Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Ok, well good luck.

Yeah it's all about perspective.

Got mine 55k out the door with everything.

I could have saved a wee bit more, but factoring in my hourly rate at work, burning off points to travel(SW to fly and HHonors for hotels),gas, tolls and the 750 miles on the truck....... I'm still ahead in the deal. Alot of people look solely at money save on the truck.......but not everything else.

But that's me...... cost/benefit analysis. It hasn't failed me yet.
Yeah, absolutely. For me the 9K I made on my car became my down payment, 2K in rebates, 8% off the car. I’m spending 1K+ to go get it but I’m calling that a vacation so it’s an easy excuse. Even with $1,500 to go and retrieve the car and drive it home I’m still only going to pay $46,500 out of my pocket with all taxes, fees and interest included on a 55K truck. I’m very happy.
Sponsored

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
Haha 2 completely different experiences. I’ve heard from Daniel after I asked if it came and I’ve had to email him to get everything taken care off. While other members have this Renee (girl? guy?) emailing them and I have never heard a peep from this person! lol
Renee (she) is Daniel's assistant as I understand it. I am guessing they are dividing and conquering the 80 or so Jeeps they just got in. After Jeep Chat confirmed delivery Monday, I emailed Daniel and have not heard back from him. Then I got a new email from Renee this morning.

Kinda like not understanding what order stuff is being built at the factory, I don't know what goes on behind the curtain with this many deliveries. I'm just going to show up at my appointed time, hand over my money, and drive away happy.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
Yeah it's all about perspective.

Got mine 55k out the door with everything.
Wait so after all this the dealer is only 8% under MSRP? I'm confused then - why did you post and claim it was an 8+% under invoice deal?

For what it's worth, the price delta vs Gupton here should be just over $3,000 (without financing with them, greater savings if you do). Everyone has to determine their own breakeven point, but gas, tolls, truck mileage, and aggressively purchased airfare will still be pretty far away from $3k (lodging isn't necessary if you structure your day around flying down and driving right back). With respect to your hourly rate though you're of course right that you can easily make up the difference by working extra hours during that time, with a breakeven around $200/hour. For most purchasers though that lack the ability to generate extra marginal income in such a manner, the appropriate cost/benefit isn't their wage rate, but rather the value delta between 'driving truck time' and pure leisure time. Given driving a new Gladiator is pretty comfortable most values derived there would suggest most buyers are better off flying down and driving back.

Separately, I'm pleased the dealer offers a good on-site experience, the MD taxes are of course not the dealer's fault, and the deposit and doc fees seem perfectly reasonable.

Separately to that though if you wanted to stay local I think you could have saved $1,500 or so from Koons in Tysons.

Take note, not all offers are available on the Gladiator and quoted discounts now may not be available at the time of delivery/financing.
I'm glad you had a good dealer experience, but this reads like typically BS fed by dealers who want to try and convince someone the Gupton price isn't legit by muddying the waters and injecting FUD into the conversation. The Gupton offer/discount is clearly legit available and doesn't bundle in any esoteric discounts aside from Tread Lightly which you also utilized.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Wait so after all this the dealer is only 8% under MSRP? I'm confused then - why did you post and claim it was an 8+% under invoice deal?

For what it's worth, the price delta vs Gupton here should be just over $3,000 (without financing with them, greater savings if you do). Everyone has to determine their own breakeven point, but gas, tolls, truck mileage, and aggressively purchased airfare will still be pretty far away from $3k (lodging isn't necessary if you structure your day around flying down and driving right back). With respect to your hourly rate though you're of course right that you can easily make up the difference by working extra hours during that time, with a breakeven around $200/hour. For most purchasers though that lack the ability to generate extra marginal income in such a manner, the appropriate cost/benefit isn't their wage rate, but rather the value delta between 'driving truck time' and pure leisure time. Given driving a new Gladiator is pretty comfortable most values derived there would suggest most buyers are better off flying down and driving back.

Separately, I'm pleased the dealer offers a good on-site experience, the MD taxes are of course not the dealer's fault, and the deposit and doc fees seem perfectly reasonable.

Separately to that though if you wanted to stay local I think you could have saved $1,500 or so from Koons in Tysons.

I'm glad you had a good dealer experience, but this reads like typically BS fed by dealers who want to try and convince someone the Gupton price isn't legit by muddying the waters and injecting FUD into the conversation. The Gupton offer/discount is clearly legit available and doesn't bundle in any esoteric discounts aside from Tread Lightly which you also utilized.
Well the contract I work on for DoD is very strict in regards to hours and billing periods......honestly its beyond the scope or reason for me to explain here. I can assure you, if I'm ordering a new Mojave on top of my current JL Rubicon...... the hourly rate does come into play.

Now the MSRP and invoice are soft numbers as I have additional options in play that account for your accounting. I faired very well in my deal and it comes down to the individual to hustle their own deal.

