Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
Score! Made A free account with email and they sent me 20% off coupon. Lady at register said it wouldnt Work but I tested online before going to the store. Heavy as hell. Hope I don’t lose too much front lift. Is the gen3 12k smittybilt comp this heavy?

ED869DA8-D3A5-44F7-8E3B-5FA30E5501C4.jpeg
Weight is the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Badlands...it weighs 84 pounds. You can spend a bit more.....$144 roughly when Badlandmis not on sale and get a Warn EVO Series 10,000 lb and it weighs 55 pounds. To me 30 pounds is a lot.....
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Weight is the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Badlands...it weighs 84 pounds. You can spend a bit more.....$144 roughly when Badlandmis not on sale and get a Warn EVO Series 10,000 lb and it weighs 55 pounds. To me 30 pounds is a lot.....
If I lose the 25-30 my wife keeps reminding me of, it would be a wash for me......

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

There's no way it's 84 pounds. I think Harbor Freight's site is wrong.

According to this post:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...x-12-000-winch-lower-price.44490/post-1035410

It's about 59 pounds which seems more correct based on my arm scales.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

jasunto

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technical Implementation Engineer
I'll weight it when I pull it out of the box tomorrow. I also got a pretty lightweight steel stubby bumper so I hope that helps a little. I got this over the Smitty 12k comp Gen3 because of how cheap I got it. Put it on the AMEX which should protect me for another year past 90 days. I don't remember my Smitty Gen2 12k comp x20 weighing this much. I checked their site and they don't show the weights in the specs for GEN3.

Sponsored

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'll weight it when I pull it out of the box tomorrow. I also got a pretty lightweight steel stubby bumper so I hope that helps a little. I got this over the Smitty 12k comp Gen3 because of how cheap I got it. Put it on the AMEX which should protect me for another year past 90 days. I don't remember my Smitty Gen2 12k comp x20 weighing this much. I checked their site and they don't show the weights in the specs for GEN3.
Getting a good weight on it would be awesome because I have looked in several places ...albeit....harbor Freight info but it says 84 lbs. That is about the only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger.

jasunto

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technical Implementation Engineer
Sorry guys, I slept on it all night and returned it for the GEN3 Smitty 12k synthetic comp XRC. Around 30 lbs less weight. Had the GEN2 on my JK and had no issues. The extra warranty is good too.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They may not be 85 pounds but they are HUGE.
Got mine mounted and tried to put the bumper on and it won't clear the top housing. I'll have to shave about 3/8" off the edge of the bumper to clear and the winch is as far back as it will go.

Winch is pushed back hard on the mount, and there's barely clearance between it and grill so it's not that.

Jeep Gladiator Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12k Synthetic Winch on Sale 20201014_161828_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12k Synthetic Winch on Sale 20201014_161814_HDR

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Now I just need to figure out how to mount it on an OVERLAND. I guess it means if I don't use the receiver winch mount, I have to buy a bumper, but I actually don't mind the look of the stock bumper and don't want to spend another 500 bucks for a new bumper.
Maybe find a Rubicon steel bumper take-off LOL. Right.
Try this one from Rock hard. Mounts to factory plastic bumper

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rock-ha...MIp5rbyMK17AIVhcDACh3nYQIpEAQYBCABEgIq-PD_BwE

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You apparently missed my posted just before yours - that's me mounting the Apex 12000 winch on my Overland and trying to fit a steel Rubicon-style bumper around it.

Checked your link - wow, don't want a winch clear up in front of the grill blocking air....... wondering how that would bolt to the FRAME rails like others do.

Sponsored

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
You apparently missed my posted just before yours - that's me mounting the Apex 12000 winch on my Overland and trying to fit a steel Rubicon-style bumper around it.

Checked your link - wow, don't want a winch clear up in front of the grill blocking air....... wondering how that would bolt to the FRAME rails like others do.
Yeah, I apparently missed it sorry. They do mount to the frame if you watch the youtube video on their website

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
They may not be 85 pounds but they are HUGE.
Got mine mounted and tried to put the bumper on and it won't clear the top housing. I'll have to shave about 3/8" off the edge of the bumper to clear and the winch is as far back as it will go.

Winch is pushed back hard on the mount, and there's barely clearance between it and grill so it's not that.

Jeep Gladiator Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12k Synthetic Winch on Sale 20201014_161814_HDR

Are you working with the Ebay steel Mopar look alike bumper? I am considering that bumper. I'm hoping that a Mopar take off will come up for sale locally though.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes - and, granted, it's a product made in China, blah blah blah and I do have a couple of "complaints" but they are minor in the grand scheme
I'm taking pictures and making notes and will post a thread on my experiences with it, MY mistakes, what I learned, how others can skip my learning steps and more.

Right now, though, I have a QUESTION related to this and other winches (as opposed to wenches, no need to ask about that)

WHERE are others routing the CABLES for this winch, or even others, IF THEY ARE NOT relocating the box on top.
After a couple of quick mods I have plenty of room for the electrical box on the top of the winch, but I would like to know - where is everyone running the cables up to the battery????
There's almost no open paths up to the top from where a winch mounts. I could see a couple of "idea" places, but I'm not totally impressed with those paths.
I want the cablres safe, tucked out of the way, not in the way of any future plans, etc.
I WILL be using a cut-off switch, the one that's supplied with this winch but that won't matter as all I am looking for is - what path are people using to get from A (the winch) to B (the battery area) ??

I am also going to have to get creative with the clutch lever - without the bar, it rubs on the top of the bumper - WITH the bar - you can't get there.........

jeep671

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon COD MW3
Harbor Freight has a Super Coupon 20% off ANY SINGLE ITEM, valid until 12/31/2020. I just tried it on their online store and it worked. Coupon Code 16280135. Here's the coupon ...

I am so bummed!!!! I ordered this and Harbor Freight Cancelled my order. I live on Guam, so I have to ship it to my Ocean Freight Forwarder. They sent me an email that they have a policy NOT to ship to brokers, agents, warehouses, and forwarders. To add salt to injury, they told me not to contact them regarding this issue. I received another email stating that they are cancelling my order upon my request, which didn't happen.

Yesterday, they sent me a survey to fill out. I mentioned this ordeal in the survey and that their shipping policy and terms did not state it at the time prior to my order. I always review these since I live outside the continental USA. I am just bummed out that I could not take advantage of the discounts provided, which was 5% more than the coupon I posted, which I would have spent $499.72. Since this incident, which is the first, I am verifying with online vendors that they can ship to my ocean freight forwarder. It is a PITA, but I do not want this to happen again. Oh well, just have to save a little more to get another brand of winch.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I've been looking at winches. Only ones I can find that are still US made with US steel are the Warn Zeon and XP series. Everything else is made in china....man, I can't imagine being a place where you legit need your winch and it doesnt work because the chinese motor or chinese steel gears or chinese electronics fail mid pull.

Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it.
Sponsored