First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Are there any grease zirks on the JT anywhere or around the slip yoke on the drive shaft? Any of you get a thump feel in the back end when you come to a stop, kinda like a soft rear end tap coming to a stop? I had that issue with my last vehicle being the 17 Tacoma and it was a drive shaft issue.
Sponsored

coder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Power Wagon, 2019 JLUS
The Maintenance Schedule would refer to anything requiring regular greasing

Trlr8tdd

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition JT, 2013 JKR
Occupation
Aviation Chief Inspector
All sealed, lifetime bearings. I zerks. Lifetime of the bearings
Mine does that too. No clue why

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
It made me think about it as I was rolling around under the truck retorquing all the “loose from factory” suspension nuts and bolts, front and back, and I noticed a smear of red grease on the bottom side of the large pitman arm nut at the base of the steering gear box. Odd place for grease to hang out. ??
Jeep Gladiator Grease Zirks E45E581A-DAEE-4464-8A29-A8A6DE1B17B9

Sponsored

cleatus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
computer fixie guy
It made me think about it as I was rolling around under the truck retorquing all the “loose from factory” suspension nuts and bolts, front and back, and I noticed a smear of red grease on the bottom side of the large pitman arm nut at the base of the steering gear box. Odd place for grease to hang out. ??
Jeep Gladiator Grease Zirks E45E581A-DAEE-4464-8A29-A8A6DE1B17B9
sure its not red loctite?

Maccam26

First Name
Marc-Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Have this weird thump after complete stop and release the brakes and suspension unloads, anyone know what the cause is ?

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
This was always an issue with my 2017 Tacoma Sport. I would come to a stop and a half second later would feel something like a soft “rear ender”. I would even get out to see if that had happened. Nope.

In that case it was the slip yoke needing grease. Maybe same thing for your case??

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Have this weird thump after complete stop and release the brakes and suspension unloads, anyone know what the cause is ?
There is a common issue of the rear E-Locker on Rubicon and Mojave models making a noise once you unload the drive axles and just start to feather the throttle. Considered "Normal" due to the design. I briefly chased it to include removing the diff cover and checking pinion backlash and it was middle range in spec. Seen where the E-Locker floats on the differential ring carrier and clanks loosely when not engaged.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
PSA: It isn't a zirk or a zert or zirt. It is a ZERK fitting. Named after a Viennese inventor named Oscar Ulysses Zerkowitz (later changed is last name to just ZERK).

Not trying to be "that guy" but in a previous life I was a certified Level 2 Tribologist (Oil Analyst) and used to teach this stuff to mechanics. It used to drive me batty with all the different names they gave those little fittings. FWIW, he was granted the patent in 1929 and the assignee of the patent was the Alemite Manufacturing Corporation; so you might hear them referred to as Alemite fittings also.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
PSA: It isn't a zirk or a zert or zirt. It is a ZERK fitting. Named after a Viennese inventor named Oscar Ulysses Zerkowitz (later changed is last name to just ZERK).

Not trying to be "that guy" but in a previous life I was a certified Level 2 Tribologist (Oil Analyst) and used to teach this stuff to mechanics. It used to drive me batty with all the different names they gave those little fittings. FWIW, he was granted the patent in 1929 and the assignee of the patent was the Alemite Manufacturing Corporation; so you might hear them referred to as Alemite fittings also.
You are right, but the "Zirk" spelling is out in the wild so much even in the commercial world to almost be synonymous alternate spelling.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation

This is prime example of our language on the constant slope of being “dumbed down”. My wife would call them “thingies”. I called them “nipples” and would blush and turn all red and sweaty when I would say it. Hated that!! Thanks for the clarification.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
You are right, but the "Zirk" spelling is out in the wild so much even in the commercial world to almost be synonymous alternate spelling.
I hear ya brother…and it drives me crazy. Now you’ll have to excuse me cuz I have to go yell at those d@mn kids to get off of my lawn.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
This is prime example of our language on the constant slope of being “dumbed down”. My wife would call them “thingies”. I called them “nipples” and would blush and turn all red and sweaty when I would say it. Hated that!! Thanks for the clarification.
My "Zerks" identify as "Grease Nipples". Sounds classy that way.
Sponsored