I respect the point you're trying to make, but I'm not going to disclose every single nitty gritty detail of my deal.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
I respect the point you're trying to make, but I'm not going to disclose every single nitty gritty detail of my deal.
Fair enough, you seem like a good dude and I hope you enjoy your Jeep.

That said it's my experience that a reluctance to cite details is usually accompanied by the details not being in one's favor. The costs here aren't that complicated :)

Now the MSRP and invoice are soft numbers as I have additional options in play that account for your accounting.
I don't know that this means. MSRP and invoice should be fixed firm numbers at every dealer in the continental US. Of course where one goes from there is dealer and customer dependent, but people are citing examples of very similar Jeep builds (mine included) with pretty differing pricing. I respect that given your geography you may have made a heck of a deal, but ultimately from what's been disclosed you still paid a good deal more because of the different dealer pricing baselines. Again it's your Jeep, your time, and your money to spend as you wish, but with respect to others reading the thread, this seems more an example of "I value my time at a high hourly rate" and not really "there are lots of costs to the Gupton path which erode the savings."

But again, this whole discussion could have been avoided had this deal just been described as 2% off invoice or whatever, it was just the prospect of another deep discounter that piqued interest.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No worries. Just speaking to my experience. Everyones buying experience will differ based on their negotiation skills

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Breakdown of my deal -

MSRP was: $54,770 (see build specs in my signature)
Agreed price: $50,448 (Tread lightly and dealer discount)

Doc Fee: $500 (middle of the road, dealers in VA were $750ish)
Tax/title/tag: $3,472.64 (Maryland)

Dealer wanted $500 deposit upon order - thought that was more then fair
Got mine 55k out the door with everything, including lifetime drivetrain warranty.
Playing around loosely with the old pricing spreadsheet from the sticky, an MSRP of $54,760 (using random options to get close to the number since the price data is outdated) results in an invoice price of $51,703. 8.3% under that is $47,411. Adding $4K back for doc fee and TTL (and rounding), and you're at $51.5K. If the lifetime drivetrain warranty is $3,500, then that makes sense. No idea what those go for though. Not sure if that's adding any clarity at all... A dealer near DC is WAY better for me than one in the middle of nowhere, so I'd really be happy if this checked out.

EDIT: Playing around further with the sheet shows that invoice is near as makes no difference 10% off MSRP for all the options, and 5% for the particular vehicle trim level. Helpful for me going forward since that sheet hasn't been updated, as it allows me to know what invoice would be on any particular build and keep the sheet updated. Slightly less helpful here since I don't know every option being calculated for.

rubber_ducky

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Curious if anybody has had their car shipped via carrier from Gupton. I’m an 18 hour drive away. Got a shipping quote for just north of $1k…. Which is a bargain compared to a flight to TN and then a two day drive home. I assume I wouldn’t be the first to do this. Am I?

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I've shipped cars hither and yon, but not specifically from Gupton. $1K isn't a bad price if it's an 18 hour drive otherwise.

I was thinking the other day... Gupton is the only dealer I'm aware of at all that's doing 8% under invoice reliably. Others will occasionally pop up here and there, and in a manner where it's hard to tell if they know the difference between invoice and MSRP, but Gupton is a known quantity. If enough people out west were to coordinate buys, it might be cheaper to all go in on a single hauler. Cost would be the same on the drop off end, but picking up all in one place plus the effort saved on putting a truck together. Cost savings would be even more if the drop off point could be coordinated in a similar fashion. Like, if a half dozen people bought at the same time, and everyone picked up in Denver for instance.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
No idea what those go for though.
Those warranties are non-transferable dealer-specific warranties that require all of the factory scheduled maintenance to be performed at the issuing dealership. They're legit as far as they go, but they remove the possibility of doing your own maintenance or using a third party shop, and sometimes remove the ability to choose between standard or heavy use schedules. They're good fits for someone who is already going to be doing all scheduled maintenance at one dealer and will keep doing so even as the vehicle ages (to capture the 'lifetime' benefit) and who, of course, won't be moving their Jeep out of the area.

We can sort of assign an upper bound to the value by comparing to Mopar-issued extended powertrain warranties which have far fewer restrictions - a seven year unlimited mileage warranty from a dealer which discounts is $1,525. I'd personally value the more restrictive dealer-specific warranty at 1/3 of that value (declining to zero of course if I wanted to service the truck myself) but I'd not fault someone valuing it higher if they were an ideal fit as described above.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dan did not deny it when I emailed him this afternoon......though I did not ask directly.

crgstewart

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Has anyone contacted Dan to make sure we are still getting the Tread Lightly discount post 10/1?
When I emailed with him earlier, he said that since the order was marked a Sold Order and was ordered before 10/1, it should still be good for the discount. Hopefully that stands! I went ahead and generated a code before the 1st just to be safe too.

Rein89

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Has anyone contacted Dan to make sure we are still getting the Tread Lightly discount post 10/1?
I got a reply from him today after I had asked him about it. He said to send over my control number and letter to be on the safe side. So I guess that means yes.
Sponsored