Sponsored

Hard top hoist

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I'm sure that is assuming the JT will appropriately fit in the garage :)
I think it'll be fine too. It's just how I have the lift positioned. It's there for a JLU that has been backed into the garage. The JT will have to go nose first. That may require some adjustment. However, due to the smaller size of the JT's top, I'm probably going to be just fine leaving it as is.
Sponsored

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
I think it'll be fine too. It's just how I have the lift positioned. It's there for a JLU that has been backed into the garage. The JT will have to go nose first. That may require some adjustment. However, due to the smaller size of the JT's top, I'm probably going to be just fine leaving it as is.
How are you going to back out after lifting the top? The roll cage will hit the rear window.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are you going to back out after lifting the top? The roll cage will hit the rear window.
I've got a 3.5" lift and 35s on my JLU. My current lift can pull the top high enough to clear the roll cage. So I'm thinkin' I'm good there.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
All the better reason to only get a soft top. My CJ-7 hard top sits on the back patio, same spot now for a few years. It's just in the way, but it is the original that came from factory.

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you work at the autoshow it will take 6 people. But in all honestly it looks like a one person job.

C57772EC-F43A-46D1-BE69-9E30E7093789.jpeg

90A626E9-3ABF-4542-AABF-E3AA0B449174.jpeg

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the better reason to only get a soft top. My CJ-7 hard top sits on the back patio, same spot now for a few years. It's just in the way, but it is the original that came from factory.
That's perfectly reasonable for someone in Ecuador. However, here in Colorado, it got down to -15F (before the windchill) a few times this year. In the mountains, it can get colder. A hard top is kinda needed.

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Newbie here, just put my deposit down for a new Gladiator yesterday (trading over from a '14 SRT) - what's going to be the best hard top hoist setup? My garage is 32' x 24' with 11'6" ceilings. Plenty of room to add a hoist...I'd prefer to run the cable/crank down the right side of my wall, OR I could mount it further back, offset to the right just so that it's not directly over the Jeep and blocking my ceiling lights? I have no experience with removing hard tops but assume I'll be doing it.

IMG_3538.JPG

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Newbie here, just put my deposit down for a new Gladiator yesterday (trading over from a '14 SRT) - what's going to be the best hard top hoist setup? My garage is 32' x 24' with 11'6" ceilings. Plenty of room to add a hoist...I'd prefer to run the cable/crank down the right side of my wall, OR I could mount it further back, offset to the right just so that it's not directly over the Jeep and blocking my ceiling lights? I have no experience with removing hard tops but assume I'll be doing it.

IMG_3538.JPG
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...del-racor-hoist-and-topsy-bracket-done.13377/

A Racor lift is about $200. Ignore the parts on this thread about the Topsy bracket. It's not usable on the Gladiator. You'll just need to use cargo straps. It's cheap, it's easy. It works.

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

IMG_3538.JPG
Lots of options available for ya.
For my previous Jeep 4dr I did like OP and mounted 4 pulleys to the ceiling and made a square rack the size of the top. Ran plastic coated wire from that through the pulleys to one metal ring then ran one cable from the ring through a pulley at the top of the wall down to a hand crank boat winch mounted on the wall at waist level. To take the top off I would BACK in under the rack, unbolt the top, lower the rack onto the roof, run ratchet straps under the top on the inside attaching either end to the rack and snug it up, then crank the handle to raise the roof and pull out from under it. when parking the Jeep I would pull in forward and the top would be hanging above the hood. To put it back on was a matter of backing in underneath, lowering it down and bolting it on.
With this Jeep I got a little “fancier” in that I made a sliding rack with Unistrut and mounted an electric winch to the sliding frame so I don’t have to be lined up so exact when taking the top off or putting it on. I can just back the Jeep in however and then move the rack to line up with the Jeep instead of the other way around. Then when the top is hanging I can also push it over toward the corner of the garage so its not in the way as much. Ignore all the crap piled on the tool bench (haven't done my spring cleaning yet) but you can see in the pic that I have the soft top hanging from the lift when the hard top is on.

5A0467E0-4412-4117-AA02-4018C9A5D3D9.jpeg

Sponsored

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
For my previous Jeep 4dr I did like OP and mounted 4 pulleys to the ceiling and made a square rack the size of the top. Ran plastic coated wire from that through the pulleys to one metal ring then ran one cable from the ring through a pulley at the top of the wall down to a hand crank boat winch mounted on the wall at waist level. To take the top off I would BACK in under the rack, unbolt the top, lower the rack onto the roof, run ratchet straps under the top on the inside attaching either end to the rack and snug it up, then crank the handle to raise the roof and pull out from under it. when parking the Jeep I would pull in forward and the top would be hanging above the hood. To put it back on was a matter of backing in underneath, lowering it down and bolting it on.
With this Jeep I got a little “fancier” in that I made a sliding rack with Unistrut and mounted an electric winch to the sliding frame so I don’t have to be lined up so exact when taking the top off or putting it on. I can just back the Jeep in however and then move the rack to line up with the Jeep instead of the other way around. Then when the top is hanging I can also push it over toward the corner of the garage so its not in the way as much. Ignore all the crap piled on the tool bench (haven't done my spring cleaning yet) but you can see in the pic that I have the soft top hanging from the lift when the hard top is on.

That's badass and makes a ton of sense with the height of your ceilings. I move quickly, already ordered the Racon and it arrives Saturday...hopefully can have it done by Sunday evening (got 2 warm weekend days of spring skiing to tend to first!) - seems like a great option with my higher ceilings.

OP
OP
Schlap

Schlap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition, 2015 JK, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 97 TJ Brute, 82 Scrambler
I finally got a chance to take the top off using the hoist I built for the Brute.
Now to figure out the windshield. It seems like I’ll have to take the wipers off to fold the windshield forward. There is no mention of dropping the windshield in the owner’s manual. Odd.

FF85B771-A0FD-451A-B7AB-6A901590C7CB.jpeg

7D6CDED1-91DD-4B8D-BA82-69169CE0F209.jpeg

CF826769-C6BE-4625-8BAE-06DB7A98DFD4.jpeg

OP
OP
Schlap

Schlap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition, 2015 JK, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 97 TJ Brute, 82 Scrambler
Better pic:

B67EA4AB-ACA7-40A2-AE5E-6EB31FC028EC.jpeg

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

do you have any more pictures/info of your sliding rack? I have been trying how to figure out something like this for my garage since the gladiator positions the roof right in the middle of my garage but if I can roll it back a few feet then I can park with the hood under the roof like I did with my wranglers. For the fact you figured out and accomplished what I thought would be a cool solution you get big points.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I’ll get some better pics tonight when I get home or tomorrow when I put the hard top back on for the winter.
Sponsored