Sponsored

Hard Top or Soft Top?

Are you or have you bought/ordered a hard top or a soft top?

• Total voters

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Bought a Hard top because I wanted to be able to carry a canoe on the roof, and fear of the soft top rear window getting sun fogged over time. I do plan on getting an aftermarket soft top when cheaper options become available. Almost wish I'd gone soft top now as it's so much easier to get completely topless, or get it back up quickly in case of rain.
Sponsored

sodak

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator rubicon
As been said..living in snow country.
Need the hard top.
But will be purchasing..the Bestop.softtop for hardtop..had it on my Jk and loved that thing..it survived a baseball size hailstorm with me In it..hardtop not so much..lol.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Soft Top here.. was what I bought on the lot. My 1998 TJ had a soft top. Was fine for Illinois and Minnesota winters for 9 years. Soft tops much better now. No worries

Sponsored

1STJ100

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
TV Director
I have the dual top. I put the soft top on as soon as I got her home from the dealer. Surprisingly quiet. I'd say it's been retracted 90% of the summer when it's not raining. I agree that it looks pretty awful retracted...but you don't see it when your driving. Plan on putting the hard top back on in mid-october for the NE winter.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I wish I could have afforded the painted hard top.

instead i optioned the premium soft top, not the stock soft top

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
For those saying they need a hard top because "winter" can I ask why the soft top is not appropriate for year round use? I've never owned a Jeep (hoping to order my Gladiator soon), but I have driven smaller convertibles year round in northern Minnesota winters in the past without issue. I'm currently planning on going soft top only as I haven't had issues with this in the past.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
For those saying they need a hard top because "winter" can I ask why the soft top is not appropriate for year round use? I've never owned a Jeep (hoping to order my Gladiator soon), but I have driven smaller convertibles year round in northern Minnesota winters in the past without issue. I'm currently planning on going soft top only as I haven't had issues with this in the past.
This is just one of those things people say to justify spending more money. Soft tops are completely fine for winter.

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
I live in Utah and we get a pretty good amount of snow most years. I have a 2012 JKR with a soft top and never had any issues with snow. I am still on the original top. I don't think you will have any problems with yours either.

EDIT: I do want to add that our snow out here is the light and fluffy variety. Usually not heavy like east coast snow.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Attorney
Soft tops look weird on and weirder retracted. And they’re loud.

Toss in the fact that the hard tops are so light anyone can remove them...very little reason to get a soft top now.
The soft top is a lot easier to remove than the hard top and it's not close. The hard tops are getting easier and easier to remove, but most people cannot remove them on their own. I think the only reason to go hard top is if your Jeep is being used as an overlander and you need the rack space. Some people don't like the look of the soft top, but I don't care because I'm not looking at it. The wranglers fold back on top now, too, so it's not like the Gladiator is any different. Love that I had the top thrown all the way back with a bed full of brush to take to the dump. It's just so easy to open and close the softtop. I will add that I also keep mine in the garage so it's never going to have 30" of wet heavy snow on it.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The soft top is a lot easier to remove than the hard top and it's not close. The hard tops are getting easier and easier to remove, but most people cannot remove them on their own. I think the only reason to go hard top is if your Jeep is being used as an overlander and you need the rack space. Some people don't like the look of the soft top, but I don't care because I'm not looking at it. The wranglers fold back on top now, too, so it's not like the Gladiator is any different. Love that I had the top thrown all the way back with a bed full of brush to take to the dump. It's just so easy to open and close the softtop. I will add that I also keep mine in the garage so it's never going to have 30" of wet heavy snow on it.
You can remove the Gladiator hard top with one arm and walk right off the bed with it.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Attorney
You can remove the Gladiator hard top with one arm and walk right off the bed with it.
You can do that. 98% of people cannot.

Reactions: DHP

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can do that. 98% of people cannot.
Most people could. It only weighs like 50lbs. (not really sure what it weights but its very light)

I'm only 5-10, 185. I do need a step latter to step off the bed tho, a box would be better. If I had a shelf on the ceiling then lifting it, turning around and shelfing it would be reasonable for most people.

Papalecki

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
My only reason for a hardtop is how I use the glad. In the fall, it’s my tailgate car, I need a roof rack to lug stuff to tailgate. Once football season is over, no more roof rack. Will go to aftermarket soft top then.
Sponsored