First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I don’t know what made me think of it this morning, but for some reason I did. I had been meaning to look at that harness and so I did! I took a pic for y’all. Mine has a piece of what appears to be plastic, attached to the harness where it goes through the tailgate, holding it away from the cutout. I didn’t put it there so had to be factory.
How long it will last, certainly I can’t say. But it does keep the harness away from the cutout.
EE0B61EA-1158-4DD8-830B-E510BB1B41F3.jpeg
Sponsored

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I don’t know what made me think of it this morning, but for some reason I did. I had been meaning to look at that harness and so I did! I took a pic for y’all. Mine has a piece of what appears to be plastic, attached to the harness where it goes through the tailgate, holding it away from the cutout. I didn’t put it there so had to be factory.
How long it will last, certainly I can’t say. But it does keep the harness away from the cutout.
EE0B61EA-1158-4DD8-830B-E510BB1B41F3.jpeg
My Gladiator has that same clip, but that wasn't my worry - my worry was sweeping debris out of my bed and accidentally getting crap inside the tailgate. That's why I bought a grommet to plug it up.

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
My Gladiator has that same clip, but that wasn't my worry - my worry was sweeping debris out of my bed and accidentally getting crap inside the tailgate. That's why I bought a grommet to plug it up.
That's funny. I didn't even notice yours had one too, until you just brought it up. I guess I was thinking of the OP. Obviously the grommet will keep stuff out of the tailgate and is a great solution to that.

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
That's funny. I didn't even notice yours had one too, until you just brought it up. I guess I was thinking of the OP. Obviously the grommet will keep stuff out of the tailgate and is a great solution to that.
No worries!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
This was my solution. I've had similar things on other trucks. It eliminates the other annoyance of things falling into the gap, all around. I like using the tailgate as a table for a lot of activities.

https://www.ecoological.com/gapshield.html

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I like that "gap shield" now about the big hole is a plus, less likely to have crap stuck in there. It would wash out with water hose or shake, roll out when driving. Another bad is great place for wasp nest and like in tailgate.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Had to buy four grommets to get one. Three available for $4 each, shipped. ALL GONE 5/22/20

Last edited:

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Count me in, I will take one also, thanks.
cheers

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
This was my solution. I've had similar things on other trucks. It eliminates the other annoyance of things falling into the gap, all around. I like using the tailgate as a table for a lot of activities.

https://www.ecoological.com/gapshield.html
That looks like a good solution - my only concern would be if you ever need to remove the tailgate for any reason. I think I would install it so it's attached to the bed, but is not attached to the tailgate.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
, I decided to simply split one open with a razor blade and core out a section just slightly smaller than the wire and clip that are going into that hole. As you can see from the pics, it slots in there nicely - it should do the job of stopping crap from entering my tailgate, and that's all that matters. :)

! Here is the URL to the actual grommets I ordered, in case anyone needs the info in the future:

Flyshop 1-3/4" x 2-3/4" ID 2" x 3" Drill Hole Grommets Synthetic Rubber Grommets Wire Protection,Oval, 4-Pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07841Y9QM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Gladiator Grommet/Gasket for tailgate center hole EE0B61EA-1158-4DD8-830B-E510BB1B41F3
Jeep Gladiator Grommet/Gasket for tailgate center hole EE0B61EA-1158-4DD8-830B-E510BB1B41F3
The plastic clip keeps the harness from chaffing.
I installed mine (thanks again to @mortuar) with just a slice at the wire location and an ‘X’ cut for the wire to pass thru. The clip did not seat flush before the grommet but a trim of the grommet would fix that if desired.

72DF07AC-963F-4DE1-A463-9257F84E140D.jpeg

Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For what it's worth, RAM's are setup this same way. My buddy came over in his 2019 RAM 1500 and it has the same hole. It looked to be about the same size as the one on the Gladiator. I didn't see anyone talking about it over on 5th gen ram forums though. There's a lot more RAMs out there then gladiators so there must not really be a market for it since I couldn't find anything specifically designed for people that want to plug it.

This is from his truck's tailgate:

Jeep Gladiator Grommet/Gasket for tailgate center hole IMG_5059

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
My question is, is this hole also a drain for water and/or condensation or any sort?

Last edited:

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Finally installed the grommet today! I only had to cut a very small potion of it to make it work. We're moving back to Iowa so it's nice to know we have a little extra protection from the salt spray, etc.

aglass0fmilk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee 1997, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Isn’t the tailgate made of aluminum? If so it won’t be as much of a problem if crud gets in there — it shouldn’t rust out like a steel tailgate would.

I’d rather leave it open so moisture and dirt have a hole to exit through. I’m sure 20 years from now that wiring will be quite chaffed though....

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
received and installed grommet today. Thanks for the link.

F8FEF45A-F091-4CC6-B32C-2A0A62CEA84C.jpeg
Sponsored