• Total voters

ljjohnson

First Name
lamont
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
So the time has come for me to look for a new Jeep and I have came to the choice of getting a JT over a JL because I've had a JL in the Past ik how it goes but now that the JT has 3.0 Diesel and a Gasser I have no idea what I want to do I need advice and some insight you guys have never let never let me down before. also the best place to get one at the best price I'm looking to make a choice by the end of this month or get my self an early Christmas gift.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Looks like you have about a dozen more questions in your post? :LOL:
But going by the title, if you have a lot of short-distance/city driving I would stick with gas. If you have a longer commute &/or make frequent long drives &/or tow anything then consider the diesel.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
If you dont have at least a 15 minute daily drive with 5 minutes of above 60 mph I would suggest a gasser. The diesel needs time to warm up or it will cause emission issues.

If you are not an engine guy or specifically a diesel guy I would not recommend diesel it as the gasser is likely more reliable and less maintenance.

You will likely not see cost benefit to the diesel.

if you like diesel and get off on torque and noise, buy it!

That said I am ordering a diesel soon.

OP
OP

ljjohnson

First Name
lamont
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you dont have at least a 15 minute daily drive with 5 minutes of above 60 mph I would suggest a gasser. The diesel needs time to warm up or it will cause emission issues.

If you are not an engine guy or specifically a diesel guy I would not recommend diesel it as the gasser is likely more reliable and less maintenance.

You will likely not see cost benefit to the diesel.

if you like diesel and get off on torque and noise, buy it!

That said I am ordering a diesel soon.
I have a 35 min drive to work and my best friend is a car freak who did everything on my previous jeep. but I actually plan on going on alot of trips and I make the 180 mile drive to Springfield often. if that helps

OP
OP

ljjohnson

First Name
lamont
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Looks like you have about a dozen more questions in your post? :LOL:
But going by the title, if you have a lot of short-distance/city driving I would stick with gas. If you have a longer commute &/or make frequent long drives &/or tow anything then consider the diesel.
I appreciate this alot it does help my commute to work is above average I think

Sponsored

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
Gas - just be sure to get the 4:10 gears (Mojave, Rubi or Max Tow Package). I was convinced I'd wait and order a diesel, the max tow quickly changed my mind.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Diesel Pluses:

- Gobs O Torque
- Better MPG*
- Cool. Very cool

Diesel Negatives:

- Higher initial cost
- Diesel fuel cost is typically more per gallon than regular gasoline (although not lately)
- Smaller fuel tank to make room for diesel fluid tank
- Higher maintenance costs
- Questionable reliability (??)
- Less towing capacity than Pentastar with Max Tow
- Heavier

* Although the MPG is higher, since the fuel tank is smaller, I don't know if the range per tank is greater with the diesel.

Just a few points to consider.

Last edited:

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Watched a video talking about the cost of the high cost of the oil filter and it showed the exhaust system and it looks pretty complicated, both would be negatives to me.

Johnnyblender

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2020 JLU High Altitude
Occupation
Engineer
How many miles before the break even point?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t think there is a break even point.

Sponsored

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
I recently purchased a 20 JTR. This is the first gas truck I've had in almost 30 years. With the JT there isn't much difference in towing between gas and diesel. The price of diesel fuel is normally higher. Maintenance costs are higher. The diesel option is expensive. And diesel engines just aren't meant to operate with all of the current emissions equipment required. My advice would be to stick with the gasser. I don't think you'll regret it.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
If you are worried too much about cost, probably stick with the gasser. If you want to feel the torque and get the thrill of having your back pressed back into the seat in a Jeep, just by pressing one skinny pedal, do what I did and get the diesel.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I recommended to a friend that he test drive a JKU with the diesel, the 3.6 and the 2.0 turbo and he bought the diesel. Hands down the most powerful and best performing. I saw the comment about "no difference" between the 3.6 and the diesel when towing. Are you kidding, gobs of torque the 3.6 only wishes it had.

Drive both then decide and the 200,000 mile break even. Don't believe it. Besides the diesel could be the last Jeep you ever own, will outlast the gasser any day in how many miles it will go.

Then again, does anyone know why you can't order a diesel JT now? No longer on the Jeep build page.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recommended to a friend that he test drive a JKU with the diesel, the 3.6 and the 2.0 turbo and he bought the diesel. Hands down the most powerful and best performing. I saw the comment about "no difference" between the 3.6 and the diesel when towing. Are you kidding, gobs of torque the 3.6 only wishes it had.

Drive both then decide and the 200,000 mile break even. Don't believe it. Besides the diesel could be the last Jeep you ever own, will outlast the gasser any day in how many miles it will go.

Then again, does anyone know why you can't order a diesel JT now? No longer on the Jeep build page.
Unless the current iteration of the diesel has changed significantly for the previous versions in reliability it is doubtful it will outlast the gas engine.
Sponsored