter.
It was my understanding that at least the inside layer had to be tempered. I just spent 5 minutes researching it and everything I found said that "safety glass" was 2 layers of tempered glass with poly-vinyl butyra in between.

I don't actually know for sure. If you have something that says differently that's fine. But I get your point about at least the outside glass making shards.

Zswickliffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon
It was my understanding that at least the inside layer had to be tempered. I just spent 5 minutes researching it and everything I found said that "safety glass" was 2 layers of tempered glass with poly-vinyl butyra in between.

I don't actually know for sure. If you have something that says differently that's fine. But I get your point about at least the outside glass making shards.
Right, so I used to design glass for cars. Marketing wank is hugely responsible for the confusion.

*Generally* laminated glass is not tempered because it doesn't need to be. They are two ways to solve the same problem. PVB layer holds the shards together, tempered glass renders the shards harmless. Just different mechanisms to achieve the same goal.

Side windows can be laminated or tempered depending on what the priority is. Front windshields aren't generally tempered and laminated because it would make them impossible to see through if they were broken.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
It all depends on where you live, your insurance company, and the specific policy you have.
There is NO RULE that says "they will do this" or "they won't do that" and only some states set how insurance companies handle windshields.
There is no national law or rule. You may have a $500 deductible, you may have 0, you may have 100. It all depends. So no one can tell anyone how it works - you just can't. Check your own personal policy.
In our case, the deductible is different between my wife's Jeep and my Jeep. That proves it's not even based on location or company - it varies with POLICY in many cases.

This bit about people saying "they will" or "they should" is just not possible.

READ YOUR POLICY - and if you haven't looked at it - well, I won't say it - it will piss some folks off.
YRMV = Your results may vary ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Right, so I used to design glass for cars. Marketing wank is hugely responsible for the confusion.

*Generally* laminated glass is not tempered because it doesn't need to be. They are two ways to solve the same problem. PVB layer holds the shards together, tempered glass renders the shards harmless. Just different mechanisms to achieve the same goal.

Side windows can be laminated or tempered depending on what the priority is. Front windshields aren't generally tempered and laminated because it would make them impossible to see through if they were broken.
I can ask a friend who actually works for the company that designed the Gorilla Glass for Jeep - his team mate is the one who told me when it would be released to Jeep to make available to the public.
I'd say a person currently working on Jeep windshield designs might be able to at least make an educated guess about Jeep windshields - or car windshields in general since that's what they do LOL

I'd not want tempered glass up front - a hit and it's worse than a black widow's spider web with dew on it. Tiny pieces held together by the inner layer - not good.

I was taught the idea of the inner layer was to keep that non-tempered glass intact so it would not cut you to ribbons since it's not tempered - and so you could see through it.
Side glass is tempered and made to shatter (explode in my experience, I'll never forget that sound!) into pieces that generally speaking won't cut you to ribbons and won't be like slivers all over in your skin.

I've worked with many windshields, salvaged, replaced in my classics and had a few boo-boos and so far, I've never seen one break like tempered, they all "crack" or like my old VW bunny windshield did - took a body blow and spiderwebbed but never lost a single piece, and I drove it that way for a couple of years. It was nasty when the sun hit it - but on a cloudy day I could see through it pretty well (luckily never got caught - later donated the car to charity)

Not at all doubting Zswickliffe in the slightest, just saying - if anyone wants the current scoop on Jeep windshield and specifically, Jeep branded Gorilla Glass windshields, I know a person who currently works in the area where these were designed/made and they may be ok with giving certain specifics.
Otherwise, I go by the word of a person who was on the inside - FIRST HAND - rather than "I read it on the web" as I've found even some car rags get it wrong.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I'm looking into Gorilla Glass now that I have a huge crack after only the 2nd long fwy drive and 1500mi.
NO IT DOES NOT. You can't say "most". You have not seen "most" policies.
I've experienced 3 comprehensive claims in a year and watched rates go up. Glass coverage here is under comprehensive.

If you want proof - my brother worked in the insurance industry for years and has the auto insurance thing pretty well down pat.

You can't go by your state - that's YOUR state, not all or even most others.
You can't go by the policies you have had - that's your policies, your companies.

To tell people what their policy, or even most will have, is just wrong.
People should READ their policies and ask their agent if they have any question at all.
For someone to suggest what's covered and what's not is like the arm-chair lawyers here.
My wifee managed vehicle insurance for a large company in 21 states. A front windshield damaged by a rock is a no fault claim and by law insurance companies cannot raise your rates from these claims, at least within her 21 state jurisdiction. I just asked her what happens if you get two per year for several years and she stood by the statement that by law your insurance company cannot raise your rates.

My new Gladiator windshield just cracked and we are shopping for a Gorilla Glass replacement and it will be handled by our insurance company minus deductible.

Sponsored

Zswickliffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon
I can ask a friend who actually works for the company that designed the Gorilla Glass for Jeep - his team mate is the one who told me when it would be released to Jeep to make available to the public.
I'd say a person currently working on Jeep windshield designs might be able to at least make an educated guess about Jeep windshields - or car windshields in general since that's what they do LOL

I'd not want tempered glass up front - a hit and it's worse than a black widow's spider web with dew on it. Tiny pieces held together by the inner layer - not good.

I was taught the idea of the inner layer was to keep that non-tempered glass intact so it would not cut you to ribbons since it's not tempered - and so you could see through it.
Side glass is tempered and made to shatter (explode in my experience, I'll never forget that sound!) into pieces that generally speaking won't cut you to ribbons and won't be like slivers all over in your skin.

I've worked with many windshields, salvaged, replaced in my classics and had a few boo-boos and so far, I've never seen one break like tempered, they all "crack" or like my old VW bunny windshield did - took a body blow and spiderwebbed but never lost a single piece, and I drove it that way for a couple of years. It was nasty when the sun hit it - but on a cloudy day I could see through it pretty well (luckily never got caught - later donated the car to charity)

Not at all doubting Zswickliffe in the slightest, just saying - if anyone wants the current scoop on Jeep windshield and specifically, Jeep branded Gorilla Glass windshields, I know a person who currently works in the area where these were designed/made and they may be ok with giving certain specifics.
Otherwise, I go by the word of a person who was on the inside - FIRST HAND - rather than "I read it on the web" as I've found even some car rags get it wrong.
This matches exactly what I was saying. Just in a more detailed way. We're on the same page.

I don't believe gorilla glass is considered tempered, it's a different process but I'm not in the know withe their proprietary processes. I've never worked with it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking into Gorilla Glass now that I have a huge crack after only the 2nd long fwy drive and 1500mi.

My wifee managed vehicle insurance for a large company in 21 states. A front windshield damaged by a rock is a no fault claim and by law insurance companies cannot raise your rates from these claims, at least within her 21 state jurisdiction. I just asked her what happens if you get two per year for several years and she stood by the statement that by law your insurance company cannot raise your rates.

My new Gladiator windshield just cracked and we are shopping for a Gorilla Glass replacement and it will be handled by our insurance company minus deductible.
That's apparently changed - or is the case there.
I experienced a rate increase years ago before I went with my current company.

As far as 100% coverage, I can prove that's not the case currently -that absolutely varies. You can't say "a company will cover it 100%" unless that state demands it by law. Our state does not and in many policies, glass, including windshield, is covered under "comprehensive". I checked on that and even an internet article said "generally you won't have glass coverage unless you have comprehensive coverage or specific coverage for glass" and stated "glass is usually covered under comprehensive, check your policy". etc.

I did some digging and inquiring -

Only Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina waive the car insurance deductible for windshield repair or replacement.
These three states are referred to as having free windshield replacement or as zero deductible states.
The catch is, you must have purchased comprehensive coverage beforehand to reap the benefits.

SPECIFICS on "free glass" replacement -
Arizona — In Arizona, from Avondale, Peoria, Scottsdale, and Tempe to Chandler, Flagstaff, Gilbert, Glendale, Phoenix, Surprise, Tucson, Mesa, and beyond, you have the option of purchasing a separate auto glass endorsement or waiver when you purchase auto insurance. If you have such an endorsement or waiver, you will not need to pay your full deductible when you have your windshield replaced.
Massachusetts — Massachusetts is frequently cited as a “zero deductible” state, but that’s a bit of a misnomer in this case. You may have friends in Worcester who paid nothing while another friend in Springfield and your coworker in Lowell, Massachusetts had to pay a $100 deductible. The reason for varying rates has to do with the option to get a separate auto glass deductible on your policy. Whether you live in Cambridge, New Bedford, or Brockton, the choice you make when purchasing your auto insurance policy will impact whether or not you get a free windshield replacement as part of your insurance claim. In Massachusetts, you have the option to purchase a comprehensive policy with free windshield repair and replacement or a policy with a $100 windshield deductible.

These states require the customer to pay the difference in price if the insurance provider gets a cheaper estimate. This repairs law holds in the following states:

Connecticut
Delaware
Georgia
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Nevada
Utah
Wisconsin

The state of California has no specific written laws for glass repairs. It is one of 22 states that do not impose specific guidelines on residents. But, is there free windshield replacement in California? The answer is no, not exactly. While zero-deductible windshield replacement may be offered with comprehensive coverage, it is not a law.

New Jersey’s standard comprehensive deductible is $750.

(NOTE - required to OFFER does not mean you have it - just that it's offered as an option)
Arizona Insurance companies are required to offer a zero deductible glass repair policy.
Connecticut Insurance companies are required to offer a zero deductible glass repair policy.
Florida The state law waives the deductible for windshields only.
Kentucky The state law waives the deductible for all auto glass.
Massachusetts The coverage options include a zero and $100 deductible.
Minnesota Insurance companies are required to offer a zero deductible glass repair policy.
New York Insurance companies are required to offer a zero deductible glass repair policy.
South Carolina The state law waives the deductible for all auto glass.

insurance companies in Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota and New York are required to offer drivers the option of purchasing full glass coverage. This policy add-on allows drivers to have a specific glass repair deductible that is either $0 or lower than their comprehensive deductible.

And finally, this from a financial web site's pages on auto insurance -

Does a windshield claim make your insurance go up?
Yes, windshield repair claims affect insurance in most states, though the rate increase is usually small because windshield repair claims are not related to the policyholder’s driving. Insurance companies generally raise rates after windshield repair claims in order to recoup the cost of the claim.
it’s worth noting that insurance companies in California and Oklahoma are not allowed to raise premiums for a not-at-fault claim.
California and Oklahoma are the only two states that prohibit insurance companies from raising rates after not-at-fault accidents. In states where it is allowed, the exact amount that your premium will go up depends on your insurance company.
As of 2017, for example, Progressive increased premiums by an average of 16.6% after a not-at-fault accident. Meanwhile, Allstate only increased rates by 4.8%, and drivers with State Farm didn’t see their rates go up at all.

Last edited:

R0BSTR0SITY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
HVAC-R
where

where did you get this done, a shop, dealership?
i called two places here and they haven't heard of gorilla glass. and the safelite people arent responding to emails or phone calls so i don't know about then yet
I live in Ohio, and have Erie Insurance. (even though state to state and policy to policy can differ, as mentioned above.)
I first requested a quote from my local dealership, then requested a quote from a local independent shop (not Safelite.) The independent shop was cheaper and actually had the Gorilla Glass in stock (unbelievable since the dealership gave me over a month lead-time for them to acquire a Mopar/Gorilla Glass replacement windshield.)
The independent shop quoted me two different prices, one if I was using my insurance, and one if I was paying cash. I paid cash, emailed a copy of the invoice to my insurance provider. My insurance then sent me a check less my $100 comprehensive fee.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Here’s my Gorilla Glass after 5 days of new JT ownership. Less than 300 miles. Gotta love the freeway! This is why we can’t have nice things. My JK has been hit many times with GG and is holding up. Oh well
Jeep Gladiator Gorilla Glass pricing? E1A79F96-4F97-4EA8-A092-0799C4EA611E

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I just got my Gorilla Glass last week. I broke 2 Mopar windshields... Purchasing Gorilla glass was so painless, that I was shocked. I called up my local car glass shop, told him what I wanted, he said he would have it tomorrow. I went the next day and he installed it. Best Price I could get was $930 cash, out the door, including tax --- No sensors version of the windshield. It sure is nice. Super clear. I really like it. Here is a pic.

Jeep Gladiator Gorilla Glass pricing? 2g5kn6
Sponsored