Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12k Synthetic Winch on Sale

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
The look-alike bumper is identical in every way as far as size, fitment, shape, etc. You can interchange all parts without issue. You can put the wings from the eBay bumper on the MOPAR bumper, you can put the bezels from the MOPAR bumper on the eBay bumper, the bars are the same fit and so on.
If I was doing it again, I'd put washers between the bumper and the winch plate to push the bumper forward about 1/4" and then likely not need to trim anything. Spacing the plate forward with washers may have helped with clearance for the power cable but I got that taken care of pretty easily with some manipulating of how the cable is attached inside that top box, and carefully "bending" the cable by hand when warm and clamping it in place. My cable doesn't touch the grill.

The winch plate doesn't attach to the bumper at all - it should be attached at the frame horns where the bumper attaches to the frame and have braces running down to the frame to support it at the rear and sides - at least these do.

I used heat shrink over the cable where it exits the box, and a clamp holding the cable forward away from the grill.
20201014_161828_HDR.jpg

I did mock-up by bolting the plate to the frame horns on each side, and those two large black bolts attach a bracket to the plate which also bolts to the frame below.

20201013_170926.jpg

I got everything in place where I wanted it, put a floor jack under the winch plate to hold it in place while I removed the bolts that held it to the front ends of the frame so I could position the bumper. If I had thought ahead or realized the clearance issues between the top of the winch and the bumper, I'd have put washers on the bumper bolts to space it forward from the winch and plate a bit. I may still have needed to trim a bit - and it turned out fine, really.

20201014_161814_HDR.jpg

These are the brackets that hold the rear/sides of the winch plate to the frame ->
20201014_095646_HDR.jpg

20201014_095632.jpg

I had to trim the "release" or "clutch" lever - if I had left the bar off - no problem, or if I had used the Warn bar which is wider it would not have been any issue. I may buy the warn bar at some point because of better clearance and the fact it sort of closes the open end of the tow hooks, making them more like loops so soft shackles and so forth can't slip off.

20201015_145654.jpg

Basically, the bumper I have is exactly like the MOPAR labeled bumper in all ways except finish (perhaps some other ways but it's the exact same shape and size) so any issues with one will be an issue with the other.

I have used my winch to pull a car out of a snowy/icy ditch. Wasn't real steep, not a huge load like pulling it out of deep mud with suction, but still, it was working. I truck driver hauling scrap iron pulled up behind me just in case I had to tie my truck to his to prevent my truck sliding on the ice and snow but my truck stayed put. I had parked on a level area with rougher ice and some traction and ran out almost all of my rope.
I have the same bumper that came with the winch plate. Did you use the winch plate that came with the bumper? I have seen others say it isnt strong enough but it seems pretty substantial to me. If you did use the provided winch plate, have you been able to test it out with the winch to see how it holds up?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same bumper that came with the winch plate. Did you use the winch plate that came with the bumper? I have seen others say it isnt strong enough but it seems pretty substantial to me. If you did use the provided winch plate, have you been able to test it out with the winch to see how it holds up?
Yes, I used the provided winch plate. (the one that came with this bumper)
It seems substantial IMO. Since the winch I have covers a lot of the plate and bolts to the plate not far from the back and edges, and the frame brackets at each side are substantial and clamp it not only to brace it but more than double the thickness with those big bolts and washers, I felt it would be fine.
I didn't think to get pictures but I did pull a car out of a 'ditch" last month. His car was low enough my feet on the shoulder were above the roof of his car. It was a load, I could hear things working but it did fine.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
My bumper came with the plate in the pictures. I agree - you want something stout but then you have to decide if you will ever pull hard enough to bend what you plan on buying. There's a couple of ways to look at these, too - strength where they attach to the frame ends up front - how much meat is there from the mounting pads down to the plate itself, bends make plates stronger, the winch being bolted to the plate make the plate more rigid, especially if you use good bolts and large thick washers - which help reinforce.

I can't see myself actually needing all that 12K - but then I'd rather have too much winch and not have to keep resting it to cool it off, and not have to run all the rope out to get the pulling power I need (and it was cheap and has good reviews)
Anyway, I figured that big winch bolted solidly to the steel plate means there's little "lone plate" left to bend and flex for my own use.
If I ever plan on taking it to where people REALLY abuse even tough Jeeps - I may change my mind and upgrade the plate but I'd bet I'll never bend it.
Some day I have thought of making other lower brackets to connect it to the frame and make those really stout to reinforce the plate even further.

The only HF winch mount I've seen is the universal type that appears to attach to the top of the frame - can't comment on their winch mounts. Maybe there's some other type. Some people in the past have seemed happy with that type.......
I purchased the Badland also... your right , great reviews and the price was right. Most likely I will go with the Warn winch plate.. seems to be solid and is made to bolt up to the oem steel bumper... according to their website, its compatible with the badland 12K. Thanks again.

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $400 for mine back in May with the 2yr warranty added in as well. It's good to know a store manager at Harbor Freight. I got to use to a 20% discount and he gave me his discount on it as well. Shipped right to the house. Love mine.

PXL_20200913_173330619.jpg
Hey Jamie, not sure if you checked but how much weight over stock did the wench and bumper add to your Gladiator?

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Jamie, not sure if you checked but how much weight over stock did the wench and bumper add to your Gladiator?
My wife would kill me if I had a wench on my Jeep...........

Seriously, the danged steel bumper was crazy heavy - I bet 80 pounds.
The specs for the winch say 86 pounds.
The original plastic bumper is light - not even 20 pounds, I'd bet. So I'm thinking bumper and winch at 166 minus 15 for the original bumper plus xx for the skid plate - probably added at least 160 pounds net.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how much the original bumper weighs but my setup full width rugged rider bumper and badlands winch was 165lbs total. My bumper was 82lbs and the winch weighs 83lbs

Holes

Banned
Banned
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Driver / Welder / Father
Looks like ShadowsPapa was right about on the money.

Harbor Freight has a 25% off any single item coupon tomorrow...

Hopefully everyone already has their Apex and there are some available for sale.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Looks like ShadowsPapa was right about on the money.

Harbor Freight has a 25% off any single item coupon tomorrow...

Hopefully everyone already has their Apex and there are some available for sale.
I just checked HF website. See,s price went up $50 just before the sale. Now listed at $649.99

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Thanks for posting up about the coupon. I don’t need a winch at the moment, but I got a good deal on a recovery strap. $55 out the door.👍

Jeep Gladiator Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12k Synthetic Winch on Sale D1AA4B0D-1D6F-44C4-8C67-FFD68F6191B1

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I just checked HF website. See,s price went up $50 just before the sale. Now listed at $649.99
Dang. I got my Smittybilt X20 10k for $350 OTD in 2020, spent another $100 on a 100ft synthetic line and $25 on fairlead plate. HF is $650 plus tax and you only get an 80ft line. After sale price about a $40 difference

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wife and I have stopped there multiple times to look at it over the last month and it was $649. I went and grabbed it for $513 out the door yesterday. I looked at the original series 12K that i have on my JK but by the time I got the rope, hook and fairlead plate I was over $500. For me I didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up mine. Now to find a bumper. How the hell did you guys choose?
Jeep Gladiator Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12k Synthetic Winch on Sale F56474EA-EC4D-4229-8631-3EC15BBFA233
Sponsored