Sponsored

Hard Top or Soft Top?

Are you or have you bought/ordered a hard top or a soft top?

• Total voters

firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLU Sahara
The soft top on the JT is far from loud. Have you driven one?
Exactly. The soft top is the same, if not quieter than the hard top. There’s a video somewhere of road tests done with sound meter app. Never understood the argument about winter either. I have no issues with cold or snow in my JLUR. It’s a Jeep, it’s supposed to be easy to go topless. That said, on the Gladiator, I can’t see going with a soft top. You’re only choices are sunrider or completely removed. Seems like a pain.
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Someone mentioned that ordering the hardtop from the factory got the rear window defogger. Does that mean the defogger wiring is not there if you just order the soft top and want the hardtop later? Can someone with just the soft top verify if the defogger wiring is there?

Little d

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Sport 4door, 2011 Silverado, awaiting Gladiator (ordered)
I’m planning to order mine with just the hard top. I am anticipating some good aftermarket soft top options, and Jeep hard tops usually sell for big money in the second hand market if I decide I prefer something else.
I, too, went with the hard top (still waiting on delivery). I do not like how the factory soft top looks when pulled back....hoping someone comes up with a better design

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I would get a Gladiator with a SOFT TOP, if it only came with half doors already!

I wish people new to jeeps could experience half doors and soft top... it’s such a difference... I’m sure many would convert. It’s all full doors and hard tops these days, which is fine, but not my thing.

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
I would get a Gladiator with a SOFT TOP, if it only came with half doors already!

I wish people new to jeeps could experience half doors and soft top... it’s such a difference... I’m sure many would convert. It’s all full doors and hard tops these days, which is fine, but not my thing.
Why not just take the doors off?
My first Wrangler back in 1988 had the half doors. They were cool but I really prefer going doorless over the 1/2 doors.

Sponsored

Cyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Have the soft top wishing I ordered with a hard top.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Exactly. The soft top is the same, if not quieter than the hard top. There’s a video somewhere of road tests done with sound meter app. Never understood the argument about winter either. I have no issues with cold or snow in my JLUR. It’s a Jeep, it’s supposed to be easy to go topless. That said, on the Gladiator, I can’t see going with a soft top. You’re only choices are sunrider or completely removed. Seems like a pain.
THIS!

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I’m thinking of a hard top, but concerned about leaks. I had a hard top on a JK once and leaked every time it rained. Since then, only soft tops and no leaks. So to y’all that have hard tops on your JT, any leaks?

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
For those saying they need a hard top because "winter" can I ask why the soft top is not appropriate for year round use? I've never owned a Jeep (hoping to order my Gladiator soon), but I have driven smaller convertibles year round in northern Minnesota winters in the past without issue. I'm currently planning on going soft top only as I haven't had issues with this in the past.
To be perfectly honest the newer soft tops handle snow and cold quite well other than the fact you can drive miles and watch chunks of snow fly off but my last wrangler was a hard top and so is my overland. I got accustomed to the look and the defroster is nice to have. For the quick days the freedom panels are a reasonable compromise. My only issue with the hard top on the gladiator is that I haven't figured out a good way to remove the back top yet and I feel that $500 for the jbar or lang is a bit much and the gladiator puts the top right in the middle of my garage no matter which way I park so ratchet straps aren't exactly the answer. With the JK I could sit in the back and lift up but that isn't an option on the gladiator.

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
You can remove the Gladiator hard top with one arm and walk right off the bed with it.
can you show a pic or video of this? I went to attempt that and while the weight is no issue (the top is light) the wingspan needed to reach the "lip" left me feeling like I had too high a probability of damaging the top or possibly the paint on the truck itself and I don't want to roll the dice on a top that costs a few grand. Even if money wasn't a concern if I needed to order a replacement top today there is a good chance it will be days if not weeks before one is received. However if I can see how your doing it maybe your approaching it in a way I just haven't realized.

Sponsored

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I’m thinking of a hard top, but concerned about leaks. I had a hard top on a JK once and leaked every time it rained. Since then, only soft tops and no leaks. So to y’all that have hard tops on your JT, any leaks?
My first hard top JK had the leaks and I know exactly your frustration as it happened from the first rain it saw and there were many trips to the dealership and forums reading (that stupid 1/4 inch piece of rubber). The last JK was better but still had some issues. I heard the JL was much better. So far I have seen none of those issues on the gladiator thankfully.

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
My first hard top JK had the leaks and I know exactly your frustration as it happened from the first rain it saw and there were many trips to the dealership and forums reading (that stupid 1/4 inch piece of rubber). The last JK was better but still had some issues. I heard the JL was much better. So far I have seen none of those issues on the gladiator thankfully.
Thank you, that is good to hear, as I am like a lot of others, that I don't really care for the look of the soft top. The hard top is "Cleaner" looking to me.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Should add an "other" option in the voting.

I also did not like the look of the soft top (specifically the lines across the top). Instead I installed a sunrider top replacing the freedom tops. It's been great. I also installed a hoist in the garage to help get the hard top off when running topless. Nothing like options.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
can you show a pic or video of this? I went to attempt that and while the weight is no issue (the top is light) the wingspan needed to reach the "lip" left me feeling like I had too high a probability of damaging the top or possibly the paint on the truck itself and I don't want to roll the dice on a top that costs a few grand. Even if money wasn't a concern if I needed to order a replacement top today there is a good chance it will be days if not weeks before one is received. However if I can see how your doing it maybe your approaching it in a way I just haven't realized.
The top is hanging on the ceiling, but I can later.

But...open the rear window and reach thru with one and lift it that way, thats how I do it.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Why not just take the doors off?
My first Wrangler back in 1988 had the half doors. They were cool but I really prefer going doorless over the 1/2 doors.
1)I’m not always at home when the weather permits removal of doors...I can toss the uppers in the back, but full doors gotta be left in the garage.
2) half doors are THE PERFECT height for an arm rest
3) kids in the back get the door-less feel but the wife seems to think they’re safer ‍♂
4) super light-weight. My wife can easily remove and reinstall them when I’m not around.
5) the Jeep actually looks good BECAUSE of the doors, not in spite of the doors.

Honestly, the only problem that I have with half doors is that I love them so much that I have a hard time removing them as much as I’d like.

Oh, and Soft Top for me. It’s cheaper now, and I’ll be able to find a Hard Top at some point for a whole lot less than the dual top group. I mean, I ordered a manual transmission...and I don’t feel like I’m going that far out on a limb to assume that anyone willing to buy a used Gladiator with a manual won’t be put off by a soft top.
Sponsored