First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
A friend was on the Ineos US demo tour team. He has extensive overlanding experience and flat out says the Grenadier is the real deal. Everything on it is built for a purpose and rock solid.

I think the Quartermaster and Grenadier would cater to the same folks that would have bought an OG Defender over a Wrangler. It may siphon a few of the wealthier Gladiator buyers but it isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't affordable enough for the masses to use it as a daily.

The US-spec Grenadier SUV starts over $71K and fully loaded Trailmasters touch $100K. The UK page has the Quartermaster in Trailmaster trim starting around $95K and loaded out similarly at around $115K. If I hit the Powerball I'd have one but I'd also have a fleet of other vehicles. I'm certain there will be Veblen buyers out there who pick one up just to show it off.

Overseas Ineos has 2-and 4-seat utility versions for commercial service. I can see the British Army, Australian Army, the UN and NGO's like the Red Cross and private companies using these as they did Land Rovers down the road, too.

BTW: The BMW B58 motor is possibly one of the best designed, reliable modular systems out there and has won multiple engineering awards, far more capable in any form than even the Hurricane I6. Toyota uses it in the Supra- that should speak volumes.

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
I have a close friend who reserved a Grenadier so have been following these for a while. If not for the upfront cost and potential cost of maintenance down the road (BMW powertrain) I'd be into it. It looks a little goofy stock, but so does the gladiator. From what I understand about these things they are built to be as tough as the older D90s but with some modern updates as well.

My least favorite aspect is the out of place looking shift knob. You have a rugged and militaristic looking dash and switch panel layout, then this futuristic pointy dild0 looking shift knob. :mad:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That is going to just be a rich persons status vehicle like the Mercedes G-Wagon you will see primarily running around ski resorts in the winter time.

They will also have the 25% "Chicken Tax" to deal with when they import it.

That being said, I like the styling. Interior gives me 1980's flashbacks and nostalgia.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Direct competition is competitively prices. This is not.

This only competes against people in the axle and/or engine swapped gladiator market.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I have a close friend who reserved a Grenadier so have been following these for a while. If not for the upfront cost and potential cost of maintenance down the road (BMW powertrain) I'd be into it. It looks a little goofy stock, but so does the gladiator. From what I understand about these things they are built to be as tough as the older D90s but with some modern updates as well.

My least favorite aspect is the out of place looking shift knob. You have a rugged and militaristic looking dash and switch panel layout, then this futuristic pointy dild0 looking shift knob. :mad:
I can't stand the shifter either. Of all the newer designs available and options it's about the worst. I don't understand why Ineos went with that except if not for parts availability when the same exact transmission (8HP) goes into the JT/JLU/WK2 with a "traditional" shifter and the Wagoneer and WL get a rotary. having spent considerable time with BMWs and 8HPs, its a great transmission but that shifter is needlessly complicated to use and more importantly feels flimsy.

All of that aside, the 8HP is a rock solid transmission and the B58 is no more maintenance intensive than any other direct injection motor. Generally speaking, BMW knows straight-6's better than any other manufacturer. And the B58/8HP combination is like peanut butter and jelly.

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
I can't stand the shifter either. Of all the newer designs available and options it's about the worst. I don't understand why Ineos went with that except if not for parts availability when the same exact transmission (8HP) goes into the JT/JLU/WK2 with a "traditional" shifter and the Wagoneer and WL get a rotary. having spent considerable time with BMWs and 8HPs, its a great transmission but that shifter is needlessly complicated to use and more importantly feels flimsy.

All of that aside, the 8HP is a rock solid transmission and the B58 is no more maintenance intensive than any other direct injection motor. Generally speaking, BMW knows straight-6's better than any other manufacturer. And the B58/8HP combination is like peanut butter and jelly.
Fair point on the I6 and 8HP. I’m not a big fan of direct injection, but I have heard some good things about that BMW engine. And I suppose since it’s also in the Supra that’ll ensure there’s a decent aftermarket and parts availability in the future.

OP
OP
jeepstertim

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
A friend was on the Ineos US demo tour team. He has extensive overlanding experience and flat out says the Grenadier is the real deal. Everything on it is built for a purpose and rock solid.

I think the Quartermaster and Grenadier would cater to the same folks that would have bought an OG Defender over a Wrangler. It may siphon a few of the wealthier Gladiator buyers but it isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't affordable enough for the masses to use it as a daily.

The US-spec Grenadier SUV starts over $71K and fully loaded Trailmasters touch $100K. The UK page has the Quartermaster in Trailmaster trim starting around $95K and loaded out similarly at around $115K. If I hit the Powerball I'd have one but I'd also have a fleet of other vehicles. I'm certain there will be Veblen buyers out there who pick one up just to show it off.

Overseas Ineos has 2-and 4-seat utility versions for commercial service. I can see the British Army, Australian Army, the UN and NGO's like the Red Cross and private companies using these as they did Land Rovers down the road, too.

BTW: The BMW B58 motor is possibly one of the best designed, reliable modular systems out there and has won multiple engineering awards, far more capable in any form than even the Hurricane I6. Toyota uses it in the Supra- that should speak volumes.
Back in 2002 I was working in the UK's Defence Procurement Agency as an enthusiastic Captain and we started then the replacement for the Landrover Defender Wolf (or TUM) as it was known. It was painfully obvious then with Iraq/ AFG going on that we needed greater carrying capacity and protection than Wolf offered us. We were looking to buy a mixed fleet of a protected 'light' high mobility vehicle and the bulk of the fleet, a crew cab pickup with a 1000kg rear bed capacity and seating for 4, it only needed modest off-road ability as it was estimated 90% of the existing Wolf fleet never did anything more challenging than a gravel track.

Where did we end up? Well Foxhound was procured for the protected mobility bit (an excellent vehicle) and we are still patching up and bodging Wolf to keep it going!

I spent a lot of my time looking over at the US for replacement vehicles and we did a 3 week visit to Daimler Chrysler (hybrid Ram), Ford (F150) and others. The Ford defence sales guy was sweetness and light when he took us for diner, best food and wine until he asked how many, we replied about 7000 and he said the number was so insignificant he wouldn't even offer to paint them olive drab and we'd have to take them as they came off the line!

This has been a rather long way of saying that the Grenadier (despite the name) won't work for the UK military.

Jeep Gladiator Grenadier Quartermaster competition foxhound-700x500

STACHES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Alltrack, '74 X1/9, '71 240z, '66 C10
Occupation
Manufacturing Automation
That is going to just be a rich persons status vehicle like the Mercedes G-Wagon you will see primarily running around ski resorts in the winter time.
The thing is, I can get a nice used G Wagon with 30k miles for less than one of these. I think they can sell their 4,999 vehicle limit in the US, but I doubt we see many of them on the road like the G Wagons.

Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I spent a lot of my time looking over at the US for replacement vehicles and we did a 3 week visit to Daimler Chrysler (hybrid Ram), Ford (F150) and others. The Ford defence sales guy was sweetness and light when he took us for diner, best food and wine until he asked how many, we replied about 7000 and he said the number was so insignificant he wouldn't even offer to paint them olive drab and we'd have to take them as they came off the line!

This has been a rather long way of saying that the Grenadier (despite the name) won't work for the UK military.

Jeep Gladiator Grenadier Quartermaster competition foxhound-700x500
I stand corrected and appreciate your POV. Thanks! I wonder then if the NGO world (Relief groups is what im thinking) would see a use?

BTW, that bit about Ford- that's irritating. You'd think a potential 7k vehicle fleet order would be something they'd be interested in unless they were just barely keeping up with FSeries demand at the time?

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
I'd considered putting a deposit down when they were first announced, back then they were rumored to start around $50k.. $70k starting put it way out of my reach.

Super cool vehicles, I hope they depreciate like crazy so I can own one someday!

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Looks cool, if it was starting at 50 and topping out at 71K I'd seriously consider it. Starting at 70 and topping out at 100K though there just isnt enough differentiator for me